OT: Where tangental posts get moved

On 4/19/2018 at 11:32 AM, JMM28 said:

Limiting posts is the absolute correct thing to do. Banning or whatever will just lead to this song and dance all over again, along with a learning curve for some posters to not respond.

I've never understood the ignore thing. It doesn't really bug me to see even the dumbest crap people post. However I am willing to guess that the vast majority of people who read posts here are not actual members, and thus do not have the ignore feature. I could be ignored by every active member, post everday that XYZ players are committing XYZ crime, and a lot of people will still see it. And associate it with SLU. How many times do posts from here show up on other schools forums without really knowing if that poster is worth a damn or not? That is kind of my point.

On 4/19/2018 at 12:54 PM, Quality Is Job 1 said:

That is a very good point.  I don't know of a solution to that, but it's certainly worth thinking about.

@JMM28 (cc: @SluSignGuy), I have given this issue some more thought, and following is what I've come up with as a possible solution for potentially damaging "information" that "alleged" trolls may post.

If the consensus is that a member is not a Billikens fan and appears to have an agenda to SLU's detriment, yet the administration is reluctant to ban the user (whatever the reason: whether because the poster isn't breaking rules or because the poster would just re-register with a new moniker which everyone would subsequently have to identify and judge), then SignGuy could give said member a custom Rank reflecting the low esteem generally held of said member.  It could be something like "Village Idiot" -- or perhaps something a little softer.  And then the offending member's group could say something like "One post a day not to be taken as representative of SLU fans."  Or the statements could be reversed (rank, group).

For the sake of comparison, my "Rank" is "I have reached billiken_roy levels of posting" and my group is "Moderator."  The poster in question has a rank of "Junior" and a group of "One Post a Day."

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

@JMM28 (cc: @SluSignGuy), I have given this issue some more thought, and following is what I've come up with as a possible solution for potentially damaging "information" that "alleged" trolls may post.

If the consensus is that a member is not a Billikens fan and appears to have an agenda to SLU's detriment, yet the administration is reluctant to ban the user (whatever the reason: whether because the poster isn't breaking rules or because the poster would just re-register with a new moniker which everyone would subsequently have to identify and judge), then SignGuy could give said member a custom Rank reflecting the low esteem generally held of said member.  It could be something like "Village Idiot" -- or perhaps something a little softer.  And then the offending member's group could say something like "One post a day not to be taken as representative of SLU fans."  Or the statements could be reversed (rank, group).

For the sake of comparison, my "Rank" is "I have reached billiken_roy levels of posting" and my group is "Moderator."  The poster in question has a rank of "Junior" and a group of "One Post a Day."

I like where you are going with this. I'm not an advocate of him being banned. Keep the one post per day thing and let him spew his crap. I like the Village idiot designation or go with something like Board bozo and have a picture of clown in his profile. Based on his troll points, he has earned such a public designation. 

35 minutes ago, ACE said:

I like where you are going with this. I'm not an advocate of him being banned. Keep the one post per day thing and let him spew his crap. I like the Village idiot designation or go with something like Board bozo and have a picture of clown in his profile. Based on his troll points, he has earned such a public designation. 

I'm not 100% certain, but I don't think the profile pic can be forced on anyone.  Any user can change his/her profile picture.

It is so, so easy to put someone on Ignore.  Then just a little self discipline to not read any quotes from TrollPants.  No need to do anything but Ignore TrollPants. But I'm kind of with Cowboy.  Let's roll on those who respond to TrollPants.

14 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

It is so, so easy to put someone on Ignore.  Then just a little self discipline to not read any quotes from TrollPants.  No need to do anything but Ignore TrollPants. But I'm kind of with Cowboy.  Let's roll on those who respond to TrollPants.

I'm not arguing that, just addressing the problem of outside perception that JMM mentioned.

I'm for self regulation on this issue. Put him on ignore, don't read his drivel, and never respond. That's what keeps this bottom feeder alive and to get inside your heads. This is Billikens. com we've always respected 1st Amendment rights. Let's keep it that way. They can say it, but you don't have to listen.

NextYearBill likes this

6 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I'm for self regulation on this issue. Put him on ignore, don't read his drivel, and never respond. That's what keeps this bottom feeder alive and to get inside your heads. This is Billikens. com we've always respected 1st Amendment rights. Let's keep it that way. They can say it, but you don't have to listen.

No disagreement.  But I want to address the issue JMM has astutely raised.  Nonmembers and outsiders can't block or ignore posts from trolls and pretenders, so their drivel could wind up being a representation of SLU fans in the minds of outsiders.  My suggestion is an attempt to ensure that outsiders will see that such posters do not represent the opinions of true SLU fans.

1 minute ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

No disagreement.  But I want to address the issue JMM has astutely raised.  Nonmembers and outsiders can't block or ignore posts from trolls and pretenders, so their drivel could wind up being a representation of SLU fans in the minds of outsiders.  My suggestion is an attempt to ensure that outsiders will see that such posters do not represent the opinions of true SLU fans.

I think your suggestion makes a lot of sense. Good compromise. The constant pleading of some posters trying to convince others to ignore him is also tiresome. If people want to put him on ignore great, BUT, if somebody wants to have some fun on a slow day and respond, that's fine too. 

Just give him a custom rank - make it very clear to all that based on his troll points - the board has concluded that this individual is a troll.

You admins are a lot more patient than I am. His account and IP address would've been blocked long ago if it were me having to deal with it.

That said, as a user here, I rely on the Ignore list. As soon as someone gets annoying or seems to be a troll, it's straight to the ignore list for them. I think my ignore list is like 7 pages long at this point (partially because I ignore all signatures for a better browsing experience - no offense to anyone there).

I tend to use my 3 post ratings a day for good posts and rarely bad posts or trolls, FWIW. If I had more, I'd use more liberally on trolls and bad posters. So the ignore list helps in a lot of ways.

philliken likes this

4 minutes ago, Pistol said:

You admins are a lot more patient than I am. His account and IP address would've been blocked long ago if it were me having to deal with it.

That said, as a user here, I rely on the Ignore list. As soon as someone gets annoying or seems to be a troll, it's straight to the ignore list for them. I think my ignore list is like 7 pages long at this point (partially because I ignore all signatures for a better browsing experience - no offense to anyone there).

I tend to use my 3 post ratings a day for good posts and rarely bad posts or trolls, FWIW. If I had more, I'd use more liberally on trolls and bad posters. So the ignore list helps in a lot of ways.

I don't think that ignoring signatures has any effect, because I haven't seen a signature from anyone in at least a few years.  From what I see, no one has a signature.  I don't even see my own old signature about moderation anymore.

So, if there are any posters for whom you are just ignoring the signature, you can shorten your ignore list.

7 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

I don't think that ignoring signatures has any effect, because I haven't seen a signature from anyone in at least a few years.  From what I see, no one has a signature.  I don't even see my own old signature about moderation anymore.

So, if there are any posters for whom you are just ignoring the signature, you can shorten your ignore list.

I wondered if those were still around, because I haven't seen any new ones in years. I just made it a habit to ignore new ones and haven't had to do it in a long time.

4 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Great go after the Johns rather than the call girls

21 minutes ago, almaman said:

Great go after the Johns rather than the call girls

I agree I do not get that.

6 hours ago, ACE said:

Board Bozo made me laugh good idea

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

The people who respond are the reason he keeps posting.  If you don’t give him the attention he craves he will try to find it some place else.  Even threads like this just encourage more posting from him.

Then why is he still posting?  Ignore does not always work. 

10 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Then why is he still posting?  Ignore does not always work. 

Because people keep responding to him.  With this post there are now 25 replies or posts talking about him since his post this morning.  The freak can get off on people talking about him from the moment he gets up until he goes to bed.  

People who don’t have the ability to control themselves when it comes to him should never b!tch about how Signguy or any of the moderators deal with him. They are the bigger part of the problem.

Signguy has made it as easy as possible to ignore the guy by limiting him to one post a day.  Banning his IP is worthless because he has proven over at stltoday he can easily get around that.  People are going to need to practice some self control.

Also what is this nonsense that having a troll on the board makes SLU or the board look bad?  To whom exactly?  This is the internet.  Everyone trolls everyone else 24 hours a day.

Add to ignore list.  Quit responding to posts.  He will eventually leave.

HoosierPal and slufanskip like this

14 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Also what is this nonsense that having a troll on the board makes SLU or the board look bad?  To whom exactly?  This is the internet.  Everyone trolls everyone else 24 hours a day.

Add to ignore list.  Quit responding to posts.  He will eventually leave.

I have no disagreement.  All I'm saying is that, were Steve to implement my suggestion or something like it, this troll — or any other user whom the consensus fairly judges to be a troll — would be branded in such a way that nonmembers (who do not have access to "ignore" options) would know to discount comments made by such troll.

11 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

BAN HIM

Then stop responding to him, Zach.  You obviously don't have him on ignore.  He has gotten under your skin, man.  Look the other way. Move on from him. QIJ1 is addressing a good issue, but it seems to me you more than anyone else keep his venom going by commenting on what an ahole he is.

Think on this. Please.

Love you, man.

mhg

drkelsey55 and slufanskip like this

5 hours ago, Billikenbooster said:

Then stop responding to him, Zach.  You obviously don't have him on ignore.  He has gotten under your skin, man.  Look the other way. Move on from him. QIJ1 is addressing a good issue, but it seems to me you more than anyone else keep his venom going by commenting on what an ahole he is.

Think on this. Please.

Love you, man.

mhg

He’s not under my skin, the dudes pathetic. I don’t even read his posts. What I do know is that you will never convince every poster on this board to stop responding to him. If by some miracle you do, you will always have new members of this board that will fall into his traps. Responding to Tildo(copyright Box and Won) is as equally annoying as clamoring for people to ignore him. 

9 hours ago, brianstl said:

Because people keep responding to him.  With this post there are now 25 replies or posts talking about him since his post this morning.  The freak can get off on people talking about him from the moment he gets up until he goes to bed.  

People who don’t have the ability to control themselves when it comes to him should never b!tch about how Signguy or any of the moderators deal with him. They are the bigger part of the problem.

Signguy has made it as easy as possible to ignore the guy by limiting him to one post a day.  Banning his IP is worthless because he has proven over at stltoday he can easily get around that.  People are going to need to practice some self control.

Brian.

With all due respect, there is no one who has posted more about him, who has told us about him and who has urged the rest of us to ignore him than you.  And for months, not once did I or most others respond to him to "keep feeding him" and encouraging him.   And the end result?  More of the same. together with post after post from you and others telling us, the choir, to ignore him, that he craves attention and that he and his posts are because of us giving him the audience he craves.  And the end result?  Each day, I would read more instigating posts full of half truths and lies about the soccer and basketball programs with no consequence. 

Unless I am mistaken, the consensus on this Board is that posts on this Board can, and do, affect the program and the Univesity - my alma mater.  For example, even honest and truthful posts about key members of SLU might not only inform others and allow posters to vent but would have other negative consequences such as helping create a negative stereotype of the program/University to the casual fan or occasional reader.  We know that recruits and players, together with their families and friends, read this Board and are likely affected by what they read. Of course I don't believe that any one (1) poster speaks for the entire Board/SLU community but I also know that negative and unsubstantiated posts are not good for the Board/SLU community either.

I am neither a moderator nor owner of this Board .  And while I respect both, I question why is not easier and better for the Board for the instigating post to be moderated or deleted (in whole or in part) if an outright ban of the poster is not the preferred course of action.  My response after months of watching your ignore him approach not work?  Respond to him set things straight and/or to get the thread locked.  The response?  The ignore feature has been installed for me.   Has the issue of this poster been resolved?  Of course not.  Enjoy.