2018-19 Schedule

ACE

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Metro PCS Orange Bowl Basketball Classic on Dec 22 is the only Showcase Event (non-tourney) not listing invited teams.  This would fit the 'neutral site' criteria of the rumored ACC opponent game.  My two cents, IF SLU is in this event, the ACC opponent would have to be a southern ACC team (Miami, Florida State, Georgia Tech)   A northern ACC team (Pitt, BC) plus SLU wouldn't draw well.

http://game.orangebowl.org/events/metropcs-orange-bowl-basketball-classic/

The NY Holiday Festival on Dec 9 in the Garden still has two teams to be announced.

Here is the list of everything else.

https://www.bloggingthebracket.com/2017/11/27/16671208/2018-19-college-basketball-early-season-tournaments-events-mte-neutral-site-showcases-thanksgiving

Pitt is not in a bracketed tourney, round robin event, nor a Showcase Event, but is in the ACC/Big Ten challenge

A few schedule related items;

URI has released their OOC schedule, including filling a slot open because Nevada backed out of a home-and-home return game.  Ole Miss also released its OOC schedule.  Gosh how can they do this since it's only early June?  URI's schedule appears to have some real weak spots on it, clearly buy games.

Rothstein reports that a few of our 18-19 opponents look pretty strong.  He feels Houston, who we play away, looks to be as good as last year and seems high on George Mason who adds a solid GT to a lineup that returns intact.  GM, along with SJU, appear on paper to be our toughest competition in the A-10.  Houston might be our toughest OOC game this year.

As I think was mentioned in another thread, Rothstein feels that we might have the best talent in the A-10 and I value his opinion based on his knowledge of East Coast basketball.

9 hours ago, bauman said:

A few schedule related items;

URI has released their OOC schedule, including filling a slot open because Nevada backed out of a home-and-home return game.  Ole Miss also released its OOC schedule.  Gosh how can they do this since it's only early June?  URI's schedule appears to have some real weak spots on it, clearly buy games.

Rothstein reports that a few of our 18-19 opponents look pretty strong.  He feels Houston, who we play away, looks to be as good as last year and seems high on George Mason who adds a solid GT to a lineup that returns intact.  GM, along with SJU, appear on paper to be our toughest competition in the A-10.  Houston might be our toughest OOC game this year.

As I think was mentioned in another thread, Rothstein feels that we might have the best talent in the A-10 and I value his opinion based on his knowledge of East Coast basketball.

And Davidson will be a tough opponent

1 hour ago, TheOne said:

No

I can wait until it is announced, but my #1 guess is Pitt, followed by Georgia Tech.  As stated above, Pitt is not in a Tourney nor Showcase Event nor a Round Robin event.  And I'm also guessing it is in the NY Holiday Festival.  The Miami event would be nice, but Pitt v SLU wouldn't draw that far away from either school.

Just guessing.  I've been wrong many times before.

On 6/10/2018 at 4:05 PM, HoosierPal said:

I can wait until it is announced, but my #1 guess is Pitt, followed by Georgia Tech.  As stated above, Pitt is not in a Tourney nor Showcase Event nor a Round Robin event.  And I'm also guessing it is in the NY Holiday Festival.  The Miami event would be nice, but Pitt v SLU wouldn't draw that far away from either school.

Just guessing.  I've been wrong many times before.

As TGlory TDays would say, nailed it!

Pitt is about as disappointing an ACC team as possible, but I was originally expecting DePaul in the Big East so Seton Hall balances that.

I'd think the 2 games we are looking to add are home buy games, but given the lack of sizzle in most of the schedule and the opening, I wouldn't mind being a buy game for a top 10 team in one of the games and hoping we pull off a miracle at their place. Don't know if any of those teams are still looking for games, just a thought.

28 minutes ago, kshoe said:

Pitt is about as disappointing an ACC team as possible, but I was originally expecting DePaul in the Big East so Seton Hall balances that.

I'd think the 2 games we are looking to add are home buy games, but given the lack of sizzle in most of the schedule and the opening, I wouldn't mind being a buy game for a top 10 team in one of the games and hoping we pull off a miracle at their place. Don't know if any of those teams are still looking for games, just a thought.

The only problem I see with your Buy game theory is a thought that big name schools might not to schedule us as a buy game given the improvement we expect.  Don't you schedule buy games with teams that you think should be almost guaranteed wins?  We showed last year, with our win over VT, even in a somewhat down year for us, that we are capable of beating most teams, especially with our improved roster this year.

They will not give away a home game for any away game - the schedule normally contains 16 games and the season tix price reflects that number.  If they go to a 15 home game schedule then they would have to lower the season tix price and they are not about to give money away. 

2 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

They will not give away a home game for any away game - the schedule normally contains 16 games and the season tix price reflects that number.  If they go to a 15 home game schedule then they would have to lower the season tix price and they are not about to give money away. 

-guessing you are a season ticket holder, would you complain if you paid the same amount this season as last season for your ticket and there was one less game if the reason was to go on the road to play KU, Duke, UK, Zags, UVA, UNC, Mich St, Nova, UCLA, AZ or FL? 

52 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-guessing you are a season ticket holder, would you complain if you paid the same amount this season as last season for your ticket and there was one less game if the reason was to go on the road to play KU, Duke, UK, Zags, UVA, UNC, Mich St, Nova, UCLA, AZ or FL? 

I would not. 

59 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

As long as we keep playing Rockhurst, I’m good. 

NextYearBill likes this

1 minute ago, HoosierPal said:

As long as we keep playing Rockhurst, I’m good. 

The vaunted Jesuit spotlight game is such an attention grabber.🤪

HoosierPal likes this

2 hours ago, Cowboy said:

Yes I am a season tix holder and without that group the program would be in a difficult financial situation.  Actually this is not the question to ask.  The question to ask is do you want to give your season tix holders - the backbone of the program from a financial support stand point a full home schedule or not - if the answer is not then just come out and say all we care about is the money we get from you and not if we give you any purchased value.  Now, just like the NFL tix holders wonder why they have to play for 2 preseason games many season tix holders would also ask why are you charging me the same price for an exhibition game as D1 game?  I understand the point you are trying to make I just am not sure it is as simple as you want to make it.

HenryB likes this

4 hours ago, bauman said:

The only problem I see with your Buy game theory is a thought that big name schools might not to schedule us as a buy game given the improvement we expect.  Don't you schedule buy games with teams that you think should be almost guaranteed wins?  We showed last year, with our win over VT, even in a somewhat down year for us, that we are capable of beating most teams, especially with our improved roster this year.

Actually, I think most teams want the best possible buy game opponents you can get. Nobody wants to play someone 250 or higher in the rpi. You’d much rather play a buy game opponent 75-100