Jalen Johnson transferring

21 minutes ago, BourbanStreet said:

FWIW Jalen Johnson started 24/33 games last year averaging 27.2 MPG. Started 20/33 his FR year averaging 24 MPG. In his last 5 games he had 40, 40, 30, 34, 36. Was he going to start next year, no. Did he start majority of games past 2 years- yes.

He started by default last season 

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

Post disgrace title “SLU Basketball Starter Transferring”. This is half clickbait little j journalism and half slanted to make it look like ford can’t hang on to his top players....

Knowing the team, I look at that title as Ford's 2018 class is stacked and Johnson, who was a starter (regardless if by default), is moving on because he sees his minutes being cut significantly. Now I could definitely see how someone who has no clue about the team or college basketball, would probably read that differently.

16 hours ago, slufanskip said:

It seems to me people are underestimating Jalen as a player. It's like we believe the player he was as a Soph is all he'll be as a Jr. Usually the biggest jump is between the Soph and Jr years. 

Yes they are, Skip.  If you look at conference play, which is the second half of the season he was a very good player.  One would think that would only continue.  The guy shot over 82% from the FT line in conference play, which led the team.  For a team that was 335th in the country in FT's, that's a big loss.  Jalen shot 43% from 3PT in conference plan, which led the team.  And for a team that was 314th in the country in 3PT shooting, that's another big loss.  He protected the ball relatively well too.  His defense was not great, but I don't think he was a complete liability either.  Also, he appeared to be a great teammate and stayed out of trouble.  I think this is a pretty big loss.  In the end, I'm not sure what the overall impact will be (if any), but it would have been nice to have another experienced player going into next year.  

Best of luck to you, Jalen.

17 hours ago, Tonka said:

Yes they are, Skip.  If you look at conference play, which is the second half of the season he was a very good player.  One would think that would only continue.  The guy shot over 82% from the FT line in conference play, which led the team.  For a team that was 335th in the country in FT's, that's a big loss.  Jalen shot 43% from 3PT in conference plan, which led the team.  And for a team that was 314th in the country in 3PT shooting, that's another big loss.  He protected the ball relatively well too.  His defense was not great, but I don't think he was a complete liability either.  Also, he appeared to be a great teammate and stayed out of trouble.  I think this is a pretty big loss.  In the end, I'm not sure what the overall impact will be (if any), but it would have been nice to have another experienced player going into next year.  

Best of luck to you, Jalen.

-well stated, thanks for this

-also, JJ started 4 of the last 5 

On 5/4/2018 at 5:51 PM, NextYearBill said:

kid was soft... didnt fit our bulldog pack

While it's true he's not quite the physical specimen the rest of the squad will be next year, or highly aggressive, I do think we still have to give him some credit for having some mental toughness. I had a class the same time as Jalen in Xavier this year and one day we were both walking down to Chaifetz after class. It was the day after VCU and he was bummed, but if you remember, he had 0 pts in 8 min. He was going to meet with coach and didn't explicitly say about what (but I figure we're assuming playing time here). 

The next game was Dayton and he responded with 16 pts in 20 min. That's a resilient dude. I'll miss him.

3 hours ago, Cowboy said:

-also, JJ started 4 of the last 5 

Here are some numbers, with Player, Games Played-Games Started.

Anthony 32-1

Bess 33-33

Foreman 32-15

French 32-32

Goodwin 26-26

Hines 33-1

Johnson 33-24

Roby 33-33

Ford started Anthony and Hines in the last home game, over Johnson and Foreman, as a tribute for Senior Night. 

So a definition of starter depends on 'what your definition of a starter' is.  I find no issue with the title of Stu's article.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 minute ago, RUBillsFan said:

Interesting, verbal commits says they don't have any scholarships left to give (not that it would stop any school from adding a player they deem an improvement) http://www.verbalcommits.com/schools/ul-lafayette

indeed.

https://twitter.com/RaginCajunsMBB/status/1020005357291270144

1 minute ago, wgstl said:

This could simply be a case of him wanting to be closer to home, but Ford indicated he was a bit surprised by the Johnson transfer. I wonder if Pearson had never signed here if Johnson would have stayed. As it turned out with Pearson's departure, Johnson would have still been projected to fill an important role on next year's team.

There certainly could be a family reason for his decision, but I think the following might be more likely:

JJ saw the Big 4 as taking all the 4/5 minutes and Bess taking most of the #3 (wing) minutes leaving not much available for him.  In addition, he might have assumed that Welmer might be able to play and get some of the 3/4 time.