BBQ Discussion (formerly Welcome to SLU KC Hankton!)

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, DeSmetBilliken said:

Agreed. And they have an outstanding curbside pickup option right now!

Growing up, I lived walking distance from The Vill. Their chili cheese fries are no joke as well. 

• davidnark changed the title to BBQ Discussion (formerly Welcome to SLU KC Hankton!)
19 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

I know people are mostly talking about BBQ, but since I saw burgers mentioned, Village Bar in Des Peres is ELITE when it comes to burgers.

My fiance's parents live right down the road behind Circle 7. Village is indeed a treat. Olive and Oak is the true king when it comes to best STL burger. Stoplight Drive-In is also fantastic if you're ever down in Jeffco

6 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

My fiance's parents live right down the road behind Circle 7. Village is indeed a treat. Olive and Oak is the true king when it comes to best STL burger. Stoplight Drive-In is also fantastic if you're ever down in Jeffco

I’ve heard a lot about Olive + Oak burgers, but haven’t made it there yet. If I’m not mistaken, they don’t open til 4 and I work nights. I’ll have to make it a priority. I love a great burger.

good thread name change. I had my first Village burger about a year ago. nothing special in my book. Have always favored in the 1/2# burger category is O'connells. All the 10$ plus burgers in town I've had are tasty; 5 when that's what it was when they first moved to the Hill, O & O, Big Sky all tasty but pricey. Hear raves about Macs on Cherokee, price hard to beat over at Fast Eddies.

1 minute ago, shempie said:

I put BBQ and burgers in there next to pizza , when it's good it's great, and when it's bad it's still good.

The Block has a good burger also and Dalie's has good BBQ. SIAP. 

I currently live close to Dalie’s. I believe they’re under the Pappy’s umbrella. Dalie’s is very good.

How does everyone feel about Carl’s Drive-In? I think it’s good, not great. But their root beer is worth the price of admission. And it’s a cool, quaint little place to have lunch. But I think they get more recognition than they probably are due.

Just now, Reinert310 said:

I currently live close to Dalie’s. I believe they’re under the Pappy’s umbrella. Dalie’s is very good.

Very good. had a great date night few summers ago. Picked up 2 full dinners from Dalie's and went to Stovall's way out Manchester. they have no food so you can bring there if you go out in their huge outdoor area. Pappy's, Adam's, Bogart's and Dalies all Pappy family. They have another location somewhere off the wall like Germany or something. can't remember and tried to look up but could not find today.

Ironbills likes this

3 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

How does everyone feel about Carl’s Drive-In? I think it’s good, not great. But their root beer is worth the price of admission. And it’s a cool, quaint little place to have lunch. But I think they get more recognition than they probably are due.

I had a substance problem with IBC root beer. Quit soda in 87. Going to Carl's I would not be able to resist those big frosty mugs, damn taste it now. we're great burgers for the price back in my juicing days :)

1 minute ago, almaman said:

Very good. had a great date night few summers ago. Picked up 2 full dinners from Dalie's and went to Stovall's way out Manchester. they have no food so you can bring there if you go out in their huge outdoor area. Pappy's, Adam's, Bogart's and Dalies all Pappy family. They have another location somewhere off the wall like Germany or something. can't remember and tried to look up but could not find today.

I think it is Germany. I had a couple buddies that used to work at Dalie’s and I remember hearing about the location in Germany.

1 minute ago, almaman said:

I had a substance problem with IBC root beer. Quit soda in 87. Going to Carl's I would not be able to resist those big frosty mugs, damn taste it now. we're great burgers for the price back in my juicing days :)

Lol. I quit soda like 2 months ago. I didn’t think I’d miss it as much as I do. 

7 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

I think it is Germany. I had a couple buddies that used to work at Dalie’s and I remember hearing about the location in Germany.

correct I did not want to post without proof as I almost fainted when I saw that somewhere.

6 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

Lol. I quit soda like 2 months ago. I didn’t think I’d miss it as much as I do. 

Seltzers we're becoming a thing when I quit and were my carbonated methadone. I'm thinking I would weigh double my current weight if still guzzling pop. when I see sodas I favored now I can taste still, IBC and Dr Pepper especially.

8 minutes ago, almaman said:

correct I did not want to post without proof as I almost fainted when I saw that somewhere.

Seltzers we're becoming a thing when I quit and were my carbonated methadone. I'm thinking I would weigh double my current weight if still guzzling pop. when I see sodas I favored now I can taste still, IBC and Dr Pepper especially.

Dr. Pepper was always my go to, but also loved IBC and Fitz’s. I’ve become a big coffee guy the last 2 months so I don’t get caffeine headaches.

41 minutes ago, almaman said:

Adams is an interesting story. They are an offshoot but they are the only one that nobody in the current pappy's ownership has any ownership stake in.

48 minutes ago, brianstl said:

It is still hard to beat the burger at O'Connell's or Concord Grill.  I miss the burger at Dooley's.

-last time I had a burger from O'Connells I was very disappointed and I know so many who swear by them

-I do like Adams, they have great smoked wings and their smoked salami is unique and very good

50 minutes ago, brianstl said:

It is still hard to beat the burger at O'Connell's or Concord Grill.  I miss the burger at Dooley's.

The beauty of O’Conell’s is the simplicity. It’s a very good burger for a good price. (If you like Fried Mushrooms O’Conell’s are great!)

Mac’s is awesome.

Hi-point diner is really good.

Stacked is mine and the wife’s go to burger spot right now. I like the build your own concept. 

Just now, dlarry said:

The beauty of O’Conell’s is the simplicity. It’s a very good burger for a good price.

Mac’s is awesome.

Hi-point diner is really good.

Stacked is mine and the wife’s go to burger spot right now. I like the build your own concept. 

-I haven't been to Mac's in their new location, but I agree with your awesome grade for them