BBQ Discussion (formerly Welcome to SLU KC Hankton!)

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

17 hours ago, GoSluBills said:

Schnuck's St. Louis Style frozen pizza is the bee's knees.

Saw those when I was looking for the best frozen thin crust pizza in the land.............Mama Lucia's. Has Schnucks been making pizza for a while? I've never noticed them until yesterday. Almost grabbed one of those pies.

Just now, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Saw those when I was looking for the best frozen thin crust pizza in the land.............Mama Lucia's. Has Schnucks been making pizza for a while? I've never noticed them until yesterday. Almost grabbed one of those pies.

Mama Lucias is good but I always find it needed more cheese 

3 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Mama Lucias is good but I always find it needed more cheese 

Interesting. I've always found Mama Lucia's to have an adequate amount of cheese.

I don't think I"m a fan of Dogtown Pizza. Don't get me wrong I love toppings but they go a bit overboard, even with a simple pepperoni pizza.

Lena's is okay too.

I've always thought Shakespeare's Pizza in Columbia was overrated but my wife bought a frozen one last month and it actually wasn't bad.

12 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

i believe schnucks has a lot of private label arrangements for "their" products.  i.e. maybe mama lucia's or even imo's makes but they package for Schnucks.   i know imo's has a frozen distribution facility i believe down by the city museum one block off of washington.    

34 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i believe schnucks has a lot of private label arrangements for "their" products.  i.e. maybe mama lucia's or even imo's makes but they package for Schnucks.   i know imo's has a frozen distribution facility i believe down by the city museum one block off of washington.    

There sure is. Stopped by there a year ago to grab a few frozen pizzas before heading up to Chicago.

2 hours ago, hoppybeer said:

I'm a fan of TJ's pizzas. They sell them at a little grocery store near where I live. I tried one of the Gioia's hot salami pizza's a couple of months ago and it was ok, but not something i felt like I'd need to run out and get again. 

Have you had their salami sandwich? does it taste anything like that?

1 hour ago, almaman said:

Have you had their salami sandwich? does it taste anything like that?

That's what I was hoping for when I bought it, unfortunately it doesn't taste the same. The sauce throws it off. They should have used a garlic infused olive oil for the base or something similar instead of a tomato sauce. 

14 minutes ago, hoppybeer said:

That's what I was hoping for when I bought it, unfortunately it doesn't taste the same. The sauce throws it off. They should have used a garlic infused olive oil for the base or something similar instead of a tomato sauce. 

thanks my kind of answer. That's kind of what I thought would be the deal.

1 minute ago, TheChosenOne said:

Gioia’s was so choice for lunch today. Didn’t get a pizza this time, but will definitely do so next time. I went with the roast beef and hot salami sandwich, really killed my afternoon productivity, but so damn good.

Crowded? carryout only? can you go inside?

29 minutes ago, almaman said:

Crowded? carryout only? can you go inside?

We ordered online and then they delivered it to our car, I honestly didn’t see whether you could go inside. We grabbed some groceries at DiGregorio’s, then ordered our sandwiches online, and they were ready about 10 minutes later. Easy process and the sandwiches were delicious as usual.

1 hour ago, TheChosenOne said:

Gioia’s was so choice for lunch today. Didn’t get a pizza this time, but will definitely do so next time. I went with the roast beef and hot salami sandwich, really killed my afternoon productivity, but so damn good.

So many great place to get sandwich in that general area. Gioia’s, Adriana’s, Legrand’s and Mom’s.

The Chicken Parmigiana across the street from Gioia’s at Gian Tony’s is one of my favorite meals.

1 hour ago, TheChosenOne said:

We ordered online and then they delivered it to our car, I honestly didn’t see whether you could go inside. We grabbed some groceries at DiGregorio’s, then ordered our sandwiches online, and they were ready about 10 minutes later. Easy process and the sandwiches were delicious as usual.

thanks getting hungry

19 hours ago, brianstl said:

So many great place to get sandwich in that general area. Gioia’s, Adriana’s, Legrand’s and Mom’s.

The Chicken Parmigiana across the street from Gioia’s at Gian Tony’s is one of my favorite meals.

For sure, Gioia’s and Adriana’s are still favorites of mine despite no longer living in that area. One of my current favorites is the Gramophone.

brianstl likes this

On 4/16/2020 at 6:52 PM, brianstl said:

Legrands is my favorite Sandwich shop by far.

I use to love Giancarlos a little place on Hampton but it closed down a few years back.

Macklind Avenue Deli was another good one but it burned down when I bottle rocket landed on their roof.