Minutes next year will be hard to earn

bauman

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

Plus, he was a year older than the rest of his class in high school before he took the prep year.  Welmer is already 23 years old.  If he gets another red shirt season, he will be 26 by the time he finishes up his college career.

You aren't the first one to bring this up but it confuses me.  Is his elevated age a good thing or a bad thing?  Athletes typically peak in their late 20's or early 30's.  Seems to me that it is 'a thing' and that's about all it is. 

14 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

You aren't the first one to bring this up but it confuses me.  Is his elevated age a good thing or a bad thing?  Athletes typically peak in their late 20's or early 30's.  Seems to me that it is 'a thing' and that's about all it is. 

Good thing for our case, terrible if he was actually good enough for a pro career. 

12 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Rational position to take.  Okay Coach, please go out and sign us a stretch 4 that hits 37% from the Arc, 51% inside the Arc, an adequate rebounder at maybe 5 boards per game, and protects the rim to the tune of 1+ block per game.  Shouldn't be a problem at all.

Or the other position...  Coach Ford, "Welmer get out there I need you to hit a couple threes, pop in a couple inside, grab five boards and get a block!"  Welmer, "Would love to coach but I hurt my foot sleeping last night, doc says I may be available for summer workouts, but won't know for sure until June.  Do you want to sign my cast?" 

I am not saying we part ways with Welmer, I am just saying we should have zero expectations and in my opinion, he is a significant health risk.  I am all-in on Coach Ford so if he thinks it is best to keep him, great.

32 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Rational position to take.  Okay Coach, please go out and sign us a stretch 4 that hits 37% from the Arc, 51% inside the Arc, an adequate rebounder at maybe 5 boards per game, and protects the rim to the tune of 1+ block per game.  Shouldn't be a problem at all.

NP. We already have added 4s who will shoot 51% plus inside the arc, be way more than "adequate" rebounders and will have 1+ block per game-they are named Gordon and Santos and coupled with French and Foreman they leave little to no time available for Welmer up front.  Oh, you want to put him at the three, first I don't think EW can guard other teams' #3s and second do you think he can take any serious number of minutes from Bess, Johnson and maybe Pearson?  I don't think so.

That leaves only your 37% from the arc concern.  I think between Goodwin's improved shooting, same with JB and JJ and then throw in FT, MP and DJ and I think we will have sufficient 3 pt shooters this year.  I agree with Roy and a few others that one thing that would be nice to add is a grad transf who can help at the #1.  That still leaves room for Welmer to occupy a scholarship again this coming year as he once again hobbles to the team huddles due to a break in a bone in one of his feet.  With the talent on this team, I can't envision Welmer playing any meaningful role (absent S3)

Welmer offers a lot of things that our other bigs can't do, but I think it would be crazy to count on him at this point due to his injury history. Anything he gives us next year is a huge bonus in my opinion. I want to see him play and play well but at this point, the deck is stacked against him.

17 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

Do not automatically assume that all those guys beat out Welmer.  He had a nice year the year he played.

he had a nice year.  yes.   better than i envisioned he would have.  was that year, more effective than french, and foreman last year?   is he likely to outplay with the potential of gordon?   imo no on all counts.   now add the glowing reports we have gotten on santos throughout this past season, i dont know.   while he did nothing to deserve being pushed down the chart, i am thinking there isnt much room beyond practice for welmer in his billiken future.  he might just be unlucky enough to be the billikens wally pipp.   i would love if by his play he proves us wrong, but honestly, i dont see it.   and wonder even if he just badly wants to play basketball if that dream gets much played going forward and might be better served elsewhere if i was him.  

that said, his loyalty to the billikens is amazing and there was enough show in his one year on the floor that if he wants to be a billiken and accepts his role then by god, welmer should be a billiken.   no one from slu should force that on him.   its welmer's decision and until he makes a move contrary we should welcome him to the equation.  

Zink likes this

2 hours ago, bauman said:

NP. We already have added 4s who will shoot 51% plus inside the arc, be way more than "adequate" rebounders and will have 1+ block per game-they are named Gordon and Santos and coupled with French and Foreman they leave little to no time available for Welmer up front.  Oh, you want to put him at the three, first I don't think EW can guard other teams' #3s and second do you think he can take any serious number of minutes from Bess, Johnson and maybe Pearson?  I don't think so.

That leaves only your 37% from the arc concern.  I think between Goodwin's improved shooting, same with JB and JJ and then throw in FT, MP and DJ and I think we will have sufficient 3 pt shooters this year.  I agree with Roy and a few others that one thing that would be nice to add is a grad transf who can help at the #1.  That still leaves room for Welmer to occupy a scholarship again this coming year as he once again hobbles to the team huddles due to a break in a bone in one of his feet.  With the talent on this team, I can't envision Welmer playing any meaningful role (absent S3)

Player #1, 6.2 PPG, 55% 2FG%, 0.0% 3FG%, 4.1 RPG, 0.8 BPG

Player #2, 6.9 PPG, 63% 2FG%, 0.0% 3FG%, 3.4 RPG, 0.3 BPG

Player #3, 7.9 PPG, 51% 2FG%, 37% 3FG%, 4.8 RPG, 1.0 BPG

3 hours ago, slufan13 said:

Welmer offers a lot of things that our other bigs can't do, but I think it would be crazy to count on him at this point due to his injury history. Anything he gives us next year is a huge bonus in my opinion. I want to see him play and play well but at this point, the deck is stacked against him.

Would not expect Welmer to play big minutes at all but that doesn't mean he lacks the ability to be a real contributor in a limited role IF healthy.  I think many are forgetting the strides he made in his last season. As a reminder, check out A10 Talk preseason preview of Elliott.

http://www.a10talk.com/saint-louis-basketball-full-2017-18-season-preview/

Glad Ford is the Coach ..... he and his Staff will decide based on real data like practice and exhibition games.  This board is just making wild speculations based on little but opinions.  I do not care who plays, just want the players out there that makes the team better.  

HoosierPal likes this

We have little to lose with Welmer. If he is healthy and we lose one or 2 of our bigs we will be glad we have him.  If he doesn't recover, we use the scholarship next year.  We really don't want to spend another scholarship this year. If he is healthy enough to be a role player, it never hurts to have a big who can hit free throws to protect a lead in the closing minutes of a close game.

2 minutes ago, Aquinas said:

We have little to lose with Welmer. If he is healthy and we lose one or 2 of our bigs we will be glad we have him.  If he doesn't recover, we use the scholarship next year.  We really don't want to spend another scholarship this year. If he is healthy enough to be a role player, it never hurts to have a big who can hit free throws to protect a lead in the closing minutes of a close game.

if ford wants him on the roster you are correct.   if he has no intention of more or less including him in the real playing rotation then you have to wonder if that scholarship can be used better elsewhere.  

that said, again, welmer has done nothing to deserve being forced out and if it isnt his decision to leave even if he doesnt play and wants to stay he should be allowed to do so.