Markos is a graduate

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, almaman said:

So could either Bess or Welmer leave to be grad?transfer?

Yes for Bess, although no need to worry. Not sure about welmer since hes like 30

yep don't worry about him splitting but just trying to understand this grad transfer stuff. I'm amazed about all these kids graduating in 3 years, HS kids reclassifying as seniors. Seems like wasn't long ago that it was trending 5 years to graduate instead of 4. Kids getting smarter? school easier?

7 hours ago, almaman said:

yep don't worry about him splitting but just trying to understand this grad transfer stuff. I'm amazed about all these kids graduating in 3 years, HS kids reclassifying as seniors. Seems like wasn't long ago that it was trending 5 years to graduate instead of 4. Kids getting smarter? school easier?

Bess has sat out a year of playing so he has been in school for 4 years. 

A lot of people are coming into schools having taken high school courses that counted for college credits as well. Some freshmen I’ve known have been sophomores before they step foot on campus. 

1 hour ago, JMM28 said:

A lot of people are coming into schools having taken high school courses that counted for college credits as well. Some freshmen I’ve known have been sophomores before they step foot on campus. 

humble brag... I graduated SLU in 3 years.... thank you Edwardsville PUBLIC High School for the credits 

11 hours ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Eliot Welmer has already earned a bachelor's degree?  Doesn't he (basically) have three years of eligibility left?  He could get a master's and then some in the time he has available.

Hypothetical. Welmer plays for SLU this year while in grad school. Hasn't graduated from his program. Could he still be a grad transfer the following year? 

11 hours ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Eliot Welmer has already earned a bachelor's degree?  Doesn't he (basically) have three years of eligibility left?  He could get a master's and then some in the time he has available.

We might be calling him Doctor Welmer by the time he finishes his eligibility.

Billikid likes this

13 minutes ago, willie said:

Hypothetical. Welmer plays for SLU this year while in grad school. Hasn't graduated from his program. Could he still be a grad transfer the following year? 

If changes what graduate program he is in, I assume it wouldn’t be an issue.

Welmer is a business major. It appears he's staying this season, so my presumption is that he'll do a one-year full-time MBA at SLU.

He could have been a grad transfer this year, but he's probably better off staying this season, logging some actual minutes, and then becoming a grad transfer next season. He'll have an MBA and can pursue anything he wants academically without pressure. And he'll hit the grad transfer market with some actual recent footage for coaches to scout him with.

12 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Welmer is a business major. It appears he's staying this season, so my presumption is that he'll do a one-year full-time MBA at SLU.

He could have been a grad transfer this year, but he's probably better off staying this season, logging some actual minutes, and then becoming a grad transfer next season. He'll have an MBA and can pursue anything he wants academically without pressure. And he'll hit the grad transfer market with some actual recent footage for coaches to scout him with.

Since he has 3 years of eligibility left, would this approach cause him to lose a year? Or, can you play 2 years where he transfers to?

1 minute ago, slu72 fan said:

Since he has 3 years of eligibility left, would this approach cause him to lose a year? Or, can you play 2 years where he transfers to?

He would not lose a year because he's a grad transfer. He'd be immediately eligible to play two seasons anywhere.

This is assuming he doesn't want to stay at SLU for whatever reason, of course. I was just thinking that after this many years and an MBA, he might be ready to finish up elsewhere.

This is also assuming a return to full health.

I can't remember another SLU player on the roster with so many potential question marks for such a long period of time. He's been an interesting case.

2 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Are the demands of a one-year MBA program feasibly compatible with the demands of playing major college basketball?

Yes. I believe we've had players in the past do it. He'd take three full semesters beginning this summer, and I think the fall semester is more loaded than the spring in terms of hours, but it would average out to a normal full-time course load. Because of his athletic demands, he might be able to work with them, too, and maybe take another class in the summer or something.

23 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Yes. I believe we've had players in the past do it. He'd take three full semesters beginning this summer, and I think the fall semester is more loaded than the spring in terms of hours, but it would average out to a normal full-time course load. Because of his athletic demands, he might be able to work with them, too, and maybe take another class in the summer or something.

Depending on the credits he brings in and the amount of prerequisites he's already knocked out, he could possibly finish his MBA in a year.  Given the fact that he's been in school awhile - including prep school - it's feasible that he's already taken a bunch of classes that would get waived in the MBA program, placing him much closer to a degree.

That's a different scenario than SLU's one-year MBA, however.  That program is fairly intensive, and it would be difficult to do it while playing basketball.  It even has an international component, in which the entire cohort goes to Hong Kong.  I believe that takes place during the winter break, so without some sort of waiver, it would be impossible for Welmer to do both.

Pistol likes this

Maybe that's the difference, then. We've had guys get their MBA while playing, but they've been able to spread it out over 4-5 years instead of doing it all in one year. Thanks for the clarification.