Columbia Post Disgrace

bauman

SLU needs a SID(sports information director) who sends out news releases a couple of times a week.

The news papers will print good stuff if they don't have to pay for it.

Send it to all the area papers not just the PD.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Stu has other duties at the Post now outside the sports section.  He recently had a story published that was a deep dive into the treatment of gun shot wounds at Children’s Hospital.  That was a piece that had to take major time to work on.

The scary part for people that like local new stories and sports is that the story wouldn’t have been done without an Enterprise Grant to cover the cost.  So we have a onetime grant helping subsidize the cost of the person who covers the Billikens and being the only reason an important non sports story was done. That tells me the Post and the state of print journalism is the reason we get the coverage we get.  It, also, tells me that the Billiken beat is probably the next thing on the chopping block when Lee Enterprises makes cuts again.

P.S. That story had to be the item that Billikens.com HOF member and much missed Joe Bonwich would bring up when referring to time Stu had to devote away from his Billiken coverage.

1 hour ago, cheeseman said:

Well could it be that the other writers fight over the available space and if Stu doesn't get into the fracas then it makes the editor's job easier - one less reporter to feign off.  Reporters make their bones by publishing and if they do not publish then they have a lower value - cheaper salary and someone who does not complain about only getting the scraps.  As long as Stu manages to stay invisible then he is just there - haven't you ever seen a fellow employee who does very little but has figured out how to be invisible and thus manages to keep his/her job - a real art.

Now I agree that the MO alums on the paper is problematic but put that along with Stu's indifference and you have a perfect storm for the Bills.  By the way they beat reporter we had before did more - I was unhappy with him but you never know what you miss until its gone. I disagree that if we had a beat writer that had some initiative and self motivation that things would not be better - not equal but better.

One more point to be considered cheeseman. The  more invisible Stu is and the less problems he gives his bosses, the more permanent his job becomes. Bosses fire, first of all, those employees that are or become problems for the bosses. The ones that cause no problems remain in place. 

3 minutes ago, Old guy said:

One more point to be considered cheeseman. The  more invisible Stu is and the less problems he gives his bosses, the more permanent his job becomes. Bosses fire, first of all, those employees that are or become problems for the bosses. The ones that cause no problems remain in place. 

The Post layoffs writers by seniority. It is a union shop.

I don't think the level of coverage by the P-D matters at all in today's world. How many people under 40 have ever subscribed to or even purchased a hard copy of a newspaper? In fact, how many people under 40 regularly visit stltoday.com directly? Every post dispatch story I have read this year has been online and has been accessed by me through a link on twitter, facebook, a text, flipboard, or a link through a site like this one.  I don't think I am atypical.

In this framework, it is really irrelevant whether the article I am reading is published by the post dispatch, the university paper, a blogger, a an east side paper, or any other publication. If the content is newsworthy, it will travel. Only 3 newspapers in the United States--only three!--have a daily circulation of more than a million (Wall Street Journal, NY Times, and USA Today). By contrast, CNN, the current and former presidents, and several major athletes have well over 40 million twitter followers they can transmit news to any second of any day. Meanwhile, Jon Rothstein, who has no connection to St. Louis, has over 120,000 followers and has shown an interest in routinely sharing news about SLU men's basketball.

What is the point? If SLU's mens basketball program continues to have success, people will write about them and the news will reach local and national sports fans through social media regardless of what Stu or the Post-Dispatch decides to do. 

23 minutes ago, davidnark said:

I don't think the level of coverage by the P-D matters at all in today's world. How many people under 40 have ever subscribed to or even purchased a hard copy of a newspaper? In fact, how many people under 40 regularly visit stltoday.com directly? Every post dispatch story I have read this year has been online and has been accessed by me through a link on twitter, facebook, a text, flipboard, or a link through a site like this one.  I don't think I am atypical.

In this framework, it is really irrelevant whether the article I am reading is published by the post dispatch, the university paper, a blogger, a an east side paper, or any other publication. If the content is newsworthy, it will travel. Only 3 newspapers in the United States--only three!--have a daily circulation of more than a million (Wall Street Journal, NY Times, and USA Today). By contrast, CNN, the current and former presidents, and several major athletes have well over 40 million twitter followers they can transmit news to any second of any day. Meanwhile, Jon Rothstein, who has no connection to St. Louis, has over 120,000 followers and has shown an interest in routinely sharing news about SLU men's basketball.

What is the point? If SLU's mens basketball program continues to have success, people will write about them and the news will reach local and national sports fans through social media regardless of what Stu or the Post-Dispatch decides to do. 

I can tell you my son when living in San Diego often read the Post sports section on line.  So, there is reason for the paper to cover all teams.  The person who pointed out that Matter is on the sports talk shows when they want someone to talk about Missouri but they were right Stu is never on.  Bottom line, Stu and whoever have figured out that they can not be bothered with us.

3 hours ago, drkelsey55 said:

SLU needs a SID(sports information director) who sends out news releases a couple of times a week.

The news papers will print good stuff if they don't have to pay for it.

Send it to all the area papers not just the PD.

This. 

SIDs everywhere 'ghost write' articles for reporters, who just tweak it here and there to make it 'original'.  Stu doesn't have to get into all the possible recruits like Pistol does, but when a local kid, one of the five best in his  state, commits to a local program, it deserves more than an excuse me space filler at the bottom of an article about another school's verbal acceptance.

mhg

HenryB and VeniceMenace like this

On 7/4/2018 at 9:51 AM, billiken_roy said:

my view has always been it is the post that is the enemy of the billikens.   the department is made up of tiger alum and they couldnt care less about giving us any credit or coverage.   stu is not a billiken fan.   i asked him that directly years ago and he said he is doing his job and not a fan or the billikens.  but i believe the blame lies with his bosses that tell him what to cover and how much.  if you all want to b!tch go after the post dispatch.   things would not get better if stu was to disappear from the scene.   the next "chosen" beat reporter would be the same. 

Talk to Derrick Goold, who's the Cardinals beat writer and he says he's not a fan either.  However, they devote blogs and articles because there are more clicks.  SLU is a better program than DePaul, but still both are similar.  I would guess that there are more articles on the Illini than DePaul.  That's because they have had more historical success.  Now if SLU can get into the postseason a couple of times, then I think you'll see more articles.  Maybe one day they can be like Gonzaga, who I would imagine gets more press than the University of Washington in Seattle, but that's just a guess.

2 hours ago, aj_arete said:

Talk to Derrick Goold, who's the Cardinals beat writer and he says he's not a fan either.  However, they devote blogs and articles because there are more clicks.  SLU is a better program than DePaul, but still both are similar.  I would guess that there are more articles on the Illini than DePaul.  That's because they have had more historical success.  Now if SLU can get into the postseason a couple of times, then I think you'll see more articles.  Maybe one day they can be like Gonzaga, who I would imagine gets more press than the University of Washington in Seattle, but that's just a guess.

Been there done that - never going to get that much better.

2 hours ago, cheeseman said:

We had 3 years of NCAA trips in a row - nothing changed.

We got a lot of coverage during our three-year run, often more than SPUMAC. Winning is the best marketing. BTW, the Macon article today was on the front of the sports section. 

Well your memory is different then mine.  I don't necessarily remember any huge uptick in coverage by the Post.  Did they provide us with a little more - I won't debate that.  Three years is pretty consistent - and yes I know we cratered with Crews but our beat writer did not provide all the little info stuff that we want to hear off season.  

AGB91 likes this

39 minutes ago, Brighton said:

This rag is busy following the dumpster fire on Clark Avenue.

Stick with Jon Rothstein and the other nat'l publications.

i too think post coverage of the cardinals is way overdone, however you cant deny that the cardinals still own the city considering they are still bringing in 46,000 every dam game.   the st louis people are true lemmings.  

1 minute ago, billiken_roy said:

i too think post coverage of the cardinals is way overdone, however you cant deny that the cardinals still own the city considering they are still bringing in 46,000 every dam game.   the st louis people are true lemmings.  

That 46,000 includes a lot of fans disguised as empty seats.  A lot of sold tickets are going unused with the Cardinals.

AGB91 and TheDude like this

35 minutes ago, SLU_Lax said:

That 46,000 includes a lot of fans disguised as empty seats.  A lot of sold tickets are going unused with the Cardinals.

kind of  like at our billiken games?

ive been to three cardinal games this year and didnt see an abundance of open seats.