Tramaine Isabell - 2018 Commit - Grad Transfer

JMM28

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Last year was awful due to the situation....Nabbing these two grad transfers plus Jacobs/thatch puts “what if’s” to rest...agree next seasons roster on paper is the best SLU talent in the modern era. Remember when JGood got suspended and some posters thought recruiting was shot? Kudos to TFord and his assistants!

JohnnyJumpUp likes this

35 minutes ago, TFord and TRavs said:

Isabel feels like Adonys last year (high rated recruit with proven record) 

wiley feels like bess ( comes from top level B10 team but unproven due to injury )

while i am excited abuot isabel.   he is not what henriquez would have been.   

49 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Wow.  The write up was impressive.  It says that Isabelle makes SLU "the clear frontrunner in the A-10," and that if the Billikens can shoot the ball competently "the sky's the limit for this talented squad."

Yep, give that writer credit. He identified the biggest question about the team. That's why following up with the Wiley addition potentially addresses this. Johnson would have still had an important role on this team if he had chosen to stick around. I figure we should hear something pretty soon about a destination for JJ.

TheOne likes this

2 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

while i am excited abuot isabel.   he is not what henriquez would have been.   

Isabel and Henrique were both averaging 35 minutes a game. Isabel averaged nearly twice the points but Henriquez played stronger competition...considering Isabel’s other averages are good (rebounds/assists), I wouldn’t anticipate much of a dropoff if there is one. Unless I’m overlooking something?

1 minute ago, VeniceMenace said:

Isabel and Henrique were both averaging 35 minutes a game. Isabel averaged nearly twice the points but Henriquez played stronger competition...considering Isabel’s other averages are good (rebounds/assists), I wouldn’t anticipate much of a dropoff if there is one. Unless I’m overlooking something?

Isabell's stats will drop off significantly.  Why?  The talent around him is much stronger, the strong SLU forwards must get the ball, less shots ( no way he gets 15 shots a game),  etc.  Hoping for balanced scoring with 4 or 5 players averaging 10+ points a game with Isabell being one of those players.  Like the last couple of SLU NCAA Tourney teams.

Two sub 500 hundred seasons with very short bench in the second with some of his players is a small sample but I feel TF is not the type to stick with a player too long if he isn't producing. So if this kid produces he may rack up some points but if not he can ride the pines.

6 hours ago, almaman said:

Two sub 500 hundred seasons with very short bench in the second with some of his players is a small sample but I feel TF is not the type to stick with a player too long if he isn't producing. So if this kid produces he may rack up some points but if not he can ride the pines.

Just a quibble, but Coach Ford had only one season below .500.

16 hours ago, WVBilliken said:

Isabell's stats will drop off significantly.  Why?  The talent around him is much stronger, the strong SLU forwards must get the ball, less shots ( no way he gets 15 shots a game),  etc.  Hoping for balanced scoring with 4 or 5 players averaging 10+ points a game with Isabell being one of those players.  Like the last couple of SLU NCAA Tourney teams.

Using the slash...FG%/ 2P%/ 3P%/ FT%

Isabel grades look like this.....B / A- /D / B+

SLU team grades.....................F-/ F+ / F/ F

Regardless of the minutes he plays ...his grades will still be good.

No matter how you look at it,  he will be a big improvement especially inside the arc and at the foul line....Even  the 3 Pt shots  will still be an upgrade

When looking at recruits and grad transfers... keep that SLU team slash line in mind when evaluating the new player.

rgbilliken likes this

2 hours ago, The Wiz said:

Using the slash...FG%/ 2P%/ 3P%/ FT%

Isabel grades look like this.....B / A- /D / B+

SLU team grades.....................F-/ F+ / F/ F

Regardless of the minutes he plays ...his grades will still be good.

No matter how you look at it,  he will be a big improvement especially inside the arc and at the foul line....Even  the 3 Pt shots  will still be an upgrade

When looking at recruits and grad transfers... keep that SLU team slash line in mind when evaluating the new player.

While we are admittedly not the best shooting team in the country, how is it possible that the team as a whole earns “F” across the board...?

The One, he is talking about the most recent set of statistics (last year's) or perhaps the average of the SLU statistics over several years. Whichever way it is, the grades reflect the not so very good teams we have been fielding last year and a few years before that. We have every reason to expect that after 8 to 10 games this year, we will be showing what our current team is likely to do, not what prior teams did. I believe that is the number of games he needs before his model catches up with the current players.

20 minutes ago, Old guy said:

The One, he is talking about the most recent set of statistics (last year's) or perhaps the average of the SLU statistics over several years. Whichever way it is, the grades reflect the not so very good teams we have been fielding last year and a few years before that. We have every reason to expect that after 8 to 10 games this year, we will be showing what our current team is likely to do, not what prior teams did. I believe that is the number of games he needs before his model catches up with the current players.

Those were grades for 2017-18 only.

On 6/11/2018 at 1:12 PM, cgeldmacher said:

Wow.  The write up was impressive.  It says that Isabelle makes SLU "the clear frontrunner in the A-10," and that if the Billikens can shoot the ball competently "the sky's the limit for this talented squad."

I was listening to Jon Rothstein's latest podcast and he mentioned the Isabell and Wiley commitments. He said those commitments clearly make SLU the frontrunner in the A-10 next year and there's really no debate about it. He talks about it briefly around the 20 minute mark if anyone is interested.

HenryB likes this

2 hours ago, Old guy said:

Understood. Thanks.

4 hours ago, TheOne said:

While we are admittedly not the best shooting team in the country, how is it possible that the team as a whole earns “F” across the board...?

First, let me make a slight correction and addition...the slash above was from the Bills final game ..... a corrected grade slash using the first week in April (when everyone's season is over) is

F+ / F+ / F+ / F ...... Pts /gm...F........ Off Reb....C+...slightly better but still dismal

To answer your question as to why the grades were so poor .. ...we couldn't shoot.

Let's look at the offensive numbers differently....using 351 as the base ...The total number of Div I schools.... and then replace our grades with ranking numbers

302 / 302/ 314/ 334......Pts/ gm...328....Off Reb...133

I don't think anybody can argue that we didn't earn our F's....................

And yet we finished 500 (only counting D-1 games)...pretty amazing....Done through good coaching and defense.....Here are our Def stats

B / B+/ C....that is  FG% / 2P% / 3P%.......Pts/gm ...A......Def Reb ...A

Overall Bills grade for the season was C+....which is what I predicted preseason

And that's why analysts are saying we will win the A-10 next year....figuring that the new people will add some much needed offense. .  I will say this ....had we just had an average offense this past year....... a C grade..... we would have won the A-10 and been "Dancing"

Even with one of the weakest offenses we finished above average......Next year will be better.

1 hour ago, The Wiz said:

First, let me make a slight correction and addition...the slash above was from the Bills final game ..... a corrected grade slash using the first week in April (when everyone's season is over) is

F+ / F+ / F+ / F ...... Pts /gm...F........ Off Reb....C+...slightly better but still dismal

To answer your question as to why the grades were so poor .. ...we couldn't shoot.

Let's look at the offensive numbers differently....using 351 as the base ...The total number of Div I schools.... and then replace our grades with ranking numbers

302 / 302/ 314/ 334......Pts/ gm...328....Off Reb...133

I don't think anybody can argue that we didn't earn our F's....................

And yet we finished 500 (only counting D-1 games)...pretty amazing....Done through good coaching and defense.....Here are our Def stats

B / B+/ C....that is  FG% / 2P% / 3P%.......Pts/gm ...A......Def Reb ...A

Overall Bills grade for the season was C+....which is what I predicted preseason

And that's why analysts are saying we will win the A-10 next year....figuring that the new people will add some much needed offense. .  I will say this ....had we just had an average offense this past year....... a C grade..... we would have won the A-10 and been "Dancing"

Even with one of the weakest offenses we finished above average......Next year will be better.

To quote NYB, "Towel me"