Hometown hero: Jayson Tatum

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 7 months later...
4 hours ago, JohnnyJumpUp said:

This should also count as a 50pt playoff game...

NBA, hate their game, so boring and predictable.  Tatum, liked his Dad, he was a nice Billiken player.  His kid, never seen him play since he didn't play for the Bills ..... and now plays in the NBA.

• 11 months later...
On 5/4/2018 at 12:03 PM, thetorch said:

Again to be considered a better player than Macauley Tatum will have to be a top 5 player in the NBA for at least 4-5 seasons without injuries.  Look at Tatum's contemporaries, Mitchell, Simmons, Giannis, Embiid, KAT, Davis is still only 26, the list goes on.  Tatum may become a consistent All star, but I think that is his ceiling.  All NBA first team you must be a transcendent player even to make it once.  To even just match Macauley's total of 3, you would probably end up as one of the top 30 players in history.  Russell, Iverson, Lucas, Pippen, Zeke, all those guys have just 3 all nba first teams.

Easy Ed on high-alert 

BilliesBy40 likes this

9 minutes ago, majerus mojo said:

Easy Ed on high-alert 

The game is so different today.  I don't know how you can compare players from different eras anymore.  Today's superstar can get into the paint area anytime he wants with little fear of getting his shot blocked.  Blowouts have become just as common in the second and third rounds the playoffs as they are in the first. 

There are no great teams.  And since he never has to face them, there's never been a better time to be an NBA star.  Tatum is going to clean up in this environment.

2 minutes ago, brianstl said:

The craziest thing isn't the players' ages, it is the fact that this is the second season in a row with more than half of the first team from Europe.

Out of those 5 players, you could make a good argument that the top 3 are all from Europe and a very good argument that 3 of the top 4 are.  IMO Booker isn't on the same level as the others.  Tatum / Doncic depends on your deference for playmaking vs defense.  Basketball is a truly a global game.

brianstl likes this

35 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Out of those 5 players, you could make a good argument that the top 3 are all from Europe and a very good argument that 3 of the top 4 are.  IMO Booker isn't on the same level as the others.  Tatum / Doncic depends on your deference for playmaking vs defense.  Basketball is a truly a global game.

I've watched a lot of the Mav's playoff games as I was in Ft Worth at my little brothers house for much of the Phoenix series and he's a huge Mav fan and season ticket holder. Doncic doesn't play a lick of D. 

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

The craziest thing isn't the players' ages, it is the fact that this is the second season in a row with more than half of the first team from Europe.

Giannis Antekounmpo may have been born in Europe but the name "Antekounmpo" is African.

Tatum took another step this year by playing D.  He's not an all league defender but he is capable now.  With him defending now the Celtics have no holes on defense, this makes it easier for him on the other end.  He deserves this 1st team although if Durant wasn't hurt all those games I still don't know if he beats him out for it.

Booker may be the worst 1st teamer since....Deandre Jordan, Tim Hardaway, Mark Price I guess.

The NBA talent level is still super high.  The compressed schedules the past 3 years have robbed vets of time with injuries.  We may be at a crossroads with the older stars going down, James, Durant, Harden, Curry, Paul are probably soon to be washed.  Davis is weak.  Giannis is the real deal as is Jokic.  Embiid not good enough.  Doncic is the next great superstar.  All he has to do is get in a modicum of shape and play slight defense and he'll have multiple titles.  Morant next after him.  Tatum is right there as well.

majerus mojo and slufan13 like this

3 hours ago, majerus mojo said:

Dang I just realized the “bad post” reactions have been removed. I thought there was something different about the “good post” button, but couldn’t put my finger on it 

You can't give bad posts anymore?

17 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Noticed that too. Big offseason board drama. The bad post/troll post was a really good feature

Except that too many posters couldn’t differentiate between a poster they didn’t like or a poster with different political views, and an actual troll. Some posters just automatically gave a troll post to every post from posters they didn’t like who clearly aren’t trolls. The troll designation was abused. 

22 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Except that too many posters couldn’t differentiate between a poster they didn’t like or a poster with different political views, and an actual troll. Some posters just automatically gave a troll post to every post from posters they didn’t like who clearly aren’t trolls. The troll designation was abused. 

This is so true, and I am glad Steve took those off.  If you don't agree with a poster's opinion, that didn't make it a bad post.  It was simply something you didn't agree with.  There were a few posters who simply but a troll response on a post because of the author and not because of the content.  The Ignore function is still active, so if you don't like a poster, simply put him/her on Ignore.  I have several on my list.

Old guy and slufanskip like this

23 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

I find it interesting that the least global of our major sports (NFL) is the one viewed as the most popular.  Seems like it the lack of international interest should be hurting the NFL, buy maybe they don't need it.

27 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

In game one of the NBA three-point shooting contest, I mean finals, Boston triumphed, going 21 for 41 while Golden State went 19 for 45.

it was a fun game to watch.   Curry is the reason i watch the nba again.  i had quit watching for probably 10+ years and then i kept hearing how much fun he was to watch so i started watching golden state whenever they were on tv.   and man he is still quite the show.   

that said, he started the game looking like the world beater again.   then the celtics put tatum on him.   and imo tatum slowing him down considerably was difference maker.   sure he ended up with 34 but 21 of that was pre-tatum defense.  so while he was slowing down tatum the rest of the celtics were shooting out of their heads.   actually very impressive comeback by boston.   i would bet horford wont play like that again.   and that tatum wont contain curry like that again.  

of course tatum wont be held to 12 points again either so still going to be an incredible series imo.   

cant believe i'm into it like i am.   this is a great matchup.  

and as for local connection, besides tatum let's not forget smart is a Ford student.   Smart is a fun player to watch but in a different way than tatum.   smart is the ultimate glue guy type guy.  hits a shot here and there, plays hard defense usually 2-3 big steals every game, draws the big charge, makes the unexpected pass, etc.