BBQ Discussion (formerly Welcome to SLU KC Hankton!)

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

50 minutes ago, thetorch said:

They went downhill quickly when they expanded. 

They not only expanded Sugarfire but opened up Hi Pointe, took over Forest Park Boathouse, and will be opening up a chicken place in the Loop. Usually such rapid expansion spells doom for restaurateurs, but props to Mike Johnson for going hard in the paint. It's worked out so far...

-I'm a Sugarfire fan, their brisket, ribs and especially turkey are usually winners, sometimes I wonder what they are doing on their daily specials with putting 7 or 8 items together, I've tried a couple of these and now just stick with the basics 

-I'm also a fan of Hi-Pointe, that's a good burger

27 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-I'm a Sugarfire fan, their brisket, ribs and especially turkey are usually winners, sometimes I wonder what they are doing on their daily specials with putting 7 or 8 items together, I've tried a couple of these and now just stick with the basics 

-I'm also a fan of Hi-Pointe, that's a good burger

Sugarfire is good if you’re only other BBQ choice is bandanas. 

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

Best wing sauce - Cousin Hugos. 

Passed that place a million times but I've never been there. Anything good besides their wing sauce? That was my grandpa's go-to spot after golf.

Best wings in town? I hate mustard-based wing sauces so my answer may offend some: OB Clarks and Michael's Bar and Grill are my two faves. I prefer a crispier wing on the outside. STP had great trashed wings.

Beast is the best by far imo. Butcher Block location in the Grove has incredible Sunday buffet. I think all of the above bbq tasty at worst. I had left over Bandana's few weeks back and was tasty. for last 5 years I have eaten at hardly and bbq but BeastCraft. Life too short.

18 minutes ago, GBL_Bills said:

Hi-Point is incredible.

For BBQ, would prefer the Pappy's family or BEAST. Really happy that BEAST opened up a location in the Grove.

Best brisket - Salt + Smoke

Best Pork steak - Beast. I'm not even a fan of pork steaks but theirs is unbelievable. They also have great turkey.

Best sides? I think Sugarfire's sides are underwhelming. What BBQ joints have the best sides?

Just now, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Best Pork steak - Beast. I'm not even a fan of pork steaks but theirs is unbelievable. They also have great turkey.

Best sides? I think Sugarfire's sides are underwhelming. What BBQ joints have the best sides?

Pappy's. Their coleslaw is perfect. Same for their beans and the sweet potato fries.

JohnnyJumpUp likes this

10 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Passed that place a million times but I've never been there. Anything good besides their wing sauce? That was my grandpa's go-to spot after golf.

Best wings in town? I hate mustard-based wing sauces so my answer may offend some: OB Clarks and Michael's Bar and Grill are my two faves. I prefer a crispier wing on the outside. STP had great trashed wings.

Their most known for the burgers. And yes Hugos sauce is mustard based

39 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Beastcraft hands down. best house salad in town. Brussels sprouts which I kind of hate or delicious and the cauliflower is great also.  They call their candy bacon a side too and it's off the charts.

10 minutes ago, almaman said:

Beastcraft hands down. best house salad in town. Brussels sprouts which I kind of hate or delicious and the cauliflower is great also.  They call their candy bacon a side too and it's off the charts.

i love beast fries as well.    

beast imo has the best brisket in the world.   i'd take their fatty brisket over any brisket anywhere.   

1 hour ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

I’d give Salt + Smoke the nod on best sides, mostly due to their white cheddar cracker mac. Fries are good too. Throw in a popover and it’s pretty solid. 
I am a fan of Sugarfire’s brisket and turkey. I don’t have it all that often though because I got tired of being in a food coma the entire afternoon at work after getting lunch there. Bought a few pounds of turkey there the other day for Easter brunch and lunches this week. 

1 hour ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Agree on Salt+Smoke brisket - amazing

6 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Agree on Salt+Smoke brisket - amazing

-yes it is, every time I have had it, wonderfully consistent

-I like smoked wings and think the offering from Diebergs is pretty good as they are from Hooters