2018-19 season

9 minutes ago, wgstl said:

in 96 hours we went from 1 proven hall handler, to 3 veteran guards.

Goodwin - Isabell - Wiley make for a skilled backcourt, Bess can now play a more familiar role, I was afraid he was going to have to play the  2 more than I was hoping for. 

Well this is going to be awkward...politely excusing myself at the office with a massive stain in my crotch area....

William Iken likes this

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Well this is going to be awkward...politely excusing myself at the office with a massive stain in my crotch area....

you need a towel, bro. 

I certainly hope and expect that CAG can provide more than shown in the video.  After watching it, I came away with just one thought-he can shoot inside 2 feet.  I know he is better than that so i say poor job by whoever produced the video.

3 minutes ago, bauman said:

I certainly hope and expect that CAG can provide more than shown in the video.  After watching it, I came away with just one thought-he can shoot inside 2 feet.  I know he is better than that so i say poor job by whoever produced the video.

We don’t need Cg to be a 3 point threat. I assure you though, if he wants to be NBA material and leave as a sophomore to the nba like others on here have said, he will need a 3 point shot. 

1 minute ago, TFord and TRavs said:

We don’t need Cg to be a 3 point threat. I assure you though, if he wants to be NBA material and leave as a sophomore to the nba like others on here have said, he will need a 3 point shot. 

How did you get 3 pt shot ability out of my comment?  There is 18 feet of court (not reflected on the video) that I think CAG can be effective in (2 ft out to 20 ft) and I think he will be.  It is just that the video doesn't, with one execption, show that.

It is like a good free throw shooter having a video made where all he does is shoot free throws.🏀 😉

2 minutes ago, bauman said:

How did you get 3 pt shot ability out of my comment?  There is 18 feet of court (not reflected on the video) that I think CAG can be effective in (2 ft out to 20 ft) and I think he will be.  It is just that the video doesn't, with one execption, show that.

It is like a good free throw shooter having a video made where all he does is shoot free throws.🏀 😉

didnt watch video, but based on what you're saying they must have done a poor job with shooting footage.  CG has a decent shot from the elbow.  Im sure after his 2nd season they'll have him attempt the 3, but during his fr year you'll see him pull up for a few mid range. 

Just now, wgstl said:

didnt watch video, but based on what you're saying they must have done a poor job with shooting footage.  CG has a decent shot from the elbow.  Im sure after his 2nd season they'll have him attempt the 3, but during his fr year you'll see him pull up for a few mid range. 

You probably know the most about Gordon's game, and everything I have read makes me think he has a good mid-range game.  It's just not shown on the video, hence my comments on the poor quality of the video.  No negative implication for Gordon the player-i think he will be a great addition to SLU.

1 hour ago, bauman said:

49 minutes ago, bauman said:

You probably know the most about Gordon's game, and everything I have read makes me think he has a good mid-range game.  It's just not shown on the video, hence my comments on the poor quality of the video.  No negative implication for Gordon the player-i think he will be a great addition to SLU.

I counted no fewer than six mid-range jumpers or baby hooks, plus two slashes to the bucket from outside of the paint.

4 hours ago, brianstl said:

Based upon this video, the best parts of his game appear to be wide open dunks and then posing afterwards rather than getting back on defense.  I'm still not sold on him.  I hope he proves me wrong, but I think CG has the biggest potential to be a bust out of the new guys coming in.

9 minutes ago, TFord and TRavs said:

Lazy ESPN writers showing that they don’t actually follow A10 news. 3 pundits with early season predictions still have Davidson as the favorite while no other A10 following writer says so 

Can you share a link to their projections?

This numbers driven forecast using Isabell's numbers (not Wiley's yet) projects SLU as best in A-10 (and 14 seed for tourney) and 49th overall.  Note that this is projecting Isabell as SLU's best offensive player (because of his efficient play last year) and does not project Gordon or even French as major factor.

http://www.barttorvik.com/team.php?team=Saint+Louis&year=2019

14 minutes ago, TFord and TRavs said:

espn.com/ncb/bracketology?iteration=340&region=4&year=2018

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/bracketology/

Then there was another for top 36 and Davidson was in it

5 minutes ago, kwyjibo said:

This numbers driven forecast using Isabell's numbers (not Wiley's yet) projects SLU as best in A-10 (and 14 seed for tourney) and 49th overall.  Note that this is projecting Isabell as SLU's best offensive player (because of his efficient play last year) and does not project Gordon or even French as major factor.

http://www.barttorvik.com/team.php?team=Saint+Louis&year=2019

Thanks to you both. I have seen a lot of college basketball writers on Twitter say that SLU should be the team to beat in the A10 now. Of course many people chime in and say it won’t happen since Ford is the coach. If they were paying attention, they would see that he’s done a great job coaching up this team the last two years. A deep run in the tournament might change some minds.

38 minutes ago, SLURadioBoy said:

Thanks to you both. I have seen a lot of college basketball writers on Twitter say that SLU should be the team to beat in the A10 now. Of course many people chime in and say it won’t happen since Ford is the coach. If they were paying attention, they would see that he’s done a great job coaching up this team the last two years. A deep run in the tournament might change some minds.

-from my seat this year is different for CFord in that he should be coaching a roster with talent therefore a different test for him than he has had in his two previous seasons at SLU, I am confident in CFord and his and the staff's ability to coach this talent to an A10 championship and the tourney

2 hours ago, cgeldmacher said:

Based upon this video, the best parts of his game appear to be wide open dunks and then posing afterwards rather than getting back on defense.  I'm still not sold on him.  I hope he proves me wrong, but I think CG has the biggest potential to be a bust out of the new guys coming in.

Did some of you people actually watch the video?  He hits a couple of shots from near the top of the key.  He hits a jumper from about 18 feet out along the baseline.  It shows him hitting a few other jumpers.  On of few of his finishes hes show incredible footwork and body control for a player his age and size.

Let's get down on a guy because he shows he can finish strong and he flexed twice.  If it makes you feel better at all, he is actually getting back to play defense both times he flexed in the video.

HenryB likes this

24 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Did some of you people actually watch the video?  He hits a couple of shots from near the top of the key.  He hits a jumper from about 18 feet out along the baseline.  It shows him hitting a few other jumpers.  On of few of his finishes hes show incredible footwork and body control for a player his age and size.

Let's get down on a guy because he shows he can finish strong and he flexed twice.  If it makes you feel better at all, he is actually getting back to play defense both times he flexed in the video.

Its almost like French does the same thing.... and I think collectively French is held as highly on this board as any billiken ever.

5 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Peak offseason might be a discussion on whether our highest rated recruit is actually overrated. *face palm*

CAG is a damn gold basketball player. 

Not even worth responding to.  

CAG=Commander Air Group.  Definitely need to dust off the Air-Jordair logo and update it for Air-CarteAre

Even with the news/rumors of two of the freshmen not enrolling, this should be our deepest team ever. We will have guys like Santos, Foreman, Wiley coming off the bench. Each would have been a starter any of the last four years. 

The only issue I see at this point is that we have only four players who have played in games together before - Bess, Goodwin, French, and Foreman - and none of them have played together for more than a season, and Goodwin missed the home stretch of the season.

Welmer is technically the most veteran SLU player on the roster because he played in 2016-2017, but hasn't played in games with any of the four other SLU veterans.

So we're adding 7 new-to-SLU guys this year, plus 1 redshirt who has not played yet (Santos), and 1 medical redshirt who hasn't played with any of these guys (Welmer). Yes, this assumes a return to health for EW.

Based on the newness of this roster, it stands to reason that we're going to have some rough nights early on. Guys not in sync, lack of rhythm on either or both ends, turnovers, etc. So getting as many guys on campus as soon as possible and having good summer workouts and strong early-season practices is so, so crucial for this bunch. Because there's no question this is the most physical, talented roster we've ever had, and there's serious potential for a March 2019 run.

TheOne likes this