Columbia Post Disgrace

bauman

Most of the games I have attended have been mid-week (Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday.  Those are always less popular days, but man it feels like there are a lot more open seats than normal.

The Billikens have certainly had a lot of unused seats the past few years.....hopefully that will be changing.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, SLU_Lax said:

Most of the games I have attended have been mid-week (Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday.  Those are always less popular days, but man it feels like there are a lot more open seats than normal.

The Billikens have certainly had a lot of unused seats the past few years.....hopefully that will be changing.

I have been a Cardinal season ticket holder for 36 years and yes there are more open seats than anytime in recent memory. Certainly more in the new stadium. 

10 minutes ago, willie said:

I have been a Cardinal season ticket holder for 36 years and yes there are more open seats than anytime in recent memory. Certainly more in the new stadium. 

but even if they only have 40,000 in real attendance, they sold 46,000, i.e. pretty much a sell out.    the billikens have sales on good days of 7,000 out of 11,000 possible seats  and only 3-4,000 in attendance.   do the ratio math.   which one still has the most blind faith loyal fans that the post is justified into feeding?  the billikens need to win and truly have some sellouts before we can cry about cardinal bias at the paper imo.   

23 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

but even if they only have 40,000 in real attendance, they sold 46,000, i.e. pretty much a sell out.    the billikens have sales on good days of 7,000 out of 11,000 possible seats  and only 3-4,000 in attendance.   do the ratio math.   which one still has the most blind faith loyal fans that the post is justified into feeding?  the billikens need to win and truly have some sellouts before we can cry about cardinal bias at the paper imo.   

Agree Roy and this is the season to get this done as long as the team stays whole no injuries, academics, or S3.  As the team stands it should generate more seats used.

I just purchased two additional season tickets to give to friends and family so I will fill two more seats with loud fans.

I think the Butler game will easily sell out but there will be a lot of Butler fans.

2 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

Definitely agree. I was trying to just make the stand alone observation that things are trending the wrong way for the Cardinals and expressing hope that things will trend the right way for the Bills. I didn’t mean to imply any other comparison between the two. 

4 hours ago, SLU_Lax said:

There have been a lot more open seats than in years past but it's still a lot more than 95% of MLB. 

Hell the Gateway Grizzlies just had a game with more fans than the last Marlins and Tampa games....thats crazy.

Once they start winning the fans will jump on the bandwagon. Wants the fans jump on the media will jump on.

The amount of people that actually show up at a Cardinals is always boosted by the number of people around the Midwest that plan a family vacation around attending Cardinals games.  It isn’t necessarily blind loyalty.  It is not wanting to cancel the family vacation.

On 7/4/2018 at 11:26 AM, SLU_Lax said:

Did that moron ever unveil his next move?  I thought he said something to the effect that he was already leaving and had a new job anyway. 

He’s still at the Post. His job was saved for now until he moves back to Houston. He is absolutely terrible.

The Post is garbage. It’s a tough situation. Buy a subscription to a bad publication, hoping that more subscribers will make it better, or just watch a bad publication sink — as it deserves? I think STL needs a strong daily but the Post is just inept.

SLU_Lax and Brighton like this

34 minutes ago, brianstl said:

The amount of people that actually show up at a Cardinals is always boosted by the number of people around the Midwest that plan a family vacation around attending Cardinals games.  It isn’t necessarily blind loyalty.  It is not wanting to cancel the family vacation.

Sports attendance is down everywhere. Sure there are a few exceptions,but things like hd tv and $9 beers have said stay home. It amazes me when I see people at games spending $100’s of dollars on concessions. Young people who live on their phones. It is a shrinking market. As fewer of us boomers go to games I am not sure who replaces us. 

brianstl likes this

1 hour ago, RiseAndGrind said:

He’s still at the Post. His job was saved for now until he moves back to Houston. He is absolutely terrible.

The Post is garbage. It’s a tough situation. Buy a subscription to a bad publication, hoping that more subscribers will make it better, or just watch a bad publication sink — as it deserves? I think STL needs a strong daily but the Post is just inept.

Post did lay off Chris Lee, the photographer who was responsible for the iconic overhead shot of Rob Loe hitting the game winning 3 against GMU.

50 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Post did lay off Chris Lee, the photographer who was responsible for the iconic overhead shot of Rob Loe hitting the game winning 3 against GMU.

Chris Lee is 1000x more talented than Ortiz (or Carson) . That is a shame. 

On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 5:42 PM, aj_arete said:

Talk to Derrick Goold, who's the Cardinals beat writer and he says he's not a fan either.  However, they devote blogs and articles because there are more clicks.  SLU is a better program than DePaul, but still both are similar.  I would guess that there are more articles on the Illini than DePaul.  That's because they have had more historical success.  Now if SLU can get into the postseason a couple of times, then I think you'll see more articles.  Maybe one day they can be like Gonzaga, who I would imagine gets more press than the University of Washington in Seattle, but that's just a guess.

Derrick is not a fan of the Billikens or the Cardinals?

1 hour ago, Old guy said:

Nope, it just shows that talent and capability are not considered when layoffs are selected. 

Two different jobs - one is a photo journalist and the other is a writer.  Since I don't know how the Post decides who to keep and who to let go I won't venture and uninformed guess.

10 hours ago, willie said:

Sports attendance is down everywhere. Sure there are a few exceptions,but things like hd tv and $9 beers have said stay home. It amazes me when I see people at games spending $100’s of dollars on concessions. Young people who live on their phones. It is a shrinking market. As fewer of us boomers go to games I am not sure who replaces us. 

I go to only a couple of baseball games a year now.  Before I got married, I would go to 30-40 a year.  That was almost a decade ago.  I really have no desire to go to more than the couple I go to a year now.  

That may change if my son starts showing more interest in going to more, but he seems content with the couple we go to a year.  That is fine with me.  

The Cardinals pre new Busch used to be so much cheaper than other pro sport options or going to a bigger concert.  That isn’t the case anymore and the product has been dull for years now.

TheChosenOne likes this

10 minutes ago, Brighton said:

Matheny is the Jim Crews of Clark Avenue. 

Difference is the SLU admin got rid of Dead before the program got worse.

I never thought Matheny was a good manager.  The Cardinals blew it by having him run their team while their championship window closed.

i always thought Matheny was a pretty decent person. Sure he went broke and left people unpaid, but I thought at his core he really tried to live as he preached.  After the story Bernie told yesterday, he is a sh!te human being in addition to being a sh!te manager.  F that dead beat, arrogant, judgemental great christian man.

Brighton likes this

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

I go to only a couple of baseball games a year now.  Before I got married, I would go to 30-40 a year.  That was almost a decade ago.  I really have no desire to go to more than the couple I go to a year now.  

That may change if my son starts showing more interest in going to more, but he seems content with the couple we go to a year.  That is fine with me.  

The Cardinals pre new Busch used to be so much cheaper than other pro sport options or going to a bigger concert.  That isn’t the case anymore and the product has been dull for years now.

As someone who occasionally sells tickets on stubhub you can get some cheap tickets. If you stay away from the cubs and bobble heads prices are way down ,which goes back to the point that demand is down. 

the above all said, i really think the billiken game at busch stadium coming up is a fantastic billiken jersey.   you all should go and help paint the stadium that night billiken blue!!

https://www.mlb.com/cardinals/tickets/specials/theme-tickets#billikens 

that jersey very well may be my shirt wear of choice for the upcoming season.   

TheChosenOne likes this

42 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I never thought Matheny was a good manager.  The Cardinals blew it by having him run their team while their championship window closed.

i always thought Matheny was a pretty decent person. Sure he went broke and left people unpaid, but I thought at his core he really tried to live as he preached.  After the story Bernie told yesterday, he is a sh!te human being in addition to being a sh!te manager.  F that dead beat, arrogant, judgemental great christian man.

I think Matheny’s teams play is as dull as Matheny’s personality.  I just don’t follow the Cardinals since Tony retired like I used to.  Matheny has no passion and does not seem to be able to motivate players.

I think our Billikens will get a lot of exposure from the post dispatch this coming season and I think this team will upset on the road either Seton Hall or Florida State or maybe both win the A10 and sail into the big dance and that will get plenty of attention.

I don’t care if the post ignores us though because I get all of the stories and information I need from the great posters on this site.

Brighton likes this

10 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

the above all said, i really think the billiken game at busch stadium coming up is a fantastic billiken jersey.   you all should go and help paint the stadium that night billiken blue!!

https://www.mlb.com/cardinals/tickets/specials/theme-tickets#billikens 

that jersey very well may be my shirt wear of choice for the upcoming season.   

Great idea Roy I can always use another Billikens shirt.