2018-19 Schedule

ACE

8 minutes ago, brianstl said:

If we are going to play in a traditional bracketed tournament it looks like it will Cancun or Myrtle Beach.

St joes is already in the myrtle beach field

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, wgstl said:

St joes is already in the myrtle beach field

You're right.  So, it is Cancun or bust.  If we can get a spot in one of those one day events against a decent name, that wouldn't be that bad.  The downside is it comes with three home games against buy game level teams.  Cancun would definitely be better if if we ended up playing SMU and PSU.  Wright St should actually be pretty good to.  They madw the the dance last season.  They return 5 of the top 7 guys who played the last half of the season for them, including that monster sized center.

2 hours ago, brianstl said:

It won't be HOF Belfast if we are playing Butler on the December 1.  That is the last date of the HOF Belfast.  Hoophall, Orange Bowl, Holiday Festival Colangelo Classic are one day events.

If we are going to play in a traditional bracketed tournament it looks like it will Cancun or Myrtle Beach.

A good rundown of where stuff stands on open spots, https://www.bloggingthebracket.com/2018/5/8/17328452/college-basketball-holiday-tournaments-thanksgiving-exempt-multi-team-event-mte-vacancies-2018.

What hacks me off about this post and its source is that it considers the AAC as a Power 7 Conference.  I think an A 10 vs. AAC challenge would   be won by the A 10 as often as not.Especially if you eliminated the 2-4 bottom feeders from each conference.

11 hours ago, TheOne said:

Slu has secured both a new Big East and a new ACC opponent for this upcoming season. One to be on a neutral site and one to be a home-and-home.

-while hoping it is not DePaul AND Pitt, this should be good, it seems from listening to coaches present and past you can flip a coin as to what is more difficult for us, recruiting or scheduling

1 hour ago, Cowboy said:

-while hoping it is not DePaul AND Pitt, this should be good, it seems from listening to coaches present and past you can flip a coin as to what is more difficult for us, recruiting or scheduling

It may not be worth guessing, but how plausible could Louisville be? They're close, we've played them twice in recent years, and used to play them all the time when in same conference.

6 minutes ago, Billikid said:

It may not be worth guessing, but how plausible could Louisville be? They're close, we've played them twice in recent years, and used to play them all the time when in same conference.

If I could pick two, it'd be Louisville and Xavier.

HenryB and almaman like this

12 minutes ago, slubillikens43 said:

I might be wrong but isn't there a website where you can see what dates schools are trying to fill games for? I thought someone posted a link for it a couple years ago.

The forum is now private and you can't register without a .edu email address.

2 hours ago, Pistol said:

If I could pick two, it'd be Louisville and Xavier.

I hope the home and home is Xavier.

I really miss playing X and the Cardinals.

Looked into it a little. Probably took a deeper dive than necessary just with speculation but...

UL - Apparently most of the non-con schedule was already set before Padgett was even really in charge at UL, and he said they were working on rounding out the schedule with "5 guarantee games" back in Feb. Mack might not have gotten to schedule much for them. This is what they have according to Louisville newspaper, if you're interested on trying to find where we could fit in. Most of Nov could be open or that first week of Dec. @ UL before finals?

Nov. 21 and 23: NIT Season Tip-Off (games vs. two of Kansas, Marquette, Tennessee) 
Dec. 1 or 2: at Seton Hall
Dec. 8: at Indiana
Home games with no date set: Kentucky; two NIT Season Tip-Off home games (opponents TBD)
Other games with no date set: ACC-Big Ten Challenge (opponent TBD)

Xavier - Hard to find much on Xavier but I guess they may be in the Gavitt Tip Off Games which is B1G vs. B.East and their Crosstown Shootout with Cincy. It also may be of note that they ended up in a tournament last year with GW, in a 15-16 tournament with Dayton, and did a HH with Mizzou 14-15 & 15-16. May just show willingness to come out here and/or play A10 but they do have a new coach.

With Butler already on the schedule, that means for starters we will have 2 Beast teams, 1 ACC, 1 Pac 12, and 1 AAC (Houston).  Regarding Louisville, I am sure they will be somewhat less than they were a few years ago, but I don't know enough about what they having coming back and coming in.  If they are anywhere close to the Louisville of a couple of years ago, i would prefer holding off a couple of years until our young team matures.  Same with Xavier, I'm not sure we are ready for a home and home with them AT THIS TIME.  Hopefully the year after next (2019-20) would be good.  I would just like our young team to walk before they run.

I would like to see DePaul or Marquette as our Beast team and one or two more AAC teams.  Who ever we get from the ACC will be a challenge.  How about BC?

I mean, we're all just throwing darts here. I was just putting out the two I hoped it'd be because Xavier is 10 minutes from me and Louisville is an hour and a half away. One of them will be a neutral game, but hopefully somewhere relatively close by.

I could see it being DePaul. New facility, a lot of history between our programs. Marquette, too. Creighton makes sense, Notre Dame or any number of possibilities from the ACC.

Regardless of opponents, this is a good thing for us. We're going to need some solid non-conference wins.

5 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I mean, we're all just throwing darts here. I was just putting out the two I hoped it'd be because Xavier is 10 minutes from me and Louisville is an hour and a half away. One of them will be a neutral game, but hopefully somewhere relatively close by.

I could see it being DePaul. New facility, a lot of history between our programs. Marquette, too. Creighton makes sense, Notre Dame or any number of possibilities from the ACC.

Regardless of opponents, this is a good thing for us. We're going to need some solid non-conference wins.

Yeah the neutral game is interesting. If its with a BE team the only ones that make sense to me would be a Marquette game in Chicago or Creighton in KC?

Edit: unless its part of a tournament/showcase of course

34 minutes ago, bauman said:

.  If they are anywhere close to the Louisville of a couple of years ago, i would prefer holding off a couple of years until our young team matures.  Same with Xavier, I'm not sure we are ready for a home and home with them AT THIS TIME.  Hopefully the year after next (2019-20) would be good.  I would just like our young team to walk before they run.

If you ask me, I think this is a perfect time to play the big dogs.  French and Goodwin, although sophomores, are experienced.  Santos is a junior, Foreman and Bess are seniors.   Sprinkle in a highly rated recruit who has played against numerous 4 and 5* recruits.  All those players should be ready.  Then you have a newbies who could learn from these games.

Im fine with not playing the top tier teams, but I want nothing to do with the bottom tier teams. 

Billiken Rich likes this

52 minutes ago, bauman said:

With Butler already on the schedule, that means for starters we will have 2 Beast teams, 1 ACC, 1 Pac 12, and 1 AAC (Houston).  Regarding Louisville, I am sure they will be somewhat less than they were a few years ago, but I don't know enough about what they having coming back and coming in.  If they are anywhere close to the Louisville of a couple of years ago, i would prefer holding off a couple of years until our young team matures.  Same with Xavier, I'm not sure we are ready for a home and home with them AT THIS TIME.  Hopefully the year after next (2019-20) would be good.  I would just like our young team to walk before they run.

I would like to see DePaul or Marquette as our Beast team and one or two more AAC teams.  Who ever we get from the ACC will be a challenge.  How about BC?

I disagree. Good time to play both Louisville and Xavier. Both a bit in flux. Xavier in particular will have almost an entirely new team of grad transfers. Who knows how they will mesh, plus they have a new coach.

Billiken Rich likes this

23 minutes ago, ACE said:

I disagree. Good time to play both Louisville and Xavier. Both a bit in flux. Xavier in particular will have almost an entirely new team of grad transfers. Who knows how they will mesh, plus they have a new coach.

Given your info on X , I would agree, now might be a good year to play them.  I stand corrected.

7 minutes ago, johnbj14 said:

Give me Marquette or DePaul as a short drive from home. 

Butler is closest, about 4 hours arena to arena, and we've already got them on the schedule.

DePaul is next, 4.5 hours. Chicago traffic is a factor, though.

But I think Xavier is closer than Marquette by a little bit, even without bad Chicago traffic heading up to Milwaukee. 5.5 hours easily, including a stop.

Creighton's about 6 to 6.5 from St. Louis, not too bad.