Columbia Post Disgrace

bauman

Bernie, again maybe i do not know of some other incident, was in the car after some game or event in lot I think but maybe street but he was not out driving, he was in a drunken stupor and had started car. that's the legal threshold for getting DWI.Never a fan, I'd listen to Slaten before tuning in BM. 

I'm old maybe I'm misremembering this.

TL to MM = RM to JC

AGB91 likes this

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bernie only sucked up to Rick because they both never met a food they didn't love, and Rick was a well known national figure who was adored by big market media types. The latter being more important to Bernie than the former.

18 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

.  The things Bernie says about Matheny are true 

So...you agree with Bernie that using the word "kid" is disparaging and insulting to Martinez? You really think that comment deserved a multi week tirade from Bernie attacking Mike? You agree with Bernie that MIke is more interested in protecting his Bible Buddies than the team winning?  Really??  You must not listen to Bernie much.  He berates Matheny day after day with insults and mocking of his faith and character....and has done so for years.  I have no problem with him being critical of Matheny as a manager if that is the way he sees it.  The personal attacks, however, are deplorable.  Any way, I have had my say on Bernie.  I will be eagerly awaiting his next positive column about something we all enjoy...Billikens basketball!  Oh...I forgot... even though his station carries our games he has no interest in us.

1 hour ago, almaman said:

Bernie, again maybe i do not know of some other incident, was in the car after some game or event in lot I think but maybe street but he was not out driving, he was in a drunken stupor and had started car. that's the legal threshold for getting DWI.Never a fan, I'd listen to Slaten before tuning in BM. 

I'm old maybe I'm misremembering this.

TL to MM = RM to JC

Bernie’s dui was probably 25 years ago. I know he gave up alcohol for a long time. Not sure that’s still true. I’m not sure what your statement that you would listen to Slaten says about you. Slaten is a joke and has a far greater checkered past. Slaten is a psycho.

SShoe likes this

On 7/7/2018 at 5:00 PM, BIG BILL FAN said:

Bernie is full of hate, and not the least bit objective. I quit listening to him a year ago, his show is nothing but a 24/7 Matheny hate fest. He obviously has a vendetta against him and is incapable of being objective. Henry is right, the lineup is crap. I’m ambivalent about Mike as a manager. I think their importance is highly overrated anyway. The great Herzog didn’t do well when the talent was poor either. Bernie comes off as a bitter old man, who by the ways has no interest in our Billikens.

I think this pretty well sums up my feelings as well.  Bernie ranks right there with Slaten, in my opinion, as people I will never listen to again.  Why waste my time on hate disguised as sports journalism.  As stated in another post, the observation about Bernie and Majerus being buddies, related to food and the fact that Majerus was a national icon.  It had nothing to do with local sports.

Not defending the post dispatch but I appreciate Stu's tweet that Jacobs is on campus and participating in team workouts.

bauman likes this

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting yet predictable response from Dave Matter on SLU v Mizzou in his chat.

It's July and things are slow, so just for fun ... if Cuonzo's Tigers played the revitalized SLU roster this coming season, who would you take and why?
by Ghost of Sparky Stalcup 11:50 AM yesterday

Great question. I'd give MU the edge for now because I think Jontay is at another level of anyone else on the floor. But it would be competitive.
by dmatter 12:04 PM yesterday

And here is a rather shocking response to a question on Mike Porter JR.

There's a reason he slipped to 14 ... and maybe the Nuggets will have buyer's remorse. I hope for his sake he gets healthy and has a good career, but I'm not sure I would have risked a draft pick on him.
by dmatter 12:05 PM yesterday

5 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Interesting yet predictable response from Dave Matter on SLU v Mizzou in his chat.

It's July and things are slow, so just for fun ... if Cuonzo's Tigers played the revitalized SLU roster this coming season, who would you take and why?

Great question. I'd give MU the edge for now because I think Jontay is at another level of anyone else on the floor. But it would be competitive.

There's a reason he slipped to 14 ... and maybe the Nuggets will have buyer's remorse. I hope for his sake he gets healthy and has a good career, but I'm not sure I would have risked a draft pick on him.

If you are talking about a neutral site he may be right at least now lets see how the team jells.  If you are talking about a home game here then I think he is underestimating us.  Of course at Columbia they edge definitely goes to MU

2 hours ago, cheeseman said:

If you are talking about a neutral site he may be right at least now lets see how the team jells.  If you are talking about a home game here then I think he is underestimating us.  Of course at Columbia they edge definitely goes to MU

Mizzou would be one of the few teams that could match up pretty well with us when it comes to bigs.  The same can't be said of their guards.  They are going to have some real problems when it comes to finding someone to run that offense.  SLU would have to be the clear favorite in that game.

HenryB and TheOne like this

I had heard a rumor that Jontay Porter had the lowest measured vertical at the draft prospect workouts and among the lowest scores in other key measures. If true, I guess it means he is extraordinarily skilled in order to be as effective as he is. 

3 minutes ago, davidnark said:

I had heard a rumor that Jontay Porter had the lowest measured vertical at the draft prospect workouts and among the lowest scores in other key measures. If true, I guess it means he is extraordinarily skilled in order to be as effective as he is. 

He is very very skilled. 

SLU would still beat them. 

9 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

-Matter would get run out of CoMo if he said anything more positive about us so I will chalk this up to his survivor instincts

HoosierPal likes this

46 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Mizzou would be one of the few teams that could match up pretty well with us when it comes to bigs.  The same can't be said of their guards.  They are going to have some real problems when it comes to finding someone to run that offense.  SLU would have to be the clear favorite in that game.

I think Tillmon would foul out in about 5 minutes against our collection of bigs. Also, I don't really know their whole roster, but doubt they have anybody who could match up with Bess.

38 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

Jontay meet Mr. Gordon and Mr. French.  We'll see what "another level" means. 

J. Porter might have some NBA-translatable   skills, BUT French would chew him up and spit him out in a college match-up!  I'll take physically imposing over soft any day of the week.

For the sake of argument, let's say Porter and Tillman cancel out CAG and HF.  Who does SPUMAC have to compete against Santos and Foreman?  (Is that silence I hear?)

Who can match Bess?  (More silence)

Backcourt starters?  Goodwin and Isabell over whatever two CM picks.  And our backup guards (DW, FT and DJ)-who matches up with them from the P-D's favorite team?  (Aah, I love the silence!)

HenryB likes this

4 minutes ago, bauman said:

J. Porter might have some NBA-translatable   skills, BUT French would chew him up and spit him out in a college match-up!  I'll take physically imposing over soft any day of the week.

For the sake of argument, let's say Porter and Tillman cancel out CAG and HF.  Who does SPUMAC have to compete against Santos and Foreman?  (Is that silence I hear?)

Backcourt starters?  Goodwin and Isabell over whatever two CM picks.  And our backup guards (DW, FT and DJ)-who matches up with them from the P-D's favorite team?  (Aah, I love the silence!)

Sweet 16 matchup of the century.....if MU makes the dance, much less the Sweet 16......  

26 minutes ago, bauman said:

have you seen j porter play?   i do not consider him soft.   i do not think french would "chew him up and spit him out".   i do think french is likely the better player, but it isnt the mismatch you are visualizing imo.    

imo the difference in a mi$$ouri and the billikens matchup is goodwin, isabella and bess.   mi$$ouri doesnt match up there skillwise imo.   we win regardless of where this game is played.  

SShoe likes this

50 minutes ago, bauman said:

Porter took about half of his shots last season from the arc and hit 36%.  In this theoretical game, I'm not sure who Ford would put on him.  I don't think he would want French that far from the rim.  Fun to talk about though.

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

have you seen j porter play?   i do not consider him soft.   i do not think french would "chew him up and spit him out".   i do think french is likely the better player, but it isnt the mismatch you are visualizing imo.    

imo the difference in a mi$$ouri and the billikens matchup is goodwin, isabella and bess.   mi$$ouri doesnt match up there skillwise imo.   we win regardless of where this game is played.  

Roy, has the word, "hyperbole" made its way to B'ville?  I was just trying to have some fun with the "chew him up" comment. 😉

BTW (Not Billiken player initials) I do agree with you, we would win where ever the game was played assuming the 3-Blind Men did not impose themselves into the outcome.

While I agree that we are better at the #1,2,3 grouping, I also think that our depth at #4 and 5 would become a significant part of the win.  Tillmon would clearly foul out against our starting 4/5s and SPUMAC would have no answer for our depth  of Bigs.

Added:  Porter would become soft, banging into French, Gordon and Santos before the final buzzer.

Edited by bauman
added info

45 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Porter took about half of his shots last season from the arc and hit 36%.  In this theoretical game, I'm not sure who Ford would put on him.  I don't think he would want French that far from the rim.  Fun to talk about though.

Foreman and Gordon.  Foreman did really well defending on the perimeter and Gordon was excellent at it high school.

Realistic dream scenario would be to meet Mizzery in the elite 8 and knock them out of a final 4 spot. Wouldn't get a whole lot sweeter than that unless it was the championship game. By the way does SLU have any octogenarian nuns that regularly go to our games? If not, Travis should recruit one.