Columbia Post Disgrace

bauman

personally i think tilky is like watching dumb and dumber.   its mindless entertainment reading his idiocy.   i have very little problem with his posting nonsense and stupidity.   

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

18 hours ago, GMan Alum said:

Yes, I'm still here...and yes, I do want our biased rag of a newspaper to cover SLU baseball, tennis, track and all the other D-1 sports in which the Billikens compete, win or lose.  It would be nice if the local paper reported fairly and equally, but alas, it does not.  Mizzou baseball lost three in a row and the P-D reported on it.  There is more positive news coming out of the SLU campus than negative, but the P-D in their warped view of the world only prints what it wants.

I really do hope you enjoy always being negative.  I truly do wonder how you survive on a daily basis.  With your constant negative attitude I would think those around you would love to punch your lights out regularly.  You are Eeyore!

The difference is that Mizzou baseball lost those three games to the University of Florida who I believe was number one in the country. SLU lost to SEMO, SIU-E and Jacksonville University. There is some difference don't you think?

The P-D prints what they think the vast majority of its readership wants to read about. Pure and simple. That is why there is so much Cardinals coverage.

SLU tennis? Really? There is NO interest in college tennis. Look at the attendance of their matches. That proves it. Even the attendance at SLU baseball would prove the lack of interest. The job of promoting SLU athletics falls to the Sports Information Department at SLU. Not the PD.

If SLU baseball averaged 10,000 fans per game. Their would be a reporter from the PD there. Same goes for SLU tennis. Track? Again, outside of the Olympics there is very little coverage of track.

TheChosenOne likes this

Huge knife in Coach Integrity's back today by BenFred:

Follow-up: If Porter Sr. does leave, any early names out there for who 'Zo may try to hire? 

BENFRED: Too early to say. So I'll just say this. It would not be hard to make a better hire, in terms of coaching and recruiting acumen.

2 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Follow-up: If Porter Sr. does leave, any early names out there for who 'Zo may try to hire? 

BENFRED: Too early to say. So I'll just say this. It would not be hard to make a better hire, in terms of coaching and recruiting acumen.

I get tired of the local “media personalities” being viewed as the “experts.” It’s lazy reporting or no reporting at all...

34 minutes ago, VeniceMenace said:

I get tired of the local “media personalities” being viewed as the “experts.” It’s lazy reporting or no reporting at all...

BenFred is simply saying what we already knew.  Sr.'s only value was his sons.  Martin had to take him on as an extremely expensive assistant coach to complete the package deal.  He was baggage.  

So here is the question. If the Porters had approached Ford about coming to SLU you would have wanted Ford to say no. Now knowing MPJ was going to be hurt all year obviously you would say no, but at the time no one knew that.

I would have wanted Ford to say yes.

The Post had a nice article about the women's softball team this week yet no one mentions that. Doesn't fit the narrative I guess.

11 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Hiring the father for an assistant coach is a short term fix when the father is not a good coach and I would think it could be a problem for team chemistry, I am not saying this is the case for MU.

There are exceptions to the rules at times if and only if the father of the recruit is an exceptional coach and will benefit the program until such time the fathers moves on to a better coaching job.

I think what MU did was high risk high reward but the risk did not pay off unless you feel that barely making the NCAA tournament and losing the first game was the reward you were looking for.

When it comes to SLU I have never been win at all cost so if the Porters would have come here and we would be stuck with the father I say no thanks.

I really like the entire coaching staff of our team, I like that are coaches have built east coast relationships and have offers to players on the east coast.  I like what Cory Tate is doing with our local recruits.  I like that our coaches do not believe in approaching recruits that have declared a school they have chosen.

6 minutes ago, CBFan said:

Hiring the father for an assistant coach is a short term fix when the father is not a good coach and I would think it could be a problem for team chemistry, I am not saying this is the case for MU.

There are exceptions to the rules at times if and only if the father of the recruit is an exceptional coach and will benefit the program until such time the fathers moves on to a better coaching job.

I think what MU did was high risk high reward but the risk did not pay off unless you feel that barely making the NCAA tournament and losing the first game was the reward you were looking for.

When it comes to SLU I have never been win at all cost so if the Porters would have come here and we would be stuck with the father I say no thanks.

I really like the entire coaching staff of our team, I like that are coaches have built east coast relationships and have offers to players on the east coast.  I like what Cory Tate is doing with our local recruits.  I like that our coaches do not believe in approaching recruits that have declared a school they have chosen.

If they were going to hire the parent of a player, it would have made more sense to hire Terrell Ramey.  Courtney Ramey would have been there for at least three years and he is the kind of player you can build a team around.  Terrell Ramey would have actually helped Mizzou when it comes to recruiting outside of his son.  If Mizzou wants to be a top SEC program, it isn't going to get there by landing a couple of one and done players. 

The Porter plan was never a good idea.

CBFan and Zink like this

if martin felt he could survive without a real 3rd assistant (recruiting and credible practice coaching) the chance to possibly be a final four team was well worth it.   i have that much respect for the healthy michael porter jr.   we never saw anything close to what he is this past season.   jr is a stud.   the question will be how he truly recovers.   i just hope he is able to get back to what he was prior to his injury because he is fun to watch.  

that all said, it was somewhat karma that it all backfired on martin.   any other team i would feel sorry for them.   but mi$$ouri.  hell no!

Surely MU and Martin were smart enough to have understood that Porter would probably leave after 1 year so when they made the bargain they knew it was for 3 years - at least that is what I think the contract was for.  I wonder if they try to pay him off if that would not bring the NCAA down on them which would not be good given that the NCAA is already investigating MU over academic issues.

I never want a one-and-done player ----- saw it with Hughes, wanted nothing to do with Tatum.  And I know I am in the minority here, quite possibly the sole voice in the wilderness.  But what Hughes showed me is that as a program, we are ill-equipped to handle such an occurrence.  One-and-dones are for big time programs, not us small fry wanting to grow up and be big one day.  Let's get there first before we mortgage the future for one year of whatever. 

Scoff at Mizzou and Porter if you'd like but there, but for the grace of god, go we if Tatum came here.  Might have had a decent year.  Might have made the big dance.  Might have even persuaded a few others of his ilk to come and play here with him.  I doubt it because the only other guy on the hook that class was the dearly departed Zeke Moore.  As in we had no extra spots.  And then that would likely give [dead] a (shudder) extension.  Instead of Jalen Johnson, we get Tatum and Moore to go with the already assembled bag of misfits and no talents.  We make the dance; Tatum declares, this year [dead] struggles again, and maybe now we are looking for a replacement.  Now.  No Goodwin.  No French.  No Bess.  No Gordon.  No nothing.  Tatum going to Duke was the best thing to happen to us.  Yes, he's our hometown hero.  The reciprocal item folks tend to miss is how much better does the one-and-doner make the rest of your recruits?  Matt Baniak's best year was the one he spent with Hughes.  And it wasn't that great -- 8.7 ppg.  AND IT WENT DOWN FROM THERE.

Sustainability.  Been saying it for years.  Until we hit that plateau, the rest is all pie in the sky.

As for fathers coaching kids in the payoff scheme --- what did Ed Manning ever add to Kansas?  Anybody know?  What did Lee Winfield add to Mizzou?  Milt Wagner to Memphis?  We all know that McDermott is still doing well at Creighton. And I am sure there are other instances.  Hiring Jackson Wheeler for his mud studs was another bad move on our part.   

43 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

As for fathers coaching kids in the payoff scheme --- what did Ed Manning ever add to Kansas?  Anybody know?  What did Lee Winfield add to Mizzou?  Milt Wagner to Memphis?  We all know that McDermott is still doing well at Creighton. And I am sure there are other instances.  Hiring Jackson Wheeler for his mud studs was another bad move on our part.   

Lee Winfield made solid contributions both to SLU and to Missouri, particularly as a lead recruiter.

Without Winfield, I doubt Erwin Claggett would have been a Billiken.

After the firing of Grawer's staff, Winfield attracted several quality St. Louis-area recruits for Missouri, including Kelly Thames and Corey Tate (players who would have elevated SLU, if Biondi and Yow had been able to counsel Grawer through his growing pains — or if the administration hadn't been sabotaging him behind the scenes for years [Upchurch]).

No, I really think it's unfair to lump Winfield in that group.

14 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

I never want a one-and-done player ----- saw it with Hughes, wanted nothing to do with Tatum.  And I know I am in the minority here, quite possibly the sole voice in the wilderness.  But what Hughes showed me is that as a program, we are ill-equipped to handle such an occurrence.  One-and-dones are for big time programs, not us small fry wanting to grow up and be big one day.  Let's get there first before we mortgage the future for one year of whatever. 

Scoff at Mizzou and Porter if you'd like but there, but for the grace of god, go we if Tatum came here.  Might have had a decent year.  Might have made the big dance.  Might have even persuaded a few others of his ilk to come and play here with him.  I doubt it because the only other guy on the hook that class was the dearly departed Zeke Moore.  As in we had no extra spots.  And then that would likely give [dead] a (shudder) extension.  Instead of Jalen Johnson, we get Tatum and Moore to go with the already assembled bag of misfits and no talents.  We make the dance; Tatum declares, this year [dead] struggles again, and maybe now we are looking for a replacement.  Now.  No Goodwin.  No French.  No Bess.  No Gordon.  No nothing.  Tatum going to Duke was the best thing to happen to us.  Yes, he's our hometown hero.  The reciprocal item folks tend to miss is how much better does the one-and-doner make the rest of your recruits?  Matt Baniak's best year was the one he spent with Hughes.  And it wasn't that great -- 8.7 ppg.  AND IT WENT DOWN FROM THERE.

Sustainability.  Been saying it for years.  Until we hit that plateau, the rest is all pie in the sky.

Lee Winfield was a good coach. 

i never thought grawer got fired for playing julian at point guard that freshmen year.   i think yow just didnt think grawer came off as the guy to take us to higher levels.   ends up she might have been right, even though spoon never achieves what he did without claggett and highmark who were two of grawer's best recruits.   it was always my opinion that grawer would have succeeded if the school would have been 100% behind him.   the upchurch thing in hindsight was quite crippling.   the school f'd that up terribly.   

VeniceMenace and AGB91 like this

6 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i never thought grawer got fired for playing julian at point guard that freshmen year.   i think yow just didnt think grawer came off as the guy to take us to higher levels.   ends up she might have been right, even though spoon never achieves what he did without claggett and highmark who were two of grawer's best recruits.   it was always my opinion that grawer would have succeeded if the school would have been 100% behind him.   the upchurch thing in hindsight was quite crippling.   the school f'd that up terribly.   

I agree that the Upchurch situation killed Rich. The school lost credibility with the local black community. He lost the ability to recruit the PHL. 

VeniceMenace likes this

29 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

Totally agree on the Upchurch thing.  Biondi made a big deal about being a top 50 program and Grawer never thought given the way things were here that that was possible.  When he did not accomplish this then Biondi wanted to dump him given that he wanted to take the  heat off of himself.

1 hour ago, dennis_w said:

winfield insisted that julian be a point guard and he just wasnt't. it hurt the team that year and grawer gets fired

Who do you think should have played point guard on that team?  There weren't any better options.

2 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

if martin felt he could survive without a real 3rd assistant (recruiting and credible practice coaching) the chance to possibly be a final four team was well worth it.   i have that much respect for the healthy michael porter jr.   we never saw anything close to what he is this past season.   jr is a stud.   the question will be how he truly recovers.   i just hope he is able to get back to what he was prior to his injury because he is fun to watch.  

that all said, it was somewhat karma that it all backfired on martin.   any other team i would feel sorry for them.   but mi$$ouri.  hell no!

Porter would have been a stud if he hadn't gotten hurt.  He wasn't going to take Mizzou to the final four and Mizzou would have still been in the same spot they are now having to build a new team.

didnt mean winfield cost him the job, but julian was promised the pg and it hurt the team. agreed upchurch cost him dearly. grawer was getting local talent to stayhome and the years following the area was loaded, white, carrawell,woods etc