Commission on College Basketball

Bills_06

9 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-I did not read anything that involves the one-year sit out period after transferring for football and basketball, so guessing that is still in place

Yeah, no changes there yet.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2018/08/08/ncaa-announces-new-rule-changes-favoring-college-basketball-players/935917002/

Quick summary of NCAA changes made today.

Every college basketball player will declare for the draft -- why not, there is no down side.

"Elite" athletes will be able to have an agent in HS.  (Likely the NCAA will look at recruiting stars, AAU stats and evaluations from TGloryTDays to determine who is elite.

Add 4-day recruiting periods in April

Coaches will be allowed to attend NBPA Top 100 Camp in June.

Coaches allowed to attend events during last two weekends of June if approved by National High School Federations.

38 minutes ago, willie said:

With the exception of allowing high school kids to enter the draft I'm not sure how any of this is a good idea. 

I agree with you.  It will be interesting to see how the coaches and staffs dance around reporting income from outside sources.

Allowing non-drafted college athletes back into their school will give coaches heartburn.  Why wouldn't Goodwin and Gordon declare for the 2019 draft and stay in until the party is over?  Ford won't know if they are coming back or not until late June 2019. So what do you do with those two scholarships?

• Division I schools will be required to pay for tuition, fees and books for men’s and women’s basketball players who left school and returned later to the same school to earn their degree. The NCAA is establishing a fund for schools who are otherwise unable to provide this aid.
Without knowing the exacts on this - is this forever? If a guy is at SLU for two years, leaves to go "pro", and then 10 years later wants to get his degree, will SLU be held to pay for all of this? How do you account for that? 

1 minute ago, JMM28 said:
  • Division I schools will be required to pay for tuition, fees and books for men’s and women’s basketball players who left school and returned later to the same school to earn their degree. The NCAA is establishing a fund for schools who are otherwise unable to provide this aid.

Without knowing the exacts on this - is this forever? If a guy is at SLU for one year, leaves, and then 10 years later wants to get his degree, will SLU be held to pay for all of this? How do you account for that? 

I like the idea of someone like Shaq going back to finish his degree after earning 9 figures in the NBA and retiring, and LSU having to pay for it.

But think about someone like Tommie Liddell, who after many years came back to get those last few credit hours (or did he finish this spring/summer?) at SLU. I don't mind SLU having to foot the bill for that. If they don't pay these guys and promise them free education and degrees, I don't think there should be a time limit on it.

6 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I like the idea of someone like Shaq going back to finish his degree after earning 9 figures in the NBA and retiring, and LSU having to pay for it.

I am sure LSU likes it too. It allows them to work Shaq up, to turn him into a potentially major donor. Imagine this "The Shaquille O'Neil Professor of Social Justice." at LSU. Just imagine what they could do with a committed donor like this. 

Degree completion assistance

Division I schools will be required to pay for tuition, fees and books for basketball players who leave school and return later to the same school to earn their degree. Former student-athletes will be eligible for financial assistance to complete their first degree if they were on scholarship and fewer than 10 years have passed since they left school. Additionally, students must have been in school for two years before leaving. Former student-athletes also must meet all the school’s admissions and financial aid requirements and must have exhausted all other funding options to be eligible, as well as meet all NCAA academic requirements.

This is quite interesting.  If this is the actual wording (taken from JJM28's link) it says nothing about dropping out to play pro ball.  So a player can drop out, get a regular job, and come back to finish his/her degree, at the cost of the university.  This student COULD NOT count against the 13 scholarship total, correct.  I assume if he or she has eligibility left, they could play ball?   This likely is intended to be for those who go pro, but this wording doesn't limit it to that.

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2018/08/08/ncaa-announces-new-rule-changes-favoring-college-basketball-players/935917002/

Quick summary of NCAA changes made today.

Every college basketball player will declare for the draft -- why not, there is no down side.

"Elite" athletes will be able to have an agent in HS.  (Likely the NCAA will look at recruiting stars, AAU stats and evaluations from TGloryTDays to determine who is elite. 

Add 4-day recruiting periods in April

Coaches will be allowed to attend NBPA Top 100 Camp in June.

Coaches allowed to attend events during last two weekends of June if approved by National High School Federations.

This is going to cause problems. You allow one kid to have an agent and then punish another kid who hires one based upon your very subjective guidelines

-it wasn't that long ago that agents were considered the problem and now the ncaa is permitting them for certain high schoolers

-read what Hoosier copied, to be eligible to get this assistance the kid had to be in school for 2 years before leaving, come back within 10 years of leaving, be in good academic standing and have used all other available resources before getting tuition assistance

-I wonder how many female athletes this would apply to, if any

More chances to visit colleges during and after high school

Basketball student-athletes can make more frequent campus visits paid for by colleges (referred to as official visits), which can begin as soon as Aug. 1 the summer before their junior year in high school. They can take:

• Five visits between Aug. 1 and the end of their junior year of high school.
  • Five visits between the end of their junior year and Oct. 15 after high school graduation.
  • Five visits between Oct. 15 after high school graduation and the remainder of their college eligibility.

A student-athlete can visit a school only once per year. Unofficial visits — those made at his or her own expense — cannot begin before Aug. 1 of the student’s sophomore year of high school.

Schools now can pay for 28 official visits for recruits (34 for national service academies) over a rolling, two-year period.

These rules are effective Aug. 15, 2018.

18 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

This is going to cause problems. You allow one kid to have an agent and then punish another kid who hires one based upon your very subjective guidelines

The even bigger problem is that they've left the "elite" determination up to USA Basketball, which does not want the responsibility - because they don't really have the resources to do so. I'm not sure they've officially said as much yet, but USAB officials have already been leaking to reporters that this makes no sense. The NBA should be making this determination, if anyone.

My guess is that the NCAA is trying to keep moneyed interests from tampering with players but it makes no sense to have a third (financially non-interested) party do this.

There is an interesting caveat on the re-entry into school for those who don't get drafted. I believe this is all about allowing HS athletes to be drafted.  Until the NBA changes that rule, this one isn't effective.  They also have to have request an evaluation.  181 players declared for the 2018 draft.  100 rescinded. 

NBA draft flexibility

College basketball players who request an Undergraduate Advisory Committee evaluation, participate in the NBA combine and aren’t drafted can return to school as long as they notify their athletics director of their intent by 5 p.m. the Monday after the draft.

This change is effective if/when the NBA and NBPA make an expected rule change, which would make undrafted student-athletes who return to college after the draft ineligible for the NBA until the end of the next college basketball season.

Something I don't think the NCAA really thought through is that this stretches the recruiting cycle past its logical endpoint. For example, let's say SLU has two underclassmen declare for the draft in early April. The coaching staff won't know what they can do with those scholarships until late June. Are we going to see football-style overcommitment with kids getting "sorry" letters every year? Are we going to see cratered rosters if guys get drafted? Or are we going to see recruits waiting to sign until summer?

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

Something I don't think the NCAA really thought through is that this stretches the recruiting cycle past its logical endpoint. For example, let's say SLU has two underclassmen declare for the draft in early April. The coaching staff won't know what they can do with those scholarships until late June. Are we going to see football-style overcommitment with kids getting "sorry" letters every year? Are we going to see cratered rosters if guys get drafted? Or are we going to see recruits waiting to sign until summer?

calipari (i think, i was watching a different channel when i saw his talking head come up on espn and when switched over my context could be distorted) was saying more or less the same thing.   guy goes to the draft, then comes back but the scholarship already committed elsewhere.  what is the ncaa going to do then?   can he go elsewhere without sitting out?

7 hours ago, Pistol said:

Did some more reading on the changes and now, at the earliest, the NBA is looking at the 2022 draft where HS athletes would be eligible.  

A lot is being made of limiting the draft prospects eligible to return to school to those who participate in the NBA combine and go unselected, meaning that this new rule will seldom be utilized. Only six players fit that criteria this past June: Rawle Alkins, Brian Bowen, Trevon Duval, Brandon McCoy, Malik Newman and Allonzo Trier. Right now, these players are considered free agents after they go undrafted. Duval (Bucks),  Alkins (Bulls) and Trier (Knicks) have signed two-way contracts, while McCoy signed a training camp contract with the Bucks. Newman recently signed with the Miami Heat. Bowen is playing pro ball in Australia

@Pistol, you are right.  USAB doesn't want to be involved with selecting the elite athletes who can hire an agent.  They said yes, they met with the NCAA commission, but never agreed to do this.  And who is going to select the High School aged foreign athletes that are "elite".  And why limit the agents to only 'elite'.  Let any and everyone go get an agent.  The market place would soon determine who is elite and who isn't.  Think an agent would spend time and money on a HS benchwarmer?

And these elite athletes can then hire agents.  BUT, read the fine print, and the agents can pay for visits - to the agent's office, but they cannot front the athlete money.  So is this really a big deal?  The agent can advise, but he can't pay the athlete.  (Here, son.  This envelope 'should cover your expenses' for visiting my Honolulu office.  If you want to recruit one of these 'elite athletes with agents' guess who you will be talking to.  The player? The coach? The agent?   Yep.

Another confusing issue is that athletes can now have 15 paid recruiting visits.  15.  Who needs 15 visits to figure out where they are going to college?   This to me opens up "Party Time" for quite a few visits.  Think Louisville's 'recruiting assistants' might be busy in the future.  And how many college coaches want to host an athlete that is simply on the grand tour.  These visits take up time, and resources.  

The entire report still does not address the white elephant in the room, the reason so many are in trouble - paying athletes.  Until this is addressed, all of these changes are window dressing. 

I was unaware of this second NCAA antitrust lawsuit going to court next month.

Few people want to risk losing even a penny of what they’ve got. So the people in charge of college sports aren’t going to truly address the biggest issue until they’re forced to. That day could be here soon. On Sept. 4 in Judge Claudia Wilken’s federal courtroom in Oakland, the NCAA and the conferences will have to defend their model again against an antitrust challenge when Jenkins v. NCAA begins. The NCAA lost in O’Bannon v. NCAA, which also was argued before Wilken but was far more limited in scope than this current case, which was brought by attorney Jeffrey Kessler, who also represented NFL players in the suit that brought free agency to that league. It doesn’t make much practical sense to address the big question until the courts do. O’Bannon forced changes that gave athletes more. If this case goes a similar direction—and it’s quite possible since the NCAA’s attorneys have only a limited bag of mostly terrible arguments from which to draw—then the rules will change again.

Dan Gavitt, NCAA VP of Basketball, supplied an answer to what happens to a player who isn't drafted and wants to return to his school, but his scholarship has been filled.

If there were instances where a player returned to school, only to discover there were no scholarships left at that school, would he be free to transfer elsewhere and have immediate eligibility?

As of now, no. The transfer rules would still be in effect. The player could transfer but would have to sit a year. So could the rule change? That's not known. It is possible that this situation could happen, though, and if so, would deter players who declared for the draft from returning. It's a virtual guarantee that any fringe NBA player would not return to college if they had to sit. 

"I think there's enough concern about transfers to begin with," Gavitt said. "What that group is trying to avoid is unintended consequences, if you make that pool too large and you provide for other things to trigger with that opportunity, such as being immediately eligible to transfer, there's a lot of unintended consequences with that."

In the past three years, 22 players who received combine invites went undrafted.

i actually like that answer.   we shouldnt be concerned with the player that was more concerned about his nba pie in the sky than college.   i believe we have too many basketball players in college and not enough student athletes.  

• 1 month later...

If you aren't following the current NCAA corruption trial, it is getting quite interesting.  Yesterday Brian Bowen's Dad fingered Creighton.  He apparently has been granted immunity for his testimony.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/college-basketball-corruption-trial-brian-bowens-father-makes-explosive-allegations-against-several-schools/

It has been one year since this all came down.  Massive changes have been made by the NCAA since then, right?????😆

Just now, HoosierPal said:

If you aren't following the current NCAA corruption trial, it is getting quite interesting.  Yesterday Brian Bowen's Dad fingered Creighton.  He apparently has been granted immunity for his testimony.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/college-basketball-corruption-trial-brian-bowens-father-makes-explosive-allegations-against-several-schools/

Nice.

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

It has been one year since this all came down.  Massive changes have been made by the NCAA since then, right?????😆

With Creighton being named it does make you wonder if it is possible to be in the big tank without becoming a shark yourself.  I wonder now if anything will  happen to KU and Self - he is as dirty as they come but somehow everything just rolls off him.