OT: Where tangental posts get moved

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

I have no disagreement.  All I'm saying is that, were Steve to implement my suggestion or something like it, this troll — or any other user whom the consensus fairly judges to be a troll — would be branded in such a way that nonmembers (who do not have access to "ignore" options) would know to discount comments made by such troll.

"Ignoring him" will not work. He'll keep posting. Anybody who saw his act on the stltoday board can attest that this strategy will not work. That board had very little traffic. There would be days where he was the only one making SLU related posts and he would make a LOT of them. He'll keep posting whether people respond to him or not. 

Your suggestion is a good one and Steve should implement it. He has earned the troll points. His profile should label him Troll or some similar designation for all visitors to see.

If folks want to deal with him by putting him on ignore that's fine. But if the troll is allowed to post in the name of the 1st Amendment, others should also have the freedom to respond if they so choose. Personally, sometimes I find some of the counter-punches to the troll quite funny.

TheDude and billiken_roy like this

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, NextYearBill said:

so here's the catch 22..... I cant report a post with a user on ignore....

Yes you can. Just click on it where it shows you chose to ignore. It'll give you the option to view it then follow instructions to report

On 5/8/2018 at 8:15 AM, Tilkowsky said:

I don't hate SLU. What I hate is when SLU players behave with conduct unbecoming SLU varsity basketball players.

Participating in an orgy, filming said orgy and posting it online is not conduct that SLU basketball players should be participating in.

The other thing that is sad is when posters on this site condone this behavior and don't think the players should be held accountable at all.

Kick this losers ass of the board, and I don’t want to hear the [garbage] that he will just come back. If he comes back, kick his ass off again. It takes a few seconds to delete him. Billikens.Com doesn’t need this [guy] on their site. Allowing his trash is how you do long term damage to this board. 

Edited by Quality Is Job 1

On 5/8/2018 at 4:31 PM, BIG BILL FAN said:

Kick this losers ass of the board, and I don’t want to hear the [garbage] that he will just come back. If he comes back, kick his ass off again. It takes a few seconds to delete him. Billikens.Com doesn’t need this [guy] on their site. Allowing his trash is how you do long term damage to this board.

1536.gif

MattyMo213 likes this

On 5/8/2018 at 4:31 PM, BIG BILL FAN said:

get-him-the-hell-out-of-here.gif

3 hours ago, ACE said:

Twenty "Hide posts" submissions is way too many. Mods, please lower that number.

20 members is less than 10% of the people who logged into Billikens.com in the last 24 hours.  It is a far smaller percentage when considering the number of unique visitors to the site.   And this is in the middle of May when traffic is much lower on Billikens.com.

I will take lowering the number into consideration - but I am going to avoid letting a small number of users be able to hide posts of other users.  

34 minutes ago, SluSignGuy said:

20 members is less than 10% of the people who logged into Billikens.com in the last 24 hours.  It is a far smaller percentage when considering the number of unique visitors to the site.   And this is in the middle of May when traffic is much lower on Billikens.com.

I will take lowering the number into consideration - but I am going to avoid letting a small number of users be able to hide posts of other users.  

Can you find out how many of us have him on Ignore and factor that into the equation?

6 minutes ago, JeffinMH said:

Lets not engage in censorship. People should not be blocked or deleted to satisfy a few.  It is not the American  way.

In principal I agree with you. A lot of issues in this country are because people don’t believe the opposite opinion should ever be heard. They surround themselves on social media with like minded folks and create big echo chambers. 

This isnt anywhere near that. This is, for starters, a private message board that Steve graciously allows us to post things that make us all look really smart, and then dumb really quickly. If he wanted to ban me right now, that’s his choice and that’s the true American way. Private property and such. 

Second, this fella is just an internet troll. He has never had a post that wasn’t intended to bash SLU. Most psychiatrists would prescribe him heavy doses of lithium to turn him into a comatose vegetable. 

1 hour ago, JMM28 said:

In principal I agree with you. A lot of issues in this country are because people don’t believe the opposite opinion should ever be heard. They surround themselves on social media with like minded folks and create big echo chambers. 

This isnt anywhere near that. This is, for starters, a private message board that Steve graciously allows us to post things that make us all look really smart, and then dumb really quickly. If he wanted to ban me right now, that’s his choice and that’s the true American way. Private property and such. 

Second, this fella is just an internet troll. He has never had a post that wasn’t intended to bash SLU. Most psychiatrists would prescribe him heavy doses of lithium to turn him into a comatose vegetable. 

Exactly, this is a private board. No one, including myself, has any rights on this board. That said, I’m tired of having to sift through the $hit on this board. I guess the moderators can decide what is important to them. I read this board for enjoyment. When that enjoyment stops, so does my support.

13 hours ago, SluSignGuy said:

Since the new system has ben put in place, I don't think one of his posts has been hidden due to the 20 votes. That number will never be reached, so I think the reporting system as it is currently structured is ineffective. 

Honest differing opinions is what we should all be about.  Where the problem comes is when someone portraits an attacking negative post as an opinion.  It is not.  An opinion is based on facts and not silly personal attacks on others or the team.  I don't read the poster in question and have chosen not to ignore him since just maybe he might say something worth seeing but atlas I have not been rewarded.  You can usually tell in the first few words of his post if he is just being the same old same old.  I can go either way regarding him but I do understand that if a person's sole purpose for posting is to diminish the quality of discussion then what really is the purpose of his being a poster.

i understand the tilky frustrations because he is a complete idiot, but that said, i use more time worrying about the white knuckled women that i have to defend myself from on the way to work each morning that worrying about tilky.   reading tilky is no worse than reading today's headlines in newspapers, pretty much worthless information and i quickly page to the comics, obits and mlb boxscores.    put him on ignore and just move on guys.   if he truly ever says anything worthwhile to discuss, i am sure someone will reply and let us know.  

1 hour ago, ACE said:

Since the new system has been put in place, I don't think one of his posts has been hidden due to the 20 votes. That number will never be reached, so I think the reporting system as it is currently structured is ineffective. 

One of Tilkowsky's posts did accrue 20 votes and was hidden.  It just so happened that I had started the process of hiding it, myself, at the same time.

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 9:37 AM, billiken_roy said:

i use more time worrying about the white knuckled women that i have to defend myself from on the way to work each morning that worrying about tilky.  

Roy needs some sensitivity training if he's going to survive the PC times we are living in