Forum Upgrade: Community Moderation Feature

Forum Upgrade

Today I upgraded the forum, and I wanted to highlight two aspects of the upgrade.

First, our great private message nightmare should be over (I hope) in that when you now go to a private message thread, it should take you to the most recent unread message instead of the first message.

Second, we are going to TRY (note, this may not be permanent) a new community moderating option where users can vote to hide a post to the whole community. 

To vote, you need to go to “Report Post” link, which can be hard to see.  look in the upper right hand corner of an individual post for this link.   See the red circle below.

Tilk-1.png

Once clicked, there will be a “This Post Should Be Hidden” option. 

Tilk-2.png

If 20 different members flag a post as “This Post Should Be Hidden” and the poster of said post has a reputation below 25 (i.e. 25 “bad posts” and 0 good posts).  The post will then become hidden to all members. 

Again, I am going to see how this more community moderating goes – and the system will likely be tweaked. 

The upgrade has some other features we may play with later.  But lets see how this goes at least.

Steve

19 hours ago, SluSignGuy said:

Forum Upgrade

Today I upgraded the forum, and I wanted to highlight two aspects of the upgrade.

First, our great private message nightmare should be over (I hope) in that when you now go to a private message thread, it should take you to the most recent unread message instead of the first message.

Second, we are going to TRY (note, this may not be permanent) a new community moderating option where users can vote to hide a post to the whole community. 

To vote, you need to go to “Report Post” link, which can be hard to see.  look in the upper right hand corner of an individual post for this link.   See the red circle below.

Tilk-1.png

Once clicked, there will be a “This Post Should Be Hidden” option. 

Tilk-2.png

If 20 different members flag a post as “This Post Should Be Hidden” and the poster of said post has a reputation below 25 (i.e. 25 “bad posts” and 0 good posts).  The post will then become hidden to all members. 

Again, I am going to see how this more community moderating goes – and the system will likely be tweaked. 

The upgrade has some other features we may play with later.  But lets see how this goes at least.

Steve

I have the targeted poster on Ignore. I have no desire to remove the tag in order to mark the post as "Should be Hidden".  But how can my vote count otherwise, as I obviously believe the posts should not be made public.  Can you make an automatic "Hidden" vote if a poster is on Ignore?

I am getting a little too much praise here.  I did not build the feature myself, but instead knew it was coming down the pipeline in the forum software we use.

With this, I do not have capability to make a post get a "Hidden" vote automatically if a poster is on ignore.

Also, in the upgrade, email capabilities of the forum seem to have stopped working (e.g. you get an email when you get a PM or register).  I will try to address this today.

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

I have the targeted poster on Ignore. I have no desire to remove the tag in order to mark the post as "Should be Hidden".  But how can my vote count otherwise, as I obviously believe the posts should not be made public.  Can you make an automatic "Hidden" vote if a poster is on Ignore?

I like the concept of the new feature, but you raise a good point. All the folks who have him on ignore won't get to vote. The 20 votes target IMO is way too many. Especially when you consider the one poster in question has already accumulated so many troll points. I think about 3 or 5 "Posts should be hidden" votes should do the trick. 

Steve, I think you should tweak this. If a poster has a reputation below 25, it should only take about 3 "post should be hidden" votes to do the trick. It takes a LOT to have a reputation below 25, so you shouldn't have so much tolerance for their nonsense.

31 minutes ago, ACE said:

I like the concept of the new feature, but you raise a good point. All the folks who have him on ignore won't get to vote. The 20 votes target IMO is way too many. 

Pure guess here, but I would not be surprised if over 20 posters have TrollPants on Ignore.  That would be sweet, with an automatic 'Hidden' Post simply due to Ignores.

2 hours ago, juniorbill76 said:

You should be able to trust those in the non-ignore group to police as needed - especially during times of the year when we're reading the board more often.

Agree, but 20 hidden votes is way too many. I have my doubts that the number will be reached. Both of his posts since this went into effect are still showing.

On 4/26/2018 at 7:59 AM, HoosierPal said:

If you have him on ignore, all you have to do is click "show post" on one of his posts and then follow the steps Steve outlined to mark it as "Should be Hidden".  I have him on ignore, but regularly click the "show post" just to mark them as troll posts.

35 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

If you have him on ignore, all you have to do is click "show post" on one of his posts and then follow the steps Steve outlined to mark it as "Should be Hidden".  I have him on ignore, but regularly click the "show post" just to mark them as troll posts.

No thanks.  I have no desire to waste one click on TrollPants to Show Post.  Right Mouse Clicks are more important in my life than TrollPants is. 

42 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

No thanks.  I have no desire to waste one click on TrollPants to Show Post.  Right Mouse Clicks are more important in my life than TrollPants is. 

To each his own.  I consider it a service to the board to make sure his posts are appropriately dealt with.

my favorite tilky way is he demands proof on a debate,   someone gives it to him and then he doesnt even recognize it and continues pretending no one was able to disprove his nonsense.   imo watching/reading him stumble around with visions of self grandeur is actually quite entertaining in an earnest t bass sort of way.   all this misplaced bravado and confidence while EVERYONE laughs at him for his continued ignorance on any subject.   

juniorbill76 likes this