Commission on College Basketball

Bills_06

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the link 06 interesting read.

"If undrafted, a college player would remain eligible as long as he requests an evaluation from the NBA and returns to the same school."

I like this idea I want better choices for these young people and if someone tests the draft each year does not get drafted and the end result would be graduation that helps the kids.

It would be nice that you either get your degree or play for the NBA and possibly both, that is a win either way for the kids.

19 minutes ago, CBFan said:

Thanks for the link 06 interesting read.

"If undrafted, a college player would remain eligible as long as he requests an evaluation from the NBA and returns to the same school."

I like this idea I want better choices for these young people and if someone tests the draft each year does not get drafted and the end result would be graduation that helps the kids.

It would be nice that you either get your degree or play for the NBA and possibly both, that is a win either way for the kids.

interview for a better job, don't get the job.... go back to your less appealing job. welcome to the club 

QUAILMAN and rgbilliken like this

Here are two interesting sections:

"The Commission has also concluded that one aspect of the current transfer rule - the requirement that a player who transfers sit out for a year - remain in place.....Players who transfer are less likely to complete their degrees.  Third parties often influence transfer decisions for their own purposes and without thought to the impact of transfer on the student-athlete."  NOTE:  I found this interesting, that players who transfer are less likely to complete their degrees, even with the extra year.

"The Commission also discussed the graduate transfer rule....In recent years, graduating student-athletes..appear to make transfer decisions for reasons other than academics.  In 2011 there were 15 men's basketball graduate transfers; in 2016 there were 87.  Only 34% of these transfers graduate from their graduate school programs.  We heard that recruiting and tampering related to potential graduate transfers is rising."  "The NCAA Transfer Working Group is considering this issue..and considering...locking down scholarships for the period of a degree program and imposing an enhanced penalty on the team's APR if the recipient leaves before completing his graduate program."

i like the freshmen ineligible thought.    you can bet a kid that really is only in it for basketball will not sit around a year and have to study and not play.   

2 hours ago, Bills_06 said:

Looks like the recommendations are being released right now.  Getting rid of 1 and done rule is in there and banning cheating coaches for life. 

Link

Not sure how Calipari is allowed to have the best job in college basketball. Something is wrong with that.

billiken_roy likes this

2 minutes ago, ACE said:

Not sure how Calipari is allowed to have the best job in college basketball. Something is wrong with that.

when he is caught and kentucky is forced to vacate a calipari championship, he will be a 3 time ncaa loser that his employer had to forfeit entire seasons because of his cheating ways.   nice distinction. 

17 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

when he is caught and kentucky is forced to vacate a calipari championship, he will be a 3 time ncaa loser that his employer had to forfeit entire seasons because of his cheating ways.   nice distinction. 

I'm not sure Calipari cheats anymore. He now has the reputation of placing his players in the NBA that kids what to go to Kentucky. Cheater in the past certainly. Current cheater,not so sure. 

8 minutes ago, willie said:

I'm not sure Calipari cheats anymore. He now has the reputation of placing his players in the NBA that kids what to go to Kentucky. Cheater in the past certainly. Current cheater,not so sure. 

im sure they are all scholar athletes with 4.0 gpa's and pre-med majors.  Probably do a lot of community service work on weekends as well and sing in the university choirs.

dennis_w likes this

I expected better out of Condi Rice. This was a big nothing burger.

Changing the one and done rule - not your league. 

Punishing cheating coaches - already on the books.

Regulate AAU - not your league either.

More transparency from Nike, etc. - probably the most hypocritical thing I've ever seen in sports, one of the most guarded and non-transparent organization telling huge corporations to be more transparent? Laughable! This was basically a typical NCAA report. Point every finger out at some other organization when they should be pointing the thumb at themselves. 

10 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

Calipari wasn't found by the NCAA to have broken any of their rules in either of the investigations that got his former two programs in trouble.  I am fine with banning coaches for cheating, but if this rule had already been in place it wouldn't have impacted Calipari.

I think the report is a total joke.  If the NCAA were to implement these findings as suggested they would open themselves up to antitrust suits which they would lose.  The recommendations when it comes to AAU basketball would be a nightmare for the NCAA legally. The NCAA can't do anything to force the NBA to change their rules. 

This commission was made up of people that know the NCAA can't do the biggest changes they recommend.  That gives me the feeling this was more about making the commission look good to the public and less about finding ways to fix the NCAA.

13 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

im sure they are all scholar athletes with 4.0 gpa's and pre-med majors.  Probably do a lot of community service work on weekends as well and sing in the university choirs.

And this is the biggest problem with the 1 and done. 

Have a fair amount of UK alums, older, here in Charleston. To a man they are over Calipari and how he runs UK hoops. Their common refrain is it's only worked for one season and there was some SR leadership on that team. His days may be numbered at UK.

1 hour ago, JMM28 said:

I expected better out of Condi Rice. This was a big nothing burger.

Changing the one and done rule - not your league. 

Punishing cheating coaches - already on the books.

Regulate AAU - not your league either.

More transparency from Nike, etc. - probably the most hypocritical thing I've ever seen in sports, one of the most guarded and non-transparent organization telling huge corporations to be more transparent? Laughable! This was basically a typical NCAA report. Point every finger out at some other organization when they should be pointing the thumb at themselves. 

Did you read the report?  All of your points were discussed and answered.

One and done - report says the NBA and NBPA has to do lead this change and to improve the G League. "The NCAA lacks the legal power to change the one and done."

Punishing coaches - they are raising the bar.  The report also states that the NCAA enforcement functions were designed for a simplier time when rule violations did not put so much as stake."  The report calls for a new and improved investigative and adjudication of complex cases.  They are also calling for University Presidents to be held accountable in these cases, as well as the coach.

Regulate AAU - they call for the NCAA to establish youth basketball programs and tourneys to somewhat compete with AAU circuit.  They call for the NCAA to implement strict rules for AAU events, where they AAU event needs to be certified, or NCAA coaches cannot attend. They also call for the AAU to have an educational element in their events in order to be certified.   

There is a lot of finger pointing at the NCAA in the report.  I think the statement, “college basketball is a toxic mix of perverse incentives to cheat,” isn't very flattering to the NCAA.   Take time to read it.

4 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Did you read the report?  All of your points were discussed and answered.

One and done - report says the NBA and NBPA has to do lead this change and to improve the G League. "The NCAA lacks the legal power to change the one and done."

Punishing coaches - they are raising the bar.  The report also states that the NCAA enforcement functions were designed for a simplier time when rule violations did not put so much as stake."  The report calls for a new and improved investigative and adjudication of complex cases.  They are also calling for University Presidents to be held accountable in these cases, as well as the coach.

Regulate AAU - they call for the NCAA to establish youth basketball programs and tourneys to somewhat compete with AAU circuit.  They call for the NCAA to implement strict rules for AAU events, where they AAU event needs to be certified, or NCAA coaches cannot attend. They also call for the AAU to have an educational element in their events in order to be certified.   

There is a lot of finger pointing at the NCAA in the report.  I think the statement, “college basketball is a toxic mix of perverse incentives to cheat,” isn't very flattering to the NCAA.   Take time to read it.

I did read the report. The report was poorly done and a disappointment to many. I

t pointed to these outside influences in a total cover your ass type way. "Well we tried working with the NBA but they didnt want to play ball"  "Well we tried working with the grassroots organizations, but there were too many of them" 

They aren't raising the bar on punishing coaches. The current show-cause penalties are pretty much exactly what the "lifetime ban" is without the exotic name. They suggest some ridiculous once a year certification by the president. Whoopity. 

The college basketball toxic mix part isn't flattering to the member schools in the NCAA. It says nothing about the archaic rules of the NCAA - they pretty much ignore the idea of payments to players, saying its tied up in the courts/legal issues. 

18 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

I did read the report. The report was poorly done and a disappointment to many. I

t pointed to these outside influences in a total cover your ass type way. "Well we tried working with the NBA but they didnt want to play ball"  "Well we tried working with the grassroots organizations, but there were too many of them" 

They aren't raising the bar on punishing coaches. The current show-cause penalties are pretty much exactly what the "lifetime ban" is without the exotic name. They suggest some ridiculous once a year certification by the president. Whoopity. 

The college basketball toxic mix part isn't flattering to the member schools in the NCAA. It says nothing about the archaic rules of the NCAA - they pretty much ignore the idea of payments to players, saying its tied up in the courts/legal issues. 

Wow, you jump to conclusions that are convenient for your position.

Okay, then what are your recommendations? I see merit in many of the Commissions recommendations.  How do you improve what they recommended? I think you will see the end of the one and done.  The NCAA/NBA/NBPA have discussed this and it may be a done deal by fall.

They spend about 4 pages discussing paying players.  You may not like their conclusion, but they didn't "pretty much ignore it".  They aren't for paying players , but state it is in the hands of the courts right now, as you wrote.

I also apologize for stating you didn't read the entire 60 page report. Your first remarks certainly weren't clear on that fact.

There is stuff in the report I don't agree with.  But I commend the Commission for putting in the time and putting forth some radical and significant recommendations. 

Again, what do you recommend?

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

Calipari wasn't found by the NCAA to have broken any of their rules in either of the investigations that got his former two programs in trouble.  I am fine with banning coaches for cheating, but if this rule had already been in place it wouldn't have impacted Calipari.

I think the report is a total joke.  If the NCAA were to implement these findings as suggested they would open themselves up to antitrust suits which they would lose.  The recommendations when it comes to AAU basketball would be a nightmare for the NCAA legally. The NCAA can't do anything to force the NBA to change their rules. 

This commission was made up of people that know the NCAA can't do the biggest changes they recommend.  That gives me the feeling this was more about making the commission look good to the public and less about finding ways to fix the NCAA.

both at umass and memphis the wrongs happened with calipari teams.   of course he diverts direct attention from himself, but ultimately he is/was in charge.  happens once, ok.   maybe a wild booster or a renegade assistant coach.   happens twice.  sorry, all on him.  hes scum

2 hours ago, brianstl said:

One more example of what is wrong with the NCAA. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/26/sports/ncaabasketball/coach-caliparis-wonderful-life-begin-the-disclaimers.html

brianstl likes this

1 hour ago, JMM28 said:

If your way to fix the problems with the NCAA is to allow players to get paid, then I have to disagree.  At its core, the problem with the system is the players are supposed to get paid to play professionally and are not supposed to get paid to play in college.  If a college player wants to get paid, then leave.  Go play in the NBA or in another country if you are good enough.  College is for getting an education (by any definition you can look up).

Because kids are forced to go to college to have a chance at later getting to the point of getting paid by a professional sports team, we have our current mess.  That is it.  100%.  It isn't hard to make rules that essentially say that college is for people that want to be there and who are willing to work on the purpose of being in college (education) and the pros are for people who want to get paid.  Get the rules in line with that basic concept and all the problems are fixed.

27 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

both at umass and memphis the wrongs happened with calipari teams.   of course he diverts direct attention from himself, but ultimately he is/was in charge.  happens once, ok.   maybe a wild booster or a renegade assistant coach.   happens twice.  sorry, all on him.  hes scum

I wasn't trying to defend Calipari.  I was just pointing out that this would do nothing to a coach like him.

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

Have a fair amount of UK alums, older, here in Charleston. To a man they are over Calipari and how he runs UK hoops. Their common refrain is it's only worked for one season and there was some SR leadership on that team. His days may be numbered at UK.

Totally understand this.

Part of the fun of college sports is watching guys grow and mature over 4 years. You feel like you get to know then and that adds to the emotional investment I put into the team.

One of the best things about college basketball is going to a senior night to give an awesome send off to 3 or 4 guys that you watched work their tails off 4 for years...thats college basketball.