Hometown hero: Jayson Tatum

2 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

and as for local connection, besides tatum let's not forget smart is a Ford student.   Smart is a fun player to watch but in a different way than tatum.   smart is the ultimate glue guy type guy.  hits a shot here and there, plays hard defense usually 2-3 big steals every game, draws the big charge, makes the unexpected pass, etc.  

I'm actually surprised you think Smart is a fun player to watch given your previous comments about the NBA.

I want to like / root for Smart because he is a Ford / Forte guy and has the SLU connection, but geez it is kind of hard.  He's a bad flopper / actor / complainer.  He's borderline dirty sometimes.  He's a very streaky shooter who can sometimes go on streaks of chucking up bricks & turning the ball over.  The only good thing about him is that he's a very tough defender and plays hard all the time.  I can't get past the flopping / acting though.  Same reason it is hard to root for Chris Paul or Kyle Lowry.

Coach314 likes this

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

I'm actually surprised you think Smart is a fun player to watch given your previous comments about the NBA.

I want to like / root for Smart because he is a Ford / Forte guy and has the SLU connection, but geez it is kind of hard.  He's a bad flopper / actor / complainer.  He's borderline dirty sometimes.  He's a very streaky shooter who can sometimes go on streaks of chucking up bricks & turning the ball over.  The only good thing about him is that he's a very tough defender and plays hard all the time.  I can't get past the flopping / acting though.  Same reason it is hard to root for Chris Paul or Kyle Lowry.

The aspect of the NBA I hate is the individual me me me part without the effort.  Back in the 90 when I quit watching there was a lot of that, but imo it has lessened.  I detest smart's hair style of the day, and the new outlandish shoes he changes every game isn't a favorite part of his game, but I like his play.   Plays hard.  I don't think he's selfish and he's a winner.   Seems to often be in the right place and then converts, both offensive and defensive.

38 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Or Lebron. Wants to be the goat but can you imagine MJ, Magic, Larry, Shaq, etc... going down like they were hit by a mack truck when there is video evidence showing absolutely no contact. 

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

The aspect of the NBA I hate is the individual me me me part without the effort.  Back in the 90 when I quit watching there was a lot of that, but imo it has lessened.  I detest smart's hair style of the day, and the new outlandish shoes he changes every game isn't a favorite part of his game, but I like his play.   Plays hard.  I don't think he's selfish and he's a winner.   Seems to often be in the right place and then converts, both offensive and defensive.

I think getting rid of the "no Zone" rule made it more enjoyable. the athleticism in the NBA best in history imo.

cgeldmacher likes this

Justin Tatum sat the row in front of me on my flight back to STL from the west coast after game 2. So many people starred at him bc his outfit made him look like a player, had several people come up and ask him who he was. 

tatum has meant nothing to me since the day he committed to duke. 

i am all in for curry and the warriors.  

TaLBErt likes this

23 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

tatum has meant nothing to me since the day he committed to duke. 

i am all in for curry and the warriors.  

no way could you ever fault Jayson for not playing for Crews. I'll be honest, I'm glad he didn't come here. we would have won 15 games, Jayson would have left after year 1, and Crews would have stayed at least another year or so. 

dlarry likes this

ESPN has a long story about Jayson and his family. Great read. One interesting point is that Justin told coach K that Jayson was going to Duke in an early recruiting visit. Guess our believe that we were in it to the end was false. 

7 minutes ago, willie said:

ESPN has a long story about Jayson and his family. Great read. One interesting point is that Justin told coach K that Jayson was going to Duke in an early recruiting visit. Guess our believe that we were in it to the end was false. 

WHAT, this board was wrong?  That is a first, right? 

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

Justin Tatum sat the row in front of me on my flight back to STL from the west coast after game 2. So many people starred at him bc his outfit made him look like a player, had several people come up and ask him who he was. 

u chat him up?

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

WHAT, this board was wrong?  That is a first, right? 

It means literally nothing now, but SLU had a legitimate shot at Tatum. If there were 100 universes, Tatum was a Billiken in 95 of them. Unfortunately, SLU was in a bad spot at the wrong time.

I didn't want Tatum at SLU for the very reasons entered here by wgstl.  The loss of Tatum to Duke (always expected, never doubted) further showed [dead]'s inability to recruit.  To try and pass off Zeke Moore as a suitable replacement recruit was pure poppycock but clearly demonstrated [dead]'s way of thinking.  Furthermore, there was no savior to ride in and make the program mediocre for a year and thereby extend [dead]'s run even longer.  The best thing to happen for SLU was what happened and I'm thankful it went down that way.

But like roy, my interest in Tatum went out the window when he signed with Duke and my total lack of interest in the NBA today makes paying no attention to these finals quite easy.  

Billiken Rich likes this

1 hour ago, BilliesBy40 said:

It means literally nothing now, but SLU had a legitimate shot at Tatum. If there were 100 universes, Tatum was a Billiken in 95 of them. Unfortunately, SLU was in a bad spot at the wrong time.

So what is your inside . Yes I know we all thought we had a shot but why? If I believe the ESPN article it was over from day one. 

18 hours ago, willie said:

You are believing that Justin had a say in where Jayson was ultimately ending up, which is false.

Anybody see where Justin and Larry were sitting at the game last night? I could have gotten those seats.

BilliesBy40 likes this

3 hours ago, thetorch said:

You are believing that Justin had a say in where Jayson was ultimately ending up, which is false.

Anybody see where Justin and Larry were sitting at the game last night? I could have gotten those seats.

Are you being sarcastic or? Like they're for sale to the general public but on the secondary market they're definitely more than $1k

I looked the insta stories up after I read your post expecting to see nosebleeds LOL

Per the latest bargaining agreement, every player gets four will call tickets per game for personal guests. Jayson's mom no doubt has a permanent one of those for herself, probably more. Beyond those four, he's either asking anyone else for unused extras (highly unlikely at home, even during the regular season) or he or his guests are buying them. Player will call seats are generally in the 100s behind that team's bench. Looked like Tatum, Hughes, and Hughes Jr. were in about row 12-15 across from the bench. Someone likely bought them. They were also in the tunnel outside the locker room after the game.

Even inner circles extend beyond four people. No shame in those seats, and that doesn't mean they aren't inner circle.

More to my point is its an easy story for a writer to connect Justin and Larry Hughes to Jayson. They can say what they want...now.

At the time of his recruitment we all know what was happening. No need to change the story around 6 years later.

46 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Per the latest bargaining agreement, every player gets four will call tickets per game for personal guests. Jayson's mom no doubt has a permanent one of those for herself, probably more. Beyond those four, he's either asking anyone else for unused extras (highly unlikely at home, even during the regular season) or he or his guests are buying them. Player will call seats are generally in the 100s behind that team's bench. Looked like Tatum, Hughes, and Hughes Jr. were in about row 12-15 across from the bench. Someone likely bought them. They were also in the tunnel outside the locker room after the game.

Even inner circles extend beyond four people. No shame in those seats, and that doesn't mean they aren't inner circle.

Drew Hanlen typically get a ticket from Jayson as well.