2018-19 Schedule

ACE

2 hours ago, cheeseman said:

Yes I am a season tix holder and without that group the program would be in a difficult financial situation.  Actually this is not the question to ask.  The question to ask is do you want to give your season tix holders - the backbone of the program from a financial support stand point a full home schedule or not - if the answer is not then just come out and say all we care about is the money we get from you and not if we give you any purchased value.  Now, just like the NFL tix holders wonder why they have to play for 2 preseason games many season tix holders would also ask why are you charging me the same price for an exhibition game as D1 game?  I understand the point you are trying to make I just am not sure it is as simple as you want to make it.

-I'll answer your question, and of course speaking only for myself,  for me it is simple, I want what is best for the program, if it comes to Selection Sunday and we are on the bubble and we chose to play a buy game versus going to one of those other schools to play I would take my chances with that additional road game, I typically don't look at my tickets on a cost per game basis, I write the check, go to the games, have fun and hope to leave in the glow of the blue light after watching a Billiken victory, if I do that one less time but get to hear Saint Louis called by Greg Gumble I would take that every single time, so I would still purchase my ticket, not give it a second thought and be a happy camper even if the try failed because at least we tried

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I am a season tix holder and without that group the program would be in a difficult financial situation.  Actually this is not the question to ask.  The question to ask is do you want to give your season tix holders - the backbone of the program from a financial support stand point a full home schedule or not - if the answer is not then just come out and say all we care about is the money we get from you and not if we give you any purchased value.  Now, just like the NFL tix holders wonder why they have to play for 2 preseason games many season tix holders would also ask why are you charging me the same price for an exhibition game as D1 game?  I understand the point you are trying to make I just am not sure it is as simple as you want to make it.

As far as I am concerned, I much prefer when they win the games, but even when the team is under strength and has trouble scoring, I will be there in all the home games we can attend. There is not a thought in my mind about renewing the season tickets. They are renewed each year, period.   

rgbilliken likes this

1 hour ago, kshoe said:

Actually, I think most teams want the best possible buy game opponents you can get. Nobody wants to play someone 250 or higher in the rpi. You’d much rather play a buy game opponent 75-100

The flaw in your argument is that I believe most top programs know enough about SLU's 2018-19 team to know that we will be much better than in the 75-100 range.

As I said I understand the thinking that is being discussed but I believe the matter is not so simple.  The time we played the buy game with Duke, RM did not want to do it.  He knew it was going to be a loss which he did not like plus the money was going to the overall athletic budget which did not make him happy.  There is no assurances that the money from a buy game like FL or NC would not be filtered elsewhere as was done before.  Next, the loss of the parking and concession money from a home game has to be addressed - that money goes to paying off the bonds on the arena - Biondi set it up that way.  Nobody has said that everyone will not renew their season tix if the home schedule will decrease by one game - what I am saying is that all sellers have to ensure that their customers are getting value for their money - how do you do that when you are charging the same for less product - that is the question.  Playing a higher rated team on the road does not necessarily answers that question.  Can argument be made for doing this - sure but its effectiveness is based on the person's perspective.

As I said I understand the thinking that is being discussed but I believe the matter is not so simple.  The time we played the buy game with Duke, RM did not want to do it.  He knew it was going to be a loss which he did not like plus the money was going to the overall athletic budget which did not make him happy.  There is no assurances that the money from a buy game like FL or NC would not be filtered elsewhere as was done before.  Next, the loss of the parking and concession money from a home game has to be addressed - that money goes to paying off the bonds on the arena - Biondi set it up that way.  Nobody has said that everyone will not renew their season tix if the home schedule will decrease by one game - what I am saying is that all sellers have to ensure that their customers are getting value for their money - how do you do that when you are charging the same for less product - that is the question.  Playing a higher rated team on the road does not necessarily answers that question.  Can argument be made for doing this - sure but its effectiveness is based on the person's perspective.

-my recollection on the Duke game is that it was scheduled before S1 and at the time Rick thought we would be a good team and it would be a good test, I don't remember hearing him say anything about where the funds would be used

-I think the money from an NCAA visit would offset the parking and concessions from one game, not saying it is a guarantee but in the schedule making for this season I see how doing this makes sense, you don't, that is fine the sun will still rise in the morning

14 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-my recollection on the Duke game is that it was scheduled before S1 and at the time Rick thought we would be a good team and it would be a good test, I don't remember hearing him say anything about where the funds would be used

-I think the money from an NCAA visit would offset the parking and concessions from one game, not saying it is a guarantee but in the schedule making for this season I see how doing this makes sense, you don't, that is fine the sun will still rise in the morning

This is correct.

10 hours ago, bauman said:

The flaw in your argument is that I believe most top programs know enough about SLU's 2018-19 team to know that we will be much better than in the 75-100 range.

I think most teams would be fine playing a 25-75 ranked team as a buy game. It would be beyond fantastic if we found a way to bring a 25-75 ranked team to the Chaifetz as a buy game. It's not going to happen because we don't have the cache to do something like that, but we'd jump at the chance if we could.

For Cheeseman: If given the choice between a home game against Rockhurst or an away game at a top 15 team, likely on national tv, I think most season ticket holders would take the away game.

2 minutes ago, kshoe said:

I think most teams would be fine playing a 25-75 ranked team as a buy game. It would be beyond fantastic if we found a way to bring a 25-75 ranked team to the Chaifetz as a buy game. It's not going to happen because we don't have the cache to do something like that, but we'd jump at the chance if we could.

For Cheeseman: If given the choice between a home game against Rockhurst or an away game at a top 15 team, likely on national tv, I think most season ticket holders would take the away game.

I would take the away game over a home game against a team ranked anywhere worse than the 75-100 range.

Schedule pairings announced: http://www.atlantic10.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=31600&ATCLID=211718363

Saint Louis

Home: Davidson, George Mason, Massachusetts, Richmond  Dayton, Duquesne, La Salle, Rhode Island, Saint Joseph’s

Away: Fordham, George Washington, St. Bonaventure, VCU, Dayton, Duquesne, La Salle, Rhode Island, Saint Joseph’s

23 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Schedule pairings announced: http://www.atlantic10.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=31600&ATCLID=211718363

Saint Louis

Home: Davidson, George Mason, Massachusetts, Richmond  Dayton, Duquesne, La Salle, Rhode Island, Saint Joseph’s

Away: Fordham, George Washington, St. Bonaventure, VCU, Dayton, Duquesne, La Salle, Rhode Island, Saint Joseph’s

That's not bad. Joeys will probably be one the tougher teams in the league next year and we always seem to play them well. 

Ford has done an amazing recruiting job in a short period of time with a situation 2 cloud hanging over the program.  Better than any coach we've ever had.  While I think we will be defeated this year by somebody, unlike Littlebill, I am more impressed with Ford than I thought possible initially. To go from six and a walk-on to the current squad in one year is unbelievable..... 

4 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

Ford has done an amazing recruiting job in a short period of time with a situation 2 cloud hanging over the program.  Better than any coach we've ever had.  While I think we will be defeated this year by somebody, unlike Littlebill, I am more impressed with Ford than I thought possible initially. To go from six and a walk-on to the current squad in one year is unbelievable..... 

Agree. I can't wait to see if what we have on paper translates to the court. My expectations are high.

22 hours ago, SluSignGuy said:

If someone compiles a list of known opponents (and dates where we know this), I will put it on the front page of Billikens.com

All right, what do we have so far?

Non-conference:

11/17: @Seton Hall

11/21: vs. Pitt at Barclays Center

12/1: vs. Butler

Home: Oregon State

Away: Houston, SIUC

A10:

Home: Davidson, George Mason, Massachusetts, Richmond, Dayton, Duquesne, La Salle, Rhode Island, Saint Joseph’s

EDIT: Butler date was incorrect.

Billikid likes this

4 minutes ago, Pistol said:

All right, what do we have so far?

Non-conference:

11/17: @Seton Hall

11/21: vs. Pitt at Barclays Center

12/2: vs. Butler

Home: Oregon State

Away: Houston, SIUC

A10:

Home: Davidson, George Mason, Massachusetts, Richmond, Dayton, Duquesne, La Salle, Rhode Island, Saint Joseph’s

Rothstein earlier said the NY Festival was at the Garden.  Don't know.  Maybe it has changed.

https://frshoopz.com/cbb/rothstein-st-johns-to-play-princeton-in-2018-holiday-festival/

4 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Rothstein earlier said the NY Festival was at the Garden.  Don't know.  Maybe it has changed.

https://frshoopz.com/cbb/rothstein-st-johns-to-play-princeton-in-2018-holiday-festival/

The Pitt game isn't part of that event. It's part of the deal the ACC made to get their conference tournament in NYC.

HoosierPal likes this