Minutes next year will be hard to earn

bauman

A VERY early look (guess) at minutes next year shows a depth we have never had.

4/5  (80 total)  HF-25; CAG-20; LS-15; DF-20

3      (40)           JB-20;  JJ- 15; Others (FT, MP , IG- 5)

1/2  (80 total)  JG-30; DJ- 18; FT- 17; Others - (IG, MP) 15

7 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Bess led the teams in minutes, led in scoring average, led in win share, finished second in rebounds and second in assists.  He will play at least 30 mpg.

Hopefully some of which will be at the 2

13 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Bess led the teams in minutes, led in scoring average, led in win share, finished second in rebounds and second in assists.  He will play at least 30 mpg.

Bess is probably my favorite returning Bill, so maybe he should have 25 min and JJ and Others sharing 15, but this "problem"  just shows how strong we will be next year (and I'm not even including Welmer or another recruit (possible JUCO or Gr Trnf.)

It ain't hard being a Billiken fan!

21 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I agree, Bess and Goodwin will be around 30 each, Gordon and French will be around 25 each, I'd be surprised if Foreman averages 20, should be a fun year.

9 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

Have not goven up on Welmer.  He will get minutes ...... If healthy he is a plus for a team that needs players who can hit outside shots.  And he has size, a nice combination SLU lacks.  Ford clearly wamts him back.

Welmer is valuable in that he will make Hasahn and Foreman’s life a lot easier 

Billiken Rich likes this

7 minutes ago, JohnnyJumpUp said:

I agree, Bess and Goodwin will be around 30 each, Gordon and French will be around 25 each, I'd be surprised if Foreman averages 20, should be a fun year.

I wouldn’t have an issue with French and Gordon getting less than 25 mpg.  IMO, they are the most talented.  I just think French and Santos are good enough to keep the other two fresh and out of foul trouble.

When it comes to the 1-3 spot, Ford’s history says his top 3 will get the vast share of the minutes.  That said, I think it is best if no one approaches 36 mpg again.

21 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

Have not given up on Welmer.  He will get minutes ...... If healthy he is a plus for a team that needs players who can hit outside shots.  And he has size, a nice combination SLU lacks.  Ford clearly wamts him back.

you should give up

SLU_Nick and billikenfan05 like this

The Billikens can be more aggressive this coming year, plenty of extra bodies if anyone has foul trouble.

Wont even have any fall of in skill level!

1 hour ago, bauman said:

A VERY early look (guess) at minutes next year shows a depth we have never had.

4/5  (80 total)  HF-25; CAG-20; LS-15; DF-20

3      (40)           JB-20;  JJ- 15; Others (FT, MP , IG- 5)

1/2  (80 total)  JG-30; DJ- 18; FT- 17; Others - (IG, MP) 15

Guessing is free, and at this time of the off season, we are all correct in our guesses.

Welmer will get more than zero minutes.  He provides an outside shooting presence that no other of your 4/5 can provide.

I personally would combine 2/3 rather than 1/2.  As I said in another thread, Johnson and Bess get the heavy wing minutes. 

Freshmen will need to prove they deserve minutes in practice before they get them on the floor.  (That is unless Ford already promised Gordon a starting spot, no matter what he does in practice.)

At the end of the season, 8 to 10 players will average double digit minutes.  Some of the rest will get a number of DNP's. 

I have a sense that Welmer is going to be the hot debate this off season.  I just want to get my correct opinion in early:

No chance he averages more than 5 mpg.  And when bishop comes back in 2020, I will have the same position.

Crews recruits are FINALLY not going to have to play minutes for us anymore.  This should be celebrated on this board (not debated), but we have 7 months til my opinion can be proved correct.  

28 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Guessing is free, and at this time of the off season, we are all correct in our guesses.

Welmer will get more than zero minutes.  He provides an outside shooting presence that no other of your 4/5 can provide.

I personally would combine 2/3 rather than 1/2.  As I said in another thread, Johnson and Bess get the heavy wing minutes. 

Freshmen will need to prove they deserve minutes in practice before they get them on the floor.  (That is unless Ford already promised Gordon a starting spot, no matter what he does in practice.)

At the end of the season, 8 to 10 players will average double digit minutes.  Some of the rest will get a number of DNP's. 

I see all the #1s as able to play the #2 and all the #2s as able to play the #3 and some of the #3s as able to play the 2--- a good position to be in.  So if you want to combine 2s and 3s I would lump 1s, 2s and 3s.

1-3  (120 Minutes)  JG-30; JB- 30;  DJ - 17; JJ - 15;  FT -15;  IG/MP - the rest (13)

9 minutes ago, TFord and TRavs said:

Good freshmen? Yes. But besides Gordon I don’t think they are Goodwin and French good to play right away. We also don’t need bodies like last year so I expect a much more older lineup 

9 minutes ago, TFord and TRavs said:

Good freshmen? Yes. But besides Gordon I don’t think they are Goodwin and French good to play right away. We also don’t need bodies like last year so I expect a much more older lineup 

If no Welmer, then right now there are 6 non-freshmen.  So, if no grad transfer, then at least 3 frosh will see meaningful minutes.  Even with a grad transfer, that may still be the case as we need ball handlers ..... 

dennis_w likes this

18 hours ago, SLU_Nick said:

I have a sense that Welmer is going to be the hot debate this off season.  I just want to get my correct opinion in early:

No chance he averages more than 5 mpg.  And when bishop comes back in 2020, I will have the same position.

Crews recruits are FINALLY not going to have to play minutes for us anymore.  This should be celebrated on this board (not debated), but we have 7 months til my opinion can be proved correct.  

I understand the Crews frustration. Even the Welmer injury frustration, but he always played hard and has been a positive student and player for us. Don't understand the hate. Just my opinion. 

17 minutes ago, hmart23 said:

I understand the Crews frustration. Even the Welmer injury frustration, but he always played hard and has been a positive student and player for us. Don't understand the hate. Just my opinion. 

I think it is caused somewhat by having spent 3 scholarship years for one year of play and the fact that he was projected to return in Dec last year and never did.  With the year he spent in prep school he is, in effect,  a member of the senior class this year.  I think enough is enough and we will have enough shooters next year that we no longer need to wait and hope on Welmer's feet.

9 minutes ago, bauman said:

I think it is caused somewhat by having spent 3 scholarship years for one year of play and the fact that he was projected to return in Dec last year and never did.  With the year he spent in prep school he is, in effect,  a member of the senior class this year.  I think enough is enough and we will have enough shooters next year that we no longer need to wait and hope on Welmer's feet.

It appears Ford disagrees with your assessment.  All indications are that Ford is staying with Welmer.  I side with the coach .....

HoosierPal likes this

21 minutes ago, bauman said:

Plus, he was a year older than the rest of his class in high school before he took the prep year.  Welmer is already 23 years old.  If he gets another red shirt season, he will be 26 by the time he finishes up his college career.

1 minute ago, brianstl said:

Plus, he was a year older than the rest of his class in high school before he took the prep year.  Welmer is already 23 years old.  If he gets another red shirt season, he will be 26 by the time he finishes up his college career.

This.  I don't think anyone "hates" Welmer.  I like him.  But he has an awful lot of eligibility left, and there's no doubt in my mind that Ford could put his scholarship to good use.

47 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

This.  I don't think anyone "hates" Welmer.  I like him.  But he has an awful lot of eligibility left, and there's no doubt in my mind that Ford could put his scholarship to good use.

Can we pull a Femi John with Welmer?

2 hours ago, bauman said:

Rational position to take.  Okay Coach, please go out and sign us a stretch 4 that hits 37% from the Arc, 51% inside the Arc, an adequate rebounder at maybe 5 boards per game, and protects the rim to the tune of 1+ block per game.  Shouldn't be a problem at all.

Zink and dennis_w like this