11 years ago this week

Hard to believe the Majerus era began 11 years ago at SLU. Here's a pic I took from the presser.

Thanks for the memories, coach. The light shining down on him in life and in death. Truly a remarkable person.

majerus.jpg

When I first heard rumors of coach Majerus might be our coach I thought no way just hype it will never happen.

When I saw the press conference I thought I was sleeping and it was a nice dream.

When the coach was signed it changed my thinking about SLU that anything is now possible even a final four.

I think coach Majerus would have gotten us to the final four.

With not much happening on the recruiting threads right now this is a good offseason thread with positive memories of the basketball program we all love.

Bobby Metzinger likes this

12 minutes ago, TheOne said:

Wow, what a great picture.

This image and the light shining down on Coach so accurately portray all that he brought to and ultimately accomplished at SLU. He truly brought the light to our program.

Thank you for sharing.  RIP Coach.

So true, TheOne. Felt like we were all rising out of the ashes with his hiring. Program turned a new page and attitude. I think Ford has that swagger, too. Good fundamentals as basketball players, but more importantly,  as visible people in the community. Was awesome to see so many people show up for his intro! 

He was the perfect college coach. He would meet with students for Q&A sessions, always stopped to talk on campus, and was never short of a joke. 

A moment I'll never forget: My Dad and I were in KC to see the Bills play KU at the Sprint Center, SLU threw a huge reception beforehand and May (who it is well known that I loathe) was working the room glad handing fans and boosters. This would have been the first season of the Crews tenure, when he was still technically the interim HC, Rick had had his heart attack but had not yet passed. When the May stopped by our table, we told him to "Please deliver our regards to Rick, we are praying for him," I believe my Dad said it. May became visibly emotional immediately and replied, "Please keep praying. He needs your prayers and he's a man that's worthy of them." 

I'll never forget that moment. I really, really don't like May as an AD. But in that moment, it just showed how great of an impact Rick had on people. We also knew right there and then Rick was not going to be gracing the world with his presence for much longer. I think everyone has a story like this about Rick, and that's what makes him so great. 

When the Bills won their conference tournament that year, Bill Raftery exclaimed, "Rick, I know your watching, these boys did you proud." 

1 minute ago, prebilliken said:

When the Bills won their conference tournament that year, Bill Raftery exclaimed, "Rick, I know your watching, these boys did you proud." 

I paraphrased Raftery incorrectly, here is a low quality link of the moment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wd7Vw4nrJbs

The real quote is better. 

15 hours ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Couldn't hear anything.  Could you type what Bill said?

That's because I attached the wrong link, here is the correct link.

The quote was: "Rick I know you're smiling someplace, and I know its in heaven. Good for you and your kids and what Jim's been able to do."

I think this was on Sunday, March 18th, 2013. I was in an Irish bar in Omaha and I wept like a child... And then ordered many, many drinks. 

26 minutes ago, prebilliken said:

That's because I attached the wrong link, here is the correct link.

The quote was: "Rick I know you're smiling someplace, and I know its in heaven. Good for you and your kids and what Jim's been able to do."

I think this was on Sunday, March 18th, 2013. I was in an Irish bar in Omaha and I wept like a child... And then ordered many, many drinks. 

Thanks.