2018-19 season

Now that all of the scholarships are filled, it's time to forecast the starters (players likely to get the most minutes)  and who is coming off the bench to fill out the group of 9 -10 players who will see the floor each game.  I dont expect much variance in board members picks for the starting 5.  I will do full names to start this odd.

Here are my 9:

I'll go with what will likely be the most popular: Jordan Goodwin, Tramaine Isabell, Javon Bess, Hasahn French, and Cart'Are Gordon.  

First big off the bench - Luis Santos followed by David Foreman

First guard off the bench - Fred Thatch, followed by Damarious Jacobs

Final spot Elliot Welmer if he is healthy.

I am intrigued by Micky Pearson. I don't know much about Ingvi (Thor) Gudmundson or KC Hankton.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After the team has been as shorthanded as it has been the last few years due to transfers sitting out, injuries, and of course the suspensions last season, it's a bit surreal that we could have a full 13 scholarship player roster available. With that said, a few things:

Given that Welmer has missed 2 out of the last 3 seasons with injuries, I'm taking any contribution from him as a bonus. 

I agree with the Top 9 as mentioned in the post above, with possible changes in the order of first big and first guard off the bench.

Since we have been so shorthanded, we can't be sure how many players Ford uses in a rotation. He could stick with 8-9, or he could go 11 or 12 deep. We won't know until we get into the season and (hopefully) have all players available.

I think Ford will try all kinds of combinations with the players at hand to see what works best before the season starts. I think the starting line up and the order in which players come out of the bench may be a bit of a surprise to all of us. I have no idea what Ford will come up with, but I think it will be very good.

dennis_w likes this

Speaking of Foreman, what's up with the scare he had about a month ago? Hopefully, he's at full strength. I think the only locked in starting spots today are J Good to have you back, Bessie, and the French Connection.

Yes, the six of the seven non-Freshmen will be in the rotation.  And the seventh, EW, will get minutes if healthy.  CG will be in the rotation.  Beyond that FT and DJ have a chance, whichever can handle the pg duties best.  IG, KH and MP need to really impress with their shooting to get a role.  

1 hour ago, WVBilliken said:

Yes, the six of the seven non-Freshmen will be in the rotation.  And the seventh, EW, will get minutes if healthy.  CG will be in the rotation.  Beyond that FT and DJ have a chance, whichever can handle the pg duties best.  IG, KH and MP need to really impress with their shooting to get a role.  

Way too much work to decipher this post with all the initials.   No idea what was said.

1 minute ago, WVBilliken said:

Know the players.

Spell out their names.   They deserve that much respect

Feel free to write all the initial laced posts you want but I won't waste my time reading them.

46 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

Way too much work to decipher this post with all the initials.   No idea what was said.

20 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

Know the players.

I think this topic deserves both use of initials and spelling it out so here ya go....

WTF 

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot 

O5 I agree I wasn't thrilled with all the inbalance between classes.   Rather have more options for next year recruiting.   As I said above if not Gordon all is well.

4 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

O5 I agree I wasn't thrilled with all the inbalance between classes.   Rather have more options for next year recruiting.   As I said above if not Gordon all is well.

Before these two grad transfers we were looking at a likely starting lineup with 0 seniors. 

1 minute ago, billikenfan05 said:

Before these two grad transfers we were looking at a likely starting lineup with 0 seniors. 

I am pretty sure Bess will start and star.   And foreman will still play pretty much.  Now add the two grad transfers that's 4 scholarships for the 19 - 20 season to fill.   

1 hour ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Doesn't matter with regard to athletic eligibility.  He's a senior.

You can call him what you want.  Mr. Bess has graduated with a BA in Sociology.  He is in Graduate School.  He is not a senior.  Give the man credit for his hard work.     

in 96 hours we went from 1 proven hall handler, to 3 veteran guards.

Goodwin - Isabell - Wiley make for a skilled backcourt, Bess can now play a more familiar role, I was afraid he was going to have to play the  2 more than I was hoping for.