Hometown hero: Jayson Tatum

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nah

Easy Ed was a 3 time first team all nba and 7 time all star.

Jo Jo White also a 7 time all star and 2 time all nba 2nd team.

Tatum will never make a 1st team all NBA.  He may make some all star teams.  To be better than Easy Ed he would have to be one of the top 5 players in the league for an extended period of time.  I don't think his ceiling is that high.  

Tatum also hit the jackpot playing for the Celtics.  Stevens is the best coach of his generation.  If Tatum was drafted by Sacremento, New Jersey, Orlando, Detroit etc how would he look.

dennis_w likes this

16 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

You can not compare players from different eras -  When Easy Ed played you did not have to jump (like in the movie) 

Tatum would rest his ball sack on Easy Ed's forehead as he drove in for a basket 

2 hours ago, NextYearBill said:

^haters just gonna hate. happy Friday everyone 

Happy Friday to you to I am happy for the young home town kid whose father played for SLU.

see what I did there with the SLU reference

39 minutes ago, NextYearBill said:

Tatum would rest his ball sack on Easy Ed's forehead as he drove in for a basket 

Oh my there is a lot there but love the passion for the hometown kid

31 minutes ago, NextYearBill said:

umm.... the thread is titled specifically for this topic bud. dont read it 

Nobody and I mean nobody tells the towel man to post on a Duke thread.

NextYearBill likes this

1 hour ago, cheeseman said:

You can not compare players from different eras -  When Easy Ed played you did not have to jump (like in the movie) 

When judging players from different eras, you see how they stack up against their contemporaries. So you can actually use things like all-star appearances to compare one player against another across eras.  Great players in one era, would be great in any era.  They would have benefited from the better coaching, training, nutrition and healthcare if they would have grown up in this era.

And for people who think you didn't need to jump or have speed to be great in Easy Ed's era, I give you a Bill Russell highlight from that era.

Zink and HenryB like this

7 hours ago, thetorch said:

To be better than Easy Ed he would have to be one of the top 5 players in the league for an extended period of time. 

That is CRAZY talk.

I'm not sure who the 6th best player was in the NBA this year, probably one of these guys

Harden
LeBron
Steph
Durant
Anthony Davis
Giannis

You're not going to seriously argue Easy Ed is better than any of them, are you?

Tatum has helped carry an injury plagued team to a 2-0 lead in the the Eastern Conference semi-finals at age 20.

It's entirely plausible in a few years Tatum could be the best player on the NBA champs. If he accomplished that in this era and he's got it, regardless of how many All-NBA teams he makes.

majerus mojo likes this

47 minutes ago, brianstl said:

So you can actually use things like all-star appearances to compare one player against another across eras.

There were only 11 teams in the 1950's. Not even touching how much better the overall talent is. (see: Duff Man, above)

Here's a snapshot of the '51-'52 season, Ed's third in the league, from NBA.com's season recaps:

image.png.1eece08b44e2acc62a88ee55005009b7.png

The jump shot was becoming "more prevalent" lol. Black players had only been integrated the season before, and a handful at that. Trying to compare the two eras is silly.

1 minute ago, majerus mojo said:

There were only 11 teams in the 1950's. Not even touching how much better the overall talent is. (see: Duff Man, above)

Here's a snapshot of the '51-'52 season, Ed's third in the league, from NBA.com's season recaps:

image.png.1eece08b44e2acc62a88ee55005009b7.png

The jump shot was becoming "more prevalent" lol. Black players had only been integrated the season before, and a handful at that. Trying to compare the two eras is silly.

The reduced numbers of teams actually made it harder to make an all-star team for many players.  There were less spots for someone to be a the guy on a specific team.

The jump shot bit you quoted actually kind of makes my point.  When you compare players of one era to another you judge them by how they stack up against their contemporaries. 

I would argue that the raw talent is not better.  What is the biggest difference is the finished product because of advances in coaching, training, nutrition,healthcare, etc.  Almost all of the great players of past eras would be great players in the current era if they grew up in this era.  The raw talent is the same, the finished product is better because of circumstances the players of previous era had no control over.

2 minutes ago, majerus mojo said:

looks like one of easy e's contemporaries 

And my defense of past players, is not a shot a Tatum.  If Tatum stays healthy, he has a better than 50-50 chance of becoming the best player ever from St Louis.  I think he is that good.  Hell, I was taking crap on here before the season started because people thought I was overstating the impact Tatum would have on the Celtics this season.

majerus mojo likes this

22 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I would argue that the raw talent is not better.

you're arguing that there was more raw talent in the 1950's NBA... when, what, ~5% of the league was black? what is this mythical raw talent you are referring to, and how do you know so many of those old dudes possessed it lol? they barely knew what a jumper was 😭

put me in the camp that thinks tatum is extremely special and has a chance to be the best player ever to come out of the st louis area.

Naismith hall of fame; Olympic gold medal; 14,000 points; 4000 assists; 2000 rebounds; star of 5th game triple-overtime NBA classic final with 33 points; 4th greatest Celtic player of all time. Usually played 40 minutes per game. If Tatum can overtake JoJo White, he will have an unbelievable career

majerus mojo likes this

32 minutes ago, majerus mojo said:

you're arguing that there was more raw talent in the 1950's NBA... when, what, ~5% of the league was black? what is this mythical raw talent you are referring to, and how do you know so many of those old dudes possessed it lol? they barely knew what a jumper was 😭

A jump shot is the finished product.  It isn't raw talent.  It is something you learn.  You aren't born with a jump shot.

So Bill Russell isn't one of the greatest big men of all time because there was less black players then? Is Willie Mays not one of the greatest baseball players of all-time because a sizable  chunk of his best seasons happened when less than 7% of MLB players were black?