Columbia Post Disgrace

bauman

Illinois gets a commitment from a stiff that might play conference season limited minutes coming back from an ACL injury. 

And somehow that gets a headline over the local school getting a commitment from a local kid who is ranked highly. 

A new level of incompetence. 

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

37 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

Illinois gets a commitment from a stiff that might play conference season limited minutes coming back from an ACL injury. 

And somehow that gets a headline over the local school getting a commitment from a local kid who is ranked highly. 

A new level of incompetence. 

A pitiful display of "journalism."  The paper truly is a disgrace, as is Stu!  That's the best Stu could write about the Hargrove commitment???  That Th was ranked in the 160s by one recruiting service?  How about a mention of him being a top 5 in the state of Illinois and a top 3 in the Metro area?  No, this Board must be the only people that have such "inside" information.

One explanation is that the Illinois 7' nobody, article is written by the Chic. Trib where maybe they have at least a few  competent sports writers.  Here we gots Stu and the recently departed Ortiz!!!

If it wasn't for Frank and the Fox 2, guys we wouldn't even know that SLU had a team.  I have taped Ch 4 since the Hargrove announcement and it has not even been mentioned by their "sports staff." I'm not sure their sports anchor would know how to get to SLU to do an interview with TF  .Even Rammer seems afraid to talk Billiken MBB for fear, I guess, that he will be labeled a homer.  And what's wrong with that?  D. Matter and Mike Kelly have no problem talking/writing constantly about SPUMAC basketball.  Silly me!  I thought that the P-D and KMOX were St. Louis business' whose primary sponsors were St Louis companies.  Same with our broadcast station, 101 ESPN.

Things will change this year, just watch them get on the bandwagon.  Gosh, the P-D might even be able to fit us into their next Porter family article.😁

Sorry for going from the P-D's "coverage" of the TH announcement to a media rant.  Getting back to the Illinois/TH article, I would take our recruiting class without even a second thought over the 8-person class that Underdog has put together.  Too bad they no longer "wanted Jacobs" much liked SPUMAC no longer wanted Hargrove---YA RIGHT!!!

MattyMo213 likes this

5 hours ago, Macallan 18 said:

Here it is.  Have to look deep at The Post sometimes.  We're buried under the Illinois 7 footer headline.

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/other/digest-illinois-basketball-team-adds--footer/article_ed4d95b0-ce0e-5137-82d6-7924b3822f0d.html

I have no words any more for the total lack of effort by Stu and the Post.

6 hours ago, Macallan 18 said:

Here it is.  Have to look deep at The Post sometimes.  We're buried under the Illinois 7 footer headline.

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/other/digest-illinois-basketball-team-adds--footer/article_ed4d95b0-ce0e-5137-82d6-7924b3822f0d.html

That's nuts.

I'm totally fine with Illinois getting an artlcle about this commitment. He seems like a nice addition to the roster, and even though it looked shaky for a while, this appears to have ended up as a really good class for Underwood.

However, burying a story local recruit committing to a local school under that story and giving it two sentences (!) is just wrong. Man. No respect.

34 minutes ago, Pistol said:

However, burying a story local recruit committing to a local school under that story and giving it two sentences (!) is just wrong. Man. No respect.

I 100% agree. But I think its much more insulting to Hargrove than SLU. If the Post-D wants to slight SLU, whatever. But they are slighting a local kid who is a really damn good player and decided to stay in his home area. His commitment anywhere should have had at least a full column. That is the biggest shame. 

HenryB likes this

25 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

I 100% agree. But I think its much more insulting to Hargrove than SLU. If the Post-D wants to slight SLU, whatever. But they are slighting a local kid who is a really damn good player and decided to stay in his home area. His commitment anywhere should have had at least a full column. That is the biggest shame. 

When he signs a letter of intent, he'll get a column, I'm sure.  But oral commitments are non-binding, so I don't know if a newspaper is going to want to devote a full column to that.

I'm not defending the Post's attitude towards SLU, just the thinking behind this announcement.  This Illinois commitment was an actual roster addition.  While I'm happy Hargrove has committed to SLU, it's not yet a roster addition.

25 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

When he signs a letter of intent, he'll get a column, I'm sure.  But oral commitments are non-binding, so I don't know if a newspaper is going to want to devote a full column to that.

I'm not defending the Post's attitude towards SLU, just the thinking behind this announcement.  This Illinois commitment was an actual roster addition.  While I'm happy Hargrove has committed to SLU, it's not yet a roster addition.

When Michael Porter's brother was thinking about reclassifying so he could possibly sign with Missouri there was a big article.  How is that different then when Hargrove made an oral commitment?  I can assure you that if he had made an oral commitment to IL or MO there would have been an article - probably included in a profile of how great Martin and Underwood are doing by sealing the borders or getting very good regional players to bolster their rosters.  Truth be told Stu it seems really can not be bothered with us or the Post simply doesn't care unless it is MO or IL.  If they have a problem with SLU not sharing info with them about S2 - I get that but they still have an obligation to the area to report the sports news.  Matter is the type of reporter that Stu should strive to be but I guess if you complacent and seem to get away with it then why not.  Sorry for the rant but I am tired of the excuses.

HenryB and AGB91 like this

59 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Except the Illini stiff is just an oral commitment as well. He’s not officially on the roster yet either. Semantics. 

so those of you ripping on Stu Durando, are all positive this is all on him.   there is no way that the sports editor is limiting his input?   i personally dont know, but apparently you all do?

10 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

so those of you ripping on Stu Durando, are all positive this is all on him.   there is no way that the sports editor is limiting his input?   i personally dont know, but apparently you all do?

The guy who can’t be bothered to give the Hargrove verbal an original tweet. Yeah I’m pretty sure Stu is happy to do the bare minimum.

NextYearBill likes this

so you have it on authority that the post has encouraged stu to write articles and tweet away about the billikens and stu has preferred to do nothing?   with the post looking to cut expenses and employees one would think he would be easy fodder if that was true.   

14 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

so you have it on authority that the post has encouraged stu to write articles and tweet away about the billikens and stu has preferred to do nothing?   with the post looking to cut expenses and employees one would think he would be easy fodder if that was true.   

Just like you....I'm not sure the reason.

But Stu has no connection to the school and gets paid either way so why put in the effort?

I'm leaning towards him being lazy. If he really cared and wanted to put in the effort you would see it on twitter and you would hear him on local radio.

Why is he NEVER on 101 or 590? Those stations know he doesn't have any info. 

We all might be wrong but I'd bet it's more likely the guy is lazy and knows he won't be fired. 

I think we should flood his email with questions about where he is and why he doesn't report anything!!

2 minutes ago, dlarry said:

But Stu has no connection to the school and gets paid either way so why put in the effort?

I'm leaning towards him being lazy. If he really cared and wanted to put in the effort you would see it on twitter and you would hear him on local radio.

We all might be wrong but I'd bet it's more likely the guy is lazy and knows he won't be fired. 

I think we should flood his email with questions about where he is and why he doesn't report anything!!

I could be wrong but doesn’t every beat writer in town do those chats on stl today? Have they ever mentioned the Billikens by name? Has Stu ever held one? 

6 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I could be wrong but doesn’t every beat writer in town do those chats on stl today? Have they ever mentioned the Billikens by name? Has Stu ever held one? 

Every best writer and every columnist except 1. 

Hmm I wonder which one doesn't do it?

10 hours ago, dlarry said:

why would the post which has been on a full fledged manpower reduction not choose him to be gone if he was lazy and not doing his job?   i dont know, but i believe he is doing exactly what his bosses are telling him to do.  

10 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

again, why doesnt the bosses insist on it?   if he refuses they would fire him.

Stu has always said he doesn't like following recruiting news.  I believe him.  At this point, the post saying anything at all about the Bills is great. I don't expect decent treatment or interest from the post so anything along those lines is pleasant.  Stu wont go out of his way to cover the Bills and I won't ever buy his paper. Done and done.

my view has always been it is the post that is the enemy of the billikens.   the department is made up of tiger alum and they couldnt care less about giving us any credit or coverage.   stu is not a billiken fan.   i asked him that directly years ago and he said he is doing his job and not a fan or the billikens.  but i believe the blame lies with his bosses that tell him what to cover and how much.  if you all want to b!tch go after the post dispatch.   things would not get better if stu was to disappear from the scene.   the next "chosen" beat reporter would be the same. 

AGB91 and rgbilliken like this

Just now, billiken_roy said:

my view has always been it is the post that is the enemy of the billikens.   the department is made up of tiger alum and they couldnt care less about giving us any credit or coverage.   stu is not a billiken fan.   i asked him that directly years ago and he said he is doing his job and not a fan or the billikens.  but i believe the blame lies with his bosses that tell him what to cover and how much.  if you all want to b!tch go after the post dispatch.   things would not get better if stu was to disappear from the scene.   the next "chosen" beat reporter would be the same. 

Valid point considering they enable Tiger bear to write nonstop recruiting news & Bills best to have little if any. That doesn’t happen in Indianapolis.

Stu's incompetence is a blend of both him and the Post Dispatch not caring. If Stu cared at all he could publish 2-3 times as much material without all that much more effort. Go down to Chaifetz and talk to the coaches, interview some players and speculate on recruits. It's not hard...at all. 

That being said, the reason he gets by doing the bare minimum is that his editors don't seem to care to push him at all. If he published 3 times the content they could easily post in on the website. There is literally no cost to doing so and it could only draw more clicks. But they don't push him at all and it can only be because of their perceived indifference of SLU fans (this is why I always click each Billiken article, even if I already read it...they count clicks) or because they think having Stu do more work will cost them dollars. I'm not sure why the latter would be the case but in times like this I miss Bonwich who could tell us all the other hats Stu works at the Post to fill up his 40 hours a week. Because to me it feels like he does about 2 hours of Billikens a week and 38 hours of nothing.

Duff Man, Spoon-Balls and dlarry like this

44 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

again, why doesnt the bosses insist on it?   if he refuses they would fire him.

Well could it be that the other writers fight over the available space and if Stu doesn't get into the fracas then it makes the editor's job easier - one less reporter to feign off.  Reporters make their bones by publishing and if they do not publish then they have a lower value - cheaper salary and someone who does not complain about only getting the scraps.  As long as Stu manages to stay invisible then he is just there - haven't you ever seen a fellow employee who does very little but has figured out how to be invisible and thus manages to keep his/her job - a real art.

Now I agree that the MO alums on the paper is problematic but put that along with Stu's indifference and you have a perfect storm for the Bills.  By the way they beat reporter we had before did more - I was unhappy with him but you never know what you miss until its gone. I disagree that if we had a beat writer that had some initiative and self motivation that things would not be better - not equal but better.

27 minutes ago, kshoe said:

Stu's incompetence is a blend of both him and the Post Dispatch not caring. If Stu cared at all he could publish 2-3 times as much material without all that much more effort. Go down to Chaifetz and talk to the coaches, interview some players and speculate on recruits. It's not hard...at all. 

That being said, the reason he gets by doing the bare minimum is that his editors don't seem to care to push him at all. If he published 3 times the content they could easily post in on the website. There is literally no cost to doing so and it could only draw more clicks. But they don't push him at all and it can only be because of their perceived indifference of SLU fans (this is why I always click each Billiken article, even if I already read it...they count clicks) or because they think having Stu do more work will cost them dollars. I'm not sure why the latter would be the case but in times like this I miss Bonwich who could tell us all the other hats Stu works at the Post to fill up his 40 hours a week. Because to me it feels like he does about 2 hours of Billikens a week and 38 hours of nothing.

You actually think Stu spends 2 hours a week on Billikens - I can't see it.  That blurb any of us could have written it 1 minute if that.