BBQ Discussion (formerly Welcome to SLU KC Hankton!)

1 hour ago, dlarry said:

Legends is my favorite Sandwich shop by far.

I use to love Giancarlos a little place on Hampton but it closed down a few years back.

Macklind Avenue Deli was another good one but it burned down when I bottle rocket landed on their roof.

Giancarlos was great.  Service was always indifferent, but they had outstanding food.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

17 hours ago, brianstl said:

Giancarlos was great.  Service was always indifferent, but they had outstanding food.

The service was awful.

I never understood how I could order 1 sandwich and it would take 20+ minutes to make. It was crazy.

When I lived in soulard I went to Blues City Deli pretty much once every 2 weekends. I have to get back there as soon as possible. Haven’t been in probably 5 years but to me they have the best sandwiches in St. Louis and you can’t beat the live music. 

56 minutes ago, Westy03 said:

When I lived in soulard I went to Blues City Deli pretty much once every 2 weekends. I have to get back there as soon as possible. Haven’t been in probably 5 years but to me they have the best sandwiches in St. Louis and you can’t beat the live music. 

This.

2 hours ago, Westy03 said:

I really like Blues City Deli, but have it more like 4 on my Mt. Rushy. What is your go to order there? Really cool place.

Another place that has good sandwiches despite not being a deli is Union Loafers. They also have some real good pizza.

13 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

I really like Blues City Deli, but have it more like 4 on my Mt. Rushy. What is your go to order there? Really cool place.

Another place that has good sandwiches despite not being a deli is Union Loafers. They also have some real good pizza.

What's your top 3?

22 minutes ago, almaman said:

What's your top 3?

Oh man, I realize this might get crushed by some since it is so tough and subjective, but I’d go:

Gioia’s, Adriana’s, the Gramophone, Blues City Deli

Living in south city (in the past), those first two have big time sentimental value to me. Actually ran into Majerus and Porter Moser at Adriana’s the day I got engaged. Picked up sandwiches there (for a picnic where I proposed) and ran into the coaching staff eating outside and chatted with Porter who introduced me for the first time to Majerus. It was the afternoon after their first practice of the season when Willie and Kwamain had just received their unfortunate ruling.

What does your list look like? Definite honorable mention for me are LeGrand’s (can’t imagine how many times I had that hungover), Union Loafers, and the Smokehouse Market (I live in Chesterfield now and probably go there about once a week for a sandwich).

26 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

My current Mt. Rushmore of STL sandwich shops: Blues City, Gramophone, Gioia’s, and LeGrand’s. I put Union Loafer’s right there too.

My go-to at Blues City is Mel’s Blue and Tangy. Around the time of the NHL All Star game they had a special that was bomb.

TheChosenOne likes this

10 minutes ago, almaman said:

I like Fozzie's on Big Bend. Broadway Oyster Bar has a delicious Muffaletto and they're seafood sandwiches of course.

Broadway Oyster bar is great.

It’s probably my favorite place to hangout during spring and summer.

51 minutes ago, dlarry said:

1.LeGrands

2. Blues City 

3.Adrianas

4. Gioia’s

Agree with LeGrands, Adrianas, and Gioias. Some sandwiches that are really good from non-sandwich shop places in StL, Peacemaker's Buffalo Crawfish Po'Boy and Southern's Catfish Po'Boy. Both are great sandwiches.

I had that catfish as a plate at Southern with the chicken strips which I ordered with General Tso's sauce. They said they put it on the catfish too if that's what you order. Fish was thru the roof delicious. Can't wait to get back there for more. If someone else is buying Peacemaker is where we're off to.

1 hour ago, JohnnyJumpUp said:

Agree with LeGrands, Adrianas, and Gioias. Some sandwiches that are really good from non-sandwich shop places in StL, Peacemaker's Buffalo Crawfish Po'Boy and Southern's Catfish Po'Boy. Both are great sandwiches.

The steak sandwich on garlic cheese bread at Biggie’s