2018-19 Schedule

ACE

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would think that Loyola would be a no-brainer for both schools.  Close for fans; areas that each want to recruit;  friendly staffs;  no adverse affect on SOS, in fact just the opposite.  To some degree the same can be said about Memphis and keeping Butler as an annual home and home opponent.  Wich. State might fall into the same category.  While Fla teams would make for a nice roadtrip, I think plenty of midwestern schools should be welcome to home and homes.  Also, while not a big SOS positive, I would welcome seeing Bradley on the schedule, making for 3 MVC teams (SIU; Loyola and Bradley)  Screw Mo. State unless they are willing to come to STL every couple of years but not while the students are on Christmas break.  I'd much rather see Bradley, who I think has quite a base of grads here in STL.

I think our anticipated improvement should make us a better candidate for some P5 plus Beast schools-just not SPUMAC, since we will no longer be a drag on their SOS's.  The only problem is they might not want to risk losing to us so I would be ok with us being a buy game for a couple of big schools this coming year and maybe even next year, just to get our "nose under the tent."  I'm thinking about some upper level, just not elite ACC schools-no Duke or UNCs.

1 hour ago, bauman said:

Also, while not a big SOS positive, I would welcome seeing Bradley on the schedule, making for 3 MVC teams (SIU; Loyola and Bradley)  Screw Mo. State unless they are willing to come to STL every couple of years but not while the students are on Christmas break.  I'd much rather see Bradley, who I think has quite a base of grads here in STL.

I agree - give me Bradley over Missouri State.

SLU_Lax likes this

1 hour ago, Box and Won said:

I agree - give me Bradley over Missouri State.

I am still not ready to forgive MoState for not upholding what Rick saw as a verbal contract.  I do not even know how much or how little offense MoState really committed, but I do not care.  In honor (and memory) of Rick, I do not want to play them and I do not know or care if that is a reasonable stance to take.

NextYearBill likes this

1 hour ago, SLU_Lax said:

I am still not ready to forgive MoState for not upholding what Rick saw as a verbal contract.  I do not even know how much or how little offense MoState really committed, but I do not care.  In honor (and memory) of Rick, I do not want to play them and I do not know or care if that is a reasonable stance to take.

Rick got an oral agreement  with the AD at the time.   The agreement was for a continuation of the home and home series.  The contract was sent to SMS and they simply held it without signing.  Rick did not think much about it since he and the AD had agreed.  A new coach was hired and he did not want to honor the verbal agreement so when SLU was finalizing the schedule in Sept. they  realized that SMS had not returned the contract.  SLU called up and found out that SMS had no desire to honor it since it was our turn to host - the new coach did not want to get his brains beat in.  They did not call SLU but simply said we changed our minds.  RIck was besides himself and vowed never to play SMS again - good enough for me - we ended up having to schedule another D3 team given that they could not find anybody else who was free for that time slot period.  

QUAILMAN and Zink like this

4 hours ago, cheeseman said:

Rick got an oral agreement  with the AD at the time.   The agreement was for a continuation of the home and home series.  The contract was sent to SMS and they simply held it without signing.  Rick did not think much about it since he and the AD had agreed.  A new coach was hired and he did not want to honor the verbal agreement so when SLU was finalizing the schedule in Sept. they  realized that SMS had not returned the contract.  SLU called up and found out that SMS had no desire to honor it since it was our turn to host - the new coach did not want to get his brains beat in.  They did not call SLU but simply said we changed our minds.  RIck was besides himself and vowed never to play SMS again - good enough for me - we ended up having to schedule another D3 team given that they could not find anybody else who was free for that time slot period.  

Didn't Majerus have a press conference after we played Mo St vowing not to ever play them again?  I remember seeing it posted here.

2 hours ago, thetorch said:

Didn't Majerus have a press conference after we played Mo St vowing not to ever play them again?  I remember seeing it posted here.

Don't remember that and I don't remember how I heard the story.- I am thinking I heard Rick talk about itit at a Billiken Club meeting when they still had them.

1 hour ago, cheeseman said:

Don't remember that and I don't remember how I heard the story.- I am thinking I heard Rick talk about itit at a Billiken Club meeting when they still had them.

Skip to 1:48

Petty or not, I roll with Rick and really don’t want to play MoState. They want games in St. Louis for recruiting reasons and have a fair amount of alumni here. We don’t have many recruits or alumni in Springfield. I’d rather play Bradley or Illinois State or Loyola. I’d even prefer to play Evansville.

I consider SIUC something we already do and should keep doing. 

9 hours ago, TheBand said:

Perhaps a game with K-State?  They keep getting shafted by Wichita State:

http://www.kansas.com/sports/college/big-12/kansas-state/article209979384.html

That would be cool.

I'd be happy with any Midwestern power 5 school.

Arkansas, either Iowa, Illinois, Northwestern, either Oklahoma, Tennessee,  would all be pretty cool.

On April 25, 2018 at 3:00 PM, billiken_roy said:

all games should be acc, big 10, big 12, sec, or big east teams or else the opponent should be a team that was ranked last year in the top 25.   all games should be a part of a 2 year home and away deal and have equal amounts of home and away games.     thats who i would like to see for our "other games" ooc.   no buy games.  

Agree with this wholeheartedly.

billiken_roy and I Agreeing more and more.

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Butler is Coming to Town December 1st

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I'll be in town for Thanksgiving and then the weekend of December 8th for a wedding. Shoot.

2 minutes ago, willie said:

At the golf tournament Ford said we were close to finalizing next years exempt tournament. Ideas anybody?

Probably between Cancun challenge or Hall of Fame Belfast classic.

Also Hoophall Miami, Holiday Festival, Jerry Colangelo Classic, Orange Bowl basketball classic, are possible showcases. 

We need to get Nevada on the schedule, as much as I dislike their coach. 

They just picked up one of the last remaining 5 Star recruits from this year’s class. Two grad transfers as well. They’ve also got a lot coming back from their very good team this past year. 

12 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Probably between Cancun challenge or Hall of Fame Belfast classic.

Also Hoophall Miami, Holiday Festival, Jerry Colangelo Classic, Orange Bowl basketball classic, are possible showcases. 

It won't be HOF Belfast if we are playing Butler on the December 1.  That is the last date of the HOF Belfast.  Hoophall, Orange Bowl, Holiday Festival Colangelo Classic are one day events.

If we are going to play in a traditional bracketed tournament it looks like it will Cancun or Myrtle Beach.

A good rundown of where stuff stands on open spots, https://www.bloggingthebracket.com/2018/5/8/17328452/college-basketball-holiday-tournaments-thanksgiving-exempt-multi-team-event-mte-vacancies-2018.

Finally, it appears that ESPN Events has ended the Puerto Rico Tip-Off after consecutive relocations (2016 due to the zika virus and 2017 due to the devastation wreaked by hurricanes Irma and Maria) and the continued recovery still required in Puerto Rico. Last season’s Tip-Off host, the HTC Center in Conway, S.C. will now host a new tournament, the Myrtle Beach Invitational, in the same pre-Thanksgiving window, with many of the same teams slated to go to Fajardo. The Colorado Buffaloes, originally slated to play in the Puerto Rico Tip-Off, were moved to the Hawaiian Airlines Diamond Head Classic. As a result, one spot remains open in South Carolina.

Potential Power Conference Participants And Landing Spots

While it’s possible that team from one of the Power 7 conferences fills that final place in ESPN’s newest tournament, it’s more likely that a mid-major will be the Conway event’s eighth team. It’s a similar story for the Suncoast Classic. However, I’d expect at least one power team to make the trip to Belfast to give that event a headliner.

So what other events might be looking for a Power 7 entrant? And, on the flip side, how many such squads are out there.

Let’s answer the second question first, as 14 power conference teams are currently not officially in an event as of May 8, 2018. That number expands to 15 if Boston College won’t be playing in the Mystery Spot, I mean Suncoast, Classic.

The Big 12 and Pac-12 are already fully committed.

Note that last season, 12 Power 7 teams played in a round-robin multi-team event, with the Houston Cougars and Notre Dame Fighting Irish already lined up to play in such scheduling alliances this fall. And their events won’t even be the two most prominent such showcases, as the Gotham Classic and HoopHall Miami (which might have been a 2017-only deal) currently don’t have any reported teams.

As for the other events needing teams . . .

• A Penn State message board discovered that the Nittany Lions, SMU Mustangs, and Wright State Raiders are set to be hosts in the Cancun Challenge. While the visitors’ quartet is full, one host, who naturally won’t come from the American, Big Ten, or Horizon, is required to fill that field.
  • The Jamaica Classic in Montego Bay will be back, with eight-team men’s and women’s events. A Casual Hoya post suggests that Georgetown—coached by Jamaican-American Patrick Ewing—might be a participant on the men’s side. But I’ve come across no further information about whether this is more than rumor or of any potential Hoya opponents in November.
  • Last season’s Barclays Center Classic didn’t quite live up to its name, as the event’s Friday games took place on LIU Brooklyn‘s campus, thanks to conflicts with a Brooklyn Nets home game in the early afternoon and the NIT Season Tip-Off finals in the evening. That makes me wonder if there will be a 2018 edition, as I’ve come across no information about participating teams.

12 11 non-committed teams from the top tier of mid-major conference are other possibilities to fill these spots, and again, if Richmond and Wyoming are no longer tied to the Suncoast Classic, that number will stand at 14 13.

Note that the Gaels, left out of 2018’s NCAA field due to a weak non-conference schedule, withdrew from the Diamond Head Classic.