Columbia Post Disgrace

bauman

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

I never thought Matheny was a good manager.  The Cardinals blew it by having him run their team while their championship window closed.

i always thought Matheny was a pretty decent person. Sure he went broke and left people unpaid, but I thought at his core he really tried to live as he preached.  After the story Bernie told yesterday, he is a sh!te human being in addition to being a sh!te manager.  F that dead beat, arrogant, judgemental great christian man.

They should've hired Francona..and yes, that story was the last straw for me. I will never look at his playing career there in the same way again.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, CBFan said:

I think Matheny’s teams play is as dull as Matheny’s personality.  I just don’t follow the Cardinals since Tony retired like I used to.  Matheny has no passion and does not seem to be able to motivate players.

I think our Billikens will get a lot of exposure from the post dispatch this coming season and I think this team will upset on the road either Seton Hall or Florida State or maybe both win the A10 and sail into the big dance and that will get plenty of attention.

I don’t care if the post ignores us though because I get all of the stories and information I need from the great posters on this site.

I don't think SH will be an upset-they have lost a lot of talent since last year.

1 hour ago, slufan13 said:

What's the Matheny story?

One of the bombs Bernie dropped was that Matheny said a reporter was a “bad father.” 

And then said reporter called him out on being on the road all the time and Matheny responded with “well my job is actually important .”

I take it back, this guy makes Jim Crews look like Ed Hickey.

22 hours ago, brianstl said:

I never thought Matheny was a good manager.  The Cardinals blew it by having him run their team while their championship window closed.

i always thought Matheny was a pretty decent person. Sure he went broke and left people unpaid, but I thought at his core he really tried to live as he preached.  After the story Bernie told yesterday, he is a sh!te human being in addition to being a sh!te manager.  F that dead beat, arrogant, judgemental great christian man.

Think what you like about Matheny as a manager but if you base your opinion of him based on Miklasz you are being completely misled.  Bernie has hated Matheny for years..and yes I mean hated. He has been obsessed with attacking Mike.  He has repeatedly attacked and mocked Matheny's faith. He continually implies that Matheny is a bigot and uses the most pathetic incidents to support that claim.  For example,  he claims Matheny treats Martinez as a child because he used the word "kid". Bernie insinuates that Mike is more interested in his Bible "buddies" than he is in winning games.  And talk about character, try emailing Bernie with the slightest criticism and he will take your head off.  He's been one of the worst offenders of ignoring SLU.  He sucked up to Rick but has ignored us since.  And the last time I checked, Mike never put lives in jeopardy by driving drunk.  Bernie can't say that.  Don't like Matheny as manager...fine.  Base that on what Bernie says is naive.   Bernie is a scumbag.

12 minutes ago, Brighton said:

One of the bombs Bernie dropped was that Matheny said a reporter was a “bad father.” 

And then said reporter called him out on being on the road all the time and Matheny responded with “well my job is actually important .”

I take it back, this guy makes Jim Crews look like Ed Hickey.

Wow where is this posted?

I will not try to pretend that I liked the Matheny  hire. From the beginning I thought it was not the right way to go.  He has unfortunately lived up to my expectations.  This man is anything but a "leader of men".  Bernie gave Matheny a fair chance but at some point it is his job to tell what is happening.  When I heard 3-4 years ago that Matheny has Mabry come in each day with a report on who was critical of Matheny in the paper or on the radio then I knew he was not true man.  This only shows just how small of a man he is.  DeWitt better wake up and realize what is happening before he finds his team like it was when he bought it.

I like Matheny but I have no problem with someone wanting a new manager.  Most managers are successful when they have good players and not successful when they have less talent.  For the record Matheny has a career record of 589 - 470.  Been in the playoffs 4 times and gone to the last week of the season before being eliminated the past 2 seasons.  Bruce Bochy, who is a sure fire hall of fame manager has had 12 losing seasons compared to zero for Matheny.   Was Bochy a bum in the losing seasons?  Not hardly, he had lousy players.  The Cardinals lineup this year is not good.  Molina is the only Cardinal who would arguable start for the Cubs.   I respectfully disagree that Bernie has given Mike a fair chance.  The mocking of Mike's faith and disparaging comments about his character have gone on for years.  Bernie continually accuses Mike of giving preferential treatment to his Christian buddies at the expense of winning ball games.  That is complete crap.   Bernie continually distorts the truth and tries to create a narrative that Matheny is a bigot.  As referenced before, Bernie carried on a tirade for weeks insinuating that Matheny was a bigot for using the word "kid" when discussing Martinez .  Go down to item 3 on this link to see the extent Miklasz will go to convince the reader Matheny maligned Martinez's character by using the word kid.  He wants the reader to believe that the innocent use of the word kid represents a personal dig.  I sent Bernie quotes of a dozen coaches and managers who used the word kid.  I also posted examples of writers on his staff who used the word kid.  I showed him an example of him using the word kid in a column.  I asked if all those people, including himself were bigots?  Of course, he had no response except more insults.  Crap like that is only written when the writer has an agenda.

https://www.101sports.com/2018/02/16/mike-matheny-look-mirror-taking-digs-carlos-martinez/

MB73 likes this

2 hours ago, cheeseman said:

I will not try to pretend that I liked the Matheny  hire. From the beginning I thought it was not the right way to go.  He has unfortunately lived up to my expectations.  This man is anything but a "leader of men".  Bernie gave Matheny a fair chance but at some point it is his job to tell what is happening.  When I heard 3-4 years ago that Matheny has Mabry come in each day with a report on who was critical of Matheny in the paper or on the radio then I knew he was not true man.  This only shows just how small of a man he is.  DeWitt better wake up and realize what is happening before he finds his team like it was when he bought it.

Bernie is full of hate, and not the least bit objective. I quit listening to him a year ago, his show is nothing but a 24/7 Matheny hate fest. He obviously has a vendetta against him and is incapable of being objective. Henry is right, the lineup is crap. I’m ambivalent about Mike as a manager. I think their importance is highly overrated anyway. The great Herzog didn’t do well when the talent was poor either. Bernie comes off as a bitter old man, who by the ways has no interest in our Billikens.

2 hours ago, dennis_w said:

I rarely drive to st. louis,but the last two times i did i listened to bernie rip matheny incessantly. does he do this every day?

He has nothing else to talk about.  After all these years Bernie still doesn’t know squat about hockey.  There is no need or really demand to talk about  basketball, soccer, or the NFL during the early summer in STL.

Bernie thrives on needless anger and being angry at the Cardinals is all he has to offer these days.

kshoe likes this

The Cardinals should have promoted Oquendo after Tony.  Simple as that.

For all his deficiencies, and he certainly has some, it is not Matheny’s fault this team has some bad contracts and has been without legit corner infielders for years.

5 hours ago, HenryB said:

Think what you like about Matheny as a manager but if you base your opinion of him based on Miklasz you are being completely misled.  Bernie has hated Matheny for years..and yes I mean hated. He has been obsessed with attacking Mike.  He has repeatedly attacked and mocked Matheny's faith. He continually implies that Matheny is a bigot and uses the most pathetic incidents to support that claim.  For example,  he claims Matheny treats Martinez as a child because he used the word "kid". Bernie claims that Mike is more interested in his Bible "buddies" than he is in winning games.  And talk about character, try emailing Bernie with the slightest criticism and he will take your head off.  He's been one of the worst offenders of ignoring SLU.  He sucked up to Rick but has ignored us since.  And the last time I checked, Mike never put lives in jeopardy by driving drunk.  Bernie can't say that.  Don't like Matheny as manager...fine.  Base that on what Bernie says is naive.   Bernie is a scumbag.

agree Bernie a bum but unless I missed something he got a DWI for being behind the motor with engine running was not driving, hairsplitting in deed but......

35 minutes ago, almaman said:

agree Bernie a bum but unless I missed something he got a DWI for being behind the motor with engine running was not driving, hairsplitting in deed but......

That was Larussa at spring training. Stopped at a stop light, car in gear but foot on brake. He was either passed out or asleep. 

Bernie admits to his DUI - it was years ago and he says he was wrong and will never make that mistake again.  Anybody can make a mistake.   Bernie does know hockey now whether you agree with his opinion or not is another thing.  He was an original season tix holder for the Caps.  The things Bernie says about Matheny are true and just because Matheny seems to want to keep making the same mistakes year after year then that is on him - there is a reason they keep changing the coaching staff except for Mabry (Matheny's BBF) - they keep trying to find a combo that will make him be successful despite himself.  As far as the contract stuff goes - Mo does shoulder some responsibility - it was Matheny that insisted on signing Holland, glad it is only for a year - the problem is are the players bad or does Matheny not know how to handle people - that is the question.  Hard to believe all the contracts are bad signings in my opinion.