2018-19 Schedule

ACE

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, wgstl said:

@Pistol is north Alabama an exhibition game?  they're not D1, how does that work?  Can we play them and rockhurst in one season?

SLU could play as many D2 teams as they want. It just doesn't count towards the RPI. Playing North Alabama is probably a better game than playing a 300+ rpi team like Alabama A&M. 

1 minute ago, JMM28 said:

SLU could play as many D2 teams as they want. It just doesn't count towards the RPI. Playing North Alabama is probably a better game than playing a 300+ rpi team like Alabama A&M. 

Stu also just said north alabama will be D1 this season

7 minutes ago, wgstl said:

@Pistol is north Alabama an exhibition game?  they're not D1, how does that work?  Can we play them and rockhurst in one season?

6 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

4 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Stu also just said north alabama will be D1 this season

I tweeted to Stu to clarify, so it appears they will be a new D-I team this season. So this will count like any other D-I game and won't be like Rockhurst. It will count toward both our record and RPI/other metrics. It'll be interesting to see how they schedule. EDIT: They'll be A-Sun, not Independent.

A little research on these opponents:

Troy - 2017-2018 Record: 16-17 (9-9 Sun Belt), RPI: 194

Troy loses its top scorer (Wesley Person, 18.0 PPG) and 5th scorer (Kevin Baker went to Madison Prep in STL) but returns its 2nd and 3rd guys. They're a pretty middle-of-the-road team on most major stats. They attempt a ton of 3-pointers (41st in the country), but only make them at a .337 clip (241st). This might change because Person and Baker collectively attempted 12.8 3-pointers a game, about half of what the team attempted. They have a couple juco players coming in, a SG and PF, without much info about them. They'll have three freshmen, two guards and a big. Looks like they'll be a mid-tier Sun Belt team again this season; not an RPI destroyer by any means, but a team we should handle without too much trouble.

Central Arkansas - 2017-2018 Record: 18-17 (10-8 Southland), RPI: 223

Another mid-tier team in a similar conference, UCA loses one of the top scorers in the country, Jordan Howard, 25.1 PPG. They also lose their #2 guy, Mathiew Kamba, who averaged 13.8 and 6.1. So I would expect a drop from UCA this season as it looks to replace so much production out of two guys. They play an uptempo game, scoring 80.5 PPG and allowing 79. They turn it over a ton, get to the line a lot, and block a lot of shots (Hayden Koval - 3.1 BPG - returns). It's hard to know much about incoming players at this level, but they've got three forwards and a guard coming in, all freshmen. I don't know how the style will change with their studs leaving, but teams that play fast tend to continue to do so. I don't think they'll be a problem, and would expect them more in the ~250 RPI range this season.

North Alabama - 2017-2018 Record: 15-13 (D-II)

UNA makes the jump to D-I and the Atlantic Sun Conference this season with a new head coach and near-total roster overhaul, save for their two top players, who will be seniors. They're bringing in 10 new guys: 3 juco juniors and 7 freshmen. They were pretty average even for a D-II team last year but did beat D-I South Alabama in an exhibition game. Not that it matters, because that was essentially a different program than what SLU will see. New coach Tony Pujol is a long-time assistant who has spent time at VCU, Alabama, Wyoming, and Appalachian State. Pujol was the guy who got Anthony Mack (former SLU offeree, since transferred to Miami) to Wyoming. They return Kendall Stafford, who averaged 15.6 and 8.5, and Kendarius Smith, who averaged, 14.4, 3.4, and 3.4. SLU should have no trouble here. Let's just hope they have a tough introductory schedule so the RPI isn't too bad.

Updated:

Non-conference:

11/6 or 11/7: SEMO

11/17: @ Seton Hall

11/21: vs. Pitt at Barclays Center (Brooklyn, NY)

12/2: vs. Butler

12/16: @ Houston

12/22: vs. Florida State at BB&T Center (Sunrise, FL)

Home: Oregon State, Central Arkansas, Troy, North Alabama, 2 exhibitions, ~1 buy game

Away: SIUC

A10:

Home: Davidson, George Mason, Massachusetts, Richmond, Dayton, Duquesne, La Salle, Rhode Island, Saint Joseph’s

Away: Fordham, George Washington, St. Bonaventure, VCU, Dayton, Duquesne, La Salle, Rhode Island, Saint Joseph’s

-SEMO is the season opener. We're still looking for a buy game on 12/29 or 12/30; this appears to be the last date to fill. The first A10 game will be 1/5 at home.

slufan13 likes this

2 hours ago, Pistol said:

Updated:

Non-conference:

11/6 or 11/7: SEMO

12/2: vs. Butler

Home: Oregon State, Central Arkansas, Troy, North Alabama, 2 exhibitions, ~1 buy game

A10:

Home: Davidson, George Mason, Massachusetts, Richmond, Dayton, Duquesne, La Salle, Rhode Island, Saint Joseph’s

Away: Fordham, George Washington, St. Bonaventure, VCU, Dayton, Duquesne, La Salle, Rhode Island, Saint Joseph’s

-SEMO is the season opener. We're still looking for a buy game on 12/29 or 12/30; this appears to be the last date to fill. The first A10 game will be 1/5 at home.

Pistol, I hate to correct you but, IF the rule cited by Quality is still in effect, then because the Barclay's Classic is a qualifying tournament,  we can have 31 total games (plus up to 2 exhibitions)  We have 14 Neutral and Away games (9 Conference, Pitt, SH, Hous, FLA St and SIU) so that means we can have 17 Home games.  As of what we know now, for home games we have 9 A-10 games, Butler, OSU, SEMO and the 3 home Barclay's Classic games or a total of 15.  That means we can schedule 2 more (buy?) games bringing us up to the 17 game limit.  Add in two exhibition game and we are at 19 home gates, the same as last year.  I hope at least one of those two remaining games is against a reasonably good school, with some drawing power, e.g. Bradley.

Am I missing something?

Edited by bauman

36 minutes ago, bauman said:

Pistol, I hate to correct you but, IF the rule cited by Quality is still in effect, then because the Barclay's Classic is a qualifying tournament,  we can have 31 total games (plus up to 2 exhibitions)  We have 14 Neutral and Away games (9 Conference, Pitt, SH, Hous, FLA St and SIU) so that means we can have 17 Home games.  As of what we know now, for home games we have 9 A-10 games, Butler, OSU, SEMO and the 3 home Barclay's Classic games or a total of 15.  That means we can schedule 2 more (buy?) games bringing us up to the 17 game limit.  Add in two exhibition game and we are at 19 home gates, the same as last year.  I hope at least one of those two remaining games is against a reasonably good school, with some drawing power, e.g. Bradley.

Am I missing something?

By my count, there are two games unaccounted for.  But for all we know, they might be willing to play yet another road game -- possibly the start of a reciprocal home series.

52 minutes ago, bauman said:

Am I missing something?

14 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

By my count, there are two games unaccounted for.  But for all we know, they might be willing to play yet another road game -- possibly the start of a reciprocal home series.

That's why I put it as "~1" instead of a firm 1 because we still might be able to get two more (if they want 2 more). I guess I could put "1-2" or "~2" instead. We know we're looking for 1 more home game for a specific date range; we're not sure if they want more than that, though.

QIJ1 also makes a good point, that we might have another road game TBA.

I'm basically just trying to account for what we know.

Updated yet again:

Non-conference:

11/6: SEMO

12/1: vs. Butler

Home: Oregon State, Central Arkansas, Troy, North Alabama, 2 exhibitions, 2 buy games

A10:

-SEMO is the season opener. We're still looking for a buy game on 12/29 or 12/30, and another one for 12/19. The first A10 game will be 1/5 at home.

According to this article, 11/6 is the first possible date college basketball games can start. This means that SLU can start practice on the earliest possible practice date, 9/25 (42 days before the start of competition).

On 6/26/2018 at 3:32 PM, bauman said:

I haven't driven by that corner in quite a while.  What is happening with the building?  I know the guy that bought it is NOT in the food service business, but in the patient transport and used car businesses and probably never had any intention to open it as a pub.

Nothing, looked all boarded up when I drove past it recently mid June

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/29/2018 at 2:34 PM, Pistol said:

Updated yet again:

Non-conference:

11/6: SEMO

12/1: vs. Butler

Home: Oregon State, Central Arkansas, Troy, North Alabama, 2 exhibitions, 2 buy games

A10:

-SEMO is the season opener. We're still looking for a buy game on 12/29 or 12/30, and another one for 12/19. The first A10 game will be 1/5 at home.

Reading as much info as I can find on the A-10, it seems like our major challenges for the title are likely Davidson, GMU and SJU.  Nice that we have 3 of our 4 games against them at home.

This schedule is legit.  Smart neutral site games vs good opponents and good home games.  The NJ/NY games make for a nice trip around Thanksgiving.  Need another tune up game prior to Seton Hall.  This team has talent but we need to get and the coaching staff will have to work out the rotation.

2 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

This schedule is legit.  Smart neutral site games vs good opponents and good home games.  The NJ/NY games make for a nice trip around Thanksgiving.  Need another tune up game prior to Seton Hall.  This team has talent but we need to get and the coaching staff will have to work out the rotation.

I would guess that we will have 2 or maybe even all 3 of the home tournament games giving us 3 or 4 home games before SH on 11/17.  SEMO 11/6; Troy 11/9 or 10; C Ark 11/13 or 11/14 for example, with the 3rd Barclays game stuffed in that period or between PITT and Butler.  OSU could fit in between Butler and Houston with the 2 remaining unknown buy games on 12/19 and at the end of the year as requested in our asking for games communication.

I like the above as it is giving the team plenty of competition before the FLA ST and A-10 games.

Scheduling board info - 

St. Louis Chris Tifft     Saint Louis is offering a guarantee for a game on December 30th. Please call or email with interest. 2018-2019, Guarantee - Offered

2018-07-12 18:43:07

Also still looking for December 19th.