Columbia Post Disgrace

bauman

6 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

didnt mean winfield cost him the job, but julian was promised the pg and it hurt the team. agreed upchurch cost him dearly. grawer was getting local talent to stayhome and the years following the area was loaded, white, carrawell,woods etc

That reminds me. I had always heard the story about how White almost chose SLU, and Carrawell and Wood would have followed him if he did. I searched for the article about White's commitment and he said he almost picked up the SLU hat instead. Oh, what could have been! Can you imagine a lineup with Hughes, Carrawell, White and Woods in it?

https://www.questia.com/newspaper/1P2-32839440/it-s-jahidi-ho-ya-white-picks-georgetown 

dennis_w likes this

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

41 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Porter would have been a stud if he hadn't gotten hurt.  He wasn't going to take Mizzou to the final four and Mizzou would have still been in the same spot they are now having to build a new team.

Where it really backfired is with Jontay, who (as I understand it) many thought would be a four-year or at least a multiple-year player.

4 hours ago, Taj79 said:

As for fathers coaching kids in the payoff scheme --- what did Ed Manning ever add to Kansas?  Anybody know?  What did Lee Winfield add to Mizzou?  Milt Wagner to Memphis?  We all know that McDermott is still doing well at Creighton. And I am sure there are other instances.  Hiring Jackson Wheeler for his mud studs was another bad move on our part.   

What did Ed Manning ever add to Kansas? Is this a real question? How about his son and a National Championship. 

1 hour ago, SLURadioBoy said:

That reminds me. I had always heard the story about how White almost chose SLU, and Carrawell and Wood would have followed him if he did. I searched for the article about White's commitment and he said he almost picked up the SLU hat instead. Oh, what could have been! Can you imagine a lineup with Hughes, Carrawell, White and Woods in it?

https://www.questia.com/newspaper/1P2-32839440/it-s-jahidi-ho-ya-white-picks-georgetown 

(Blue font) This is why I do not like the hats lined up in front of our recruits when they make their selections I still have the Jahidi White choice burned in my memory.

6 hours ago, Taj79 said:

I never want a one-and-done player ----- saw it with Hughes, wanted nothing to do with Tatum.  And I know I am in the minority here, quite possibly the sole voice in the wilderness.  But what Hughes showed me is that as a program, we are ill-equipped to handle such an occurrence.  One-and-dones are for big time programs, not us small fry wanting to grow up and be big one day.  Let's get there first before we mortgage the future for one year of whatever. 

Scoff at Mizzou and Porter if you'd like but there, but for the grace of god, go we if Tatum came here.  Might have had a decent year.  Might have made the big dance.  Might have even persuaded a few others of his ilk to come and play here with him.  I doubt it because the only other guy on the hook that class was the dearly departed Zeke Moore.  As in we had no extra spots.  And then that would likely give [dead] a (shudder) extension.  Instead of Jalen Johnson, we get Tatum and Moore to go with the already assembled bag of misfits and no talents.  We make the dance; Tatum declares, this year [dead] struggles again, and maybe now we are looking for a replacement.  Now.  No Goodwin.  No French.  No Bess.  No Gordon.  No nothing.  Tatum going to Duke was the best thing to happen to us.  Yes, he's our hometown hero.  The reciprocal item folks tend to miss is how much better does the one-and-doner make the rest of your recruits?  Matt Baniak's best year was the one he spent with Hughes.  And it wasn't that great -- 8.7 ppg.  AND IT WENT DOWN FROM THERE.

Sustainability.  Been saying it for years.  Until we hit that plateau, the rest is all pie in the sky.

As for fathers coaching kids in the payoff scheme --- what did Ed Manning ever add to Kansas?  Anybody know?  What did Lee Winfield add to Mizzou?  Milt Wagner to Memphis?  We all know that McDermott is still doing well at Creighton. And I am sure there are other instances.  Hiring Jackson Wheeler for his mud studs was another bad move on our part.   

-I agree that Jayson not coming to SLU was the best thing for SLU, but if a future one and doner wants to come to SLU, I'm for it

1 hour ago, slufanskip said:

What did Ed Manning ever add to Kansas? Is this a real question? How about his son and a National Championship. 

-this

slufanskip likes this

2 hours ago, CBFan said:

(Blue font) This is why I do not like the hats lined up in front of our recruits when they make their selections I still have the Jahidi White choice burned in my memory.

Was not Manning playing when players had to stay all 4 years?  If so, KU got a much better deal then the pig in the poke Martin bought.

40 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Was not Manning playing when players had to stay all 4 years?  If so, KU got a much better deal then the pig in the poke Martin bought.

Players have never HAD to stay all 4 years.

So Danny Manning delivered.  But short of Danny, what did truckdriver Ed do?  I admit, I don't know of anything else so I'm open.  Did Ed even last past Danny's senior year?  No, he went to San Antonio with Brown and Brown was fired there late in the 1992-93 season.

2 hours ago, cheeseman said:

I think you meant to quote Taj but I agree with your point. Manning played 4 years and was a delight to watch especially the national championship run they made in the NCAA tournament.  Manning dominated the tournament and his team rode on his back all the way to the Championship.

KU got a great deal with player and coach.

slufanskip and almaman like this

• 1 month later...
Just now, kshoe said:

Good article.

Its so ridiculous that Stu can't be bothered to put a little blurb in the Post about it. 

Agreed - Matter would have had a short blurb the first day and then a follow up article on page 2 or 3.  Stu is MIA as usual.

Stu isn’t really a true “fanatic” of SLU basketball like Matter is for Mizzou. I know everyone says that beat writers aren’t supposed to be cheerleaders, but let’s just be honest and accept that it’s way better for publicity’s sake and clicks when they are. Stu just does what he needs to to get his weekly paychecks.

Just now, Spoon-Balls said:

Stu isn’t really a true “fanatic” of SLU basketball like Matter is for Mizzou. I know everyone says that beat writers aren’t supposed to be cheerleaders, but let’s just be honest and accept that it’s way better for publicity’s sake and clicks when they are. Stu just does what he needs to to get his weekly paychecks.

His twitter bio even says "Saint Louis University/ College Sports". Doesn't want to handcuff himself to the lowley bills. He's such a joke. Really wish they would pay a young fan who wants to get into the sports journalism industry to do his job and actually bring some energy to the PD. 

Spoon-Balls likes this

37 minutes ago, Spoon-Balls said:

Dude has a sweet gig. 

He works 6 months out of the year and when he is working he only writes a game preview and a game recap. Maybe 4 articles a week...tops!

Then in the off season he follows actual reporter's Twitter accounts and throws out a few retweets. 

He's probably bringing home a nice check too.

Where do I sign up?

4 hours ago, cheeseman said:

Why would the editors not let him post a short blurb in the paper?  They are always looking for fillers in their shorts section.

-there's the school of thought that there is an anti-SLU bias in the halls of the Post and this is good news for SLU

6 hours ago, Cowboy said:

-there's the school of thought that there is an anti-SLU bias in the halls of the Post and this is good news for SLU

I know that - I could see them not wanting a big article but blocking a a short blurb makes no sense.  I doubt that the "anti SLU bias - idea is the reason for no blurb.  I am going with the "day late and dollar short" Stu.  For goodness sake - he retweeted something in Spanish about AH and of course yesterday we got his self serving look how many followers and retweets I got this week tweet.  This is the kind of crap we get from him and it has nothing to do with perceived  anti bias at the Post.

VeniceMenace likes this