Columbia Post Disgrace

bauman

1 hour ago, slufan13 said:

I hate every one of tilkowsky's posts and I think it's an absolutely terrible look for Billiken fans that his posts are on our message board. But I also enjoy seeing him use up his one post a day before 8 am when you can tell it kills him to have to wait around another 24 hours to respond to everyone. 

Why are you reading it?  Block it.

The only time I see it is when I read someone's reply and I start to read the original post, then it's Oops! for me.  Im done.  Next.  Just not interested.

mhg

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

22 hours ago, ACE said:

You would "love" to post something positive about SLU? :lol: Just stop. You were trashing SLU on other message boards just a few years ago when we were ranked and making NCAA tourney trips.

I never bought your explanations of the source of your obsessive hatred of SLU - being a Notre Dame fan, etc.  Your latest drivel reinforces what I've always suspected. Mizzou more successful? By what measure? How far back you want to go? You always downplay SLU's historic success when you talk SLU soccer. Since the start of this decade SLU basketball has won 3 NCAA Tourney games vs. O (ZERO) for SPUMAC. And historically as an athletic department, somebody earlier pointed out that Mizzou athletics has only won two team national championships in their history and both of those took place more than 50 years ago. That's pathetic! Especially for a state school. That's fewer national championships than SLU. By your logic, if media coverage is predicated on success, your beloved Mizzou deserves "nothing."

I am much more a ND fan than Mizzou fan.

How is Mizzou basketball more successful than SLU basketball?

Mizzou twenty six NCAA Tournament appearances SLU nine. Mizzou twelve appearances in the NCAA Tournament Round of 32 SLU five. Mizzou six Sweet 16 NCAA Tournament appearance SLU two. Mizzou four Elite 8 NCAA Tournament appearances SLU one.

How is SLU Men's basketball program better? Looking forward to facts, not emotion.

I have never downplayed SLU's soccer success (show me how I have done that you won't). I have only pointed out that their last NCAA College  Cup appearance was twenty years ago. Their last NCAA Men's Tournament College Cup Championship was forty years ago. How is that downplaying it again? 

billikenroy that story about me being rebuffed by SLU soccer is not true. Have never been and never wanted to be associated with the program. That was started by HoosierPal (who by the way invited me here so you can thank him). He is wrong.

I am sure you won't answer as you are afraid to.

For everyone downplaying S2 saying it was no big deal and the players should get off and walk with no punishment - you guys sure are sensitive about it. Guilt maybe?

1 hour ago, Tilkowsky said:

I am much more a ND fan than Mizzou fan.

How is Mizzou basketball more successful than SLU basketball?

Mizzou twenty six NCAA Tournament appearances SLU nine. Mizzou twelve appearances in the NCAA Tournament Round of 32 SLU five. Mizzou six Sweet 16 NCAA Tournament appearance SLU two. Mizzou four Elite 8 NCAA Tournament appearances SLU one.

How is SLU Men's basketball program better? Looking forward to facts, not emotion.

I have never downplayed SLU's soccer success (show me how I have done that you won't). I have only pointed out that their last NCAA College  Cup appearance was twenty years ago. Their last NCAA Men's Tournament College Cup Championship was forty years ago. How is that downplaying it again? 

billikenroy that story about me being rebuffed by SLU soccer is not true. Have never been and never wanted to be associated with the program. That was started by HoosierPal (who by the way invited me here so you can thank him). He is wrong.

I am sure you won't answer as you are afraid to.

For everyone downplaying S2 saying it was no big deal and the players should get off and walk with no punishment - you guys sure are sensitive about it. Guilt maybe?

You sure know a lot about SPUMAC "history" for a ND fan. You're doing a wonderful job of confirming my suspicions. :lol:  SLU has won more NCAA Tourney games recently. It's been a LONG time for you. You're letting your Tiger emotions get the best of you on this. Try again. Only two national titles in Mizzou athletic history? That's pathetic.

So...another Friday, another Post article on Mizzou recruiting. 

I'm sure it's my own homerism talking here, but I don't think Mizzou is going to be all that good next year if Jontay does not return and/or they don't get Ramey. I would certainly rather have our roster at this point.  French and Tillmon are pretty similar right now (French was better as a frosh) and Geist is a nice enough player, but I think we're in better shape at nearly every position after that.  Watson will be good, but hard to imagine he'll be better than Goodwin or Bess next year.   Throw in Gordon, Foreman, Santos, Johnson, and the other incoming frosh, and we should be the storyline.  

It'd be a nice time to get one of those Jeff Gordon articles analyzing the state of the local hoops programs. 

4 minutes ago, ACE said:

You sure know a lot about SPUMAC "history" for a ND fan. You're doing a wonderful job of confirming my suspicions. :lol:  SLU has won more NCAA Tourney games recently. It's been a LONG time for you. You're letting your Tiger emotions get the best of you on this. Try again. Only two national titles in Mizzou athletic history? That's pathetic.

It's hilarious. Refuses to respect Billiken Soccer titles before X date but man all those SPUMAC NCAA tournament appearances from eons ago.

ACE and philliken like this

30 minutes ago, SShoe said:

I'm sure it's my own homerism talking here, but I don't think Mizzou is going to be all that good next year if Jontay does not return and/or they don't get Ramey. I would certainly rather have our roster at this point.  French and Tillmon are pretty similar right now (French was better as a frosh) and Geist is a nice enough player, but I think we're in better shape at nearly every position after that.  Watson will be good, but hard to imagine he'll be better than Goodwin or Bess next year.   Throw in Gordon, Foreman, Santos, Johnson, and the other incoming frosh, and we should be the storyline.  

It'd be a nice time to get one of those Jeff Gordon articles analyzing the state of the local hoops programs. 

Matters is a hard worker and produces enough pieces to make the Post make his stuff relevant.  I know we are suppose to cut Stu a break according to some but we can't even get a tenth of the pub in the paper.  Sorry, this not just the Post saying more people are interested in MU then SLU - part of it is a lack of material given to them by the writer.

43 minutes ago, SShoe said:

French or Gordon > Tilmon. Goodwin > Geist. tysm.  Bess would be their best player.

46 minutes ago, SShoe said:

It's ridiculous how much more coverage they get than SLU. Not sure if Matter just works harder than Stu or the Post conspiracy, but its so unbalanced its comical.

Regarding Mizzou next year, I agree with you. They've lost their 2 top players (Robertson and Barnett) are very close to losing their third best player and have back-filled with some good but not great recruits. Their best returning player is Tillman and I'd rather have French then him in a heartbeat. Ramey is a big part of how good they could be and maybe Martin can pull another 5th yr transfer out of his hat as good as Robertson but I doubt it. That roster looks more like a Kim Andersen than Cuonzo's team. People are generally OK when you take your time getting better but progress (see Ford's teams) but aren't as forgiving when you start to regress.

20 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

French or Gordon > Tilmon. Goodwin > Geist. tysm.  Bess would be their best player.

I certainly agree that Goodwin is better than Geist.  Just assuming Geist is better than whatever other guard we can fill in with at this moment.  

French was also certainly better than Tilmon this past year, but I do think JT has a little more upside due to his added height.  Can't say regarding Gordon at this moment, but my guess is that he'll be at least comparable to both as freshman.  

Regardless, our roster looks way better, imo, yet you would not know it given the way the media is covering the programs. 

they are an example of what happens when you sell your long term future for the short term.  two one and done brothers and an assistant coach who really isnt an assistant coach and now your recruiting and development suffers accordingly.   good job martin. 

HenryB and SShoe like this

5 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Didn't somebody say that the PD is holding even more of a grudge because SLU (the school, not the athletic department) blocked them out during S2?

Somebody may have said it, but it doesn't necessarily make it true.

I think there are three main things going on:

1) Matter was hired away from the Columbia Tribune exclusively to cover Mizzou. He does a good job of producing content and they will publish whatever he writes. Stu isn't nearly as motivated to produce content and does the bare minimum asked of him.

2) The PD now believes internet clicks are the truest representation of interest in a topic.  Mizzou coverage can get clicks from non-St. Louis people that will never buy a subscription and they treat that as equal to interest from actual St. Louisans that may still buy a hard copy paper.

3) The two Ben columnists are Mizzou grad fan boys and they produce stuff that interests them as well as what they are told to do. Since Mizzou sports interest them, that is what they produce.

The end result is Mizzou basketball gets about 80% of the local coverage despite the reality that SLU will probably have a better team next year and will have more genuine interest from St. Louisans.

Matty Light and slufan13 like this

5 minutes ago, kshoe said:

Somebody may have said it, but it doesn't necessarily make it true.

I think there are three main things going on:

1) Matter was hired away from the Columbia Tribune exclusively to cover Mizzou. He does a good job of producing content and they will publish whatever he writes. Stu isn't nearly as motivated to produce content and does the bare minimum asked of him.

2) The PD now believes internet clicks are the truest representation of interest in a topic.  Mizzou coverage can get clicks from non-St. Louis people that will never buy a subscription and they treat that as equal to interest from actual St. Louisans that may still buy a hard copy paper.

3) The two Ben columnists are Mizzou grad fan boys and they produce stuff that interests them as well as what they are told to do. Since Mizzou sports interest them, that is what they produce.

The end result is Mizzou basketball gets about 80% of the local coverage despite the reality that SLU will probably have a better team next year and will have more genuine interest from St. Louisans.

Agree

9 minutes ago, Billboy1 said:

According to Frank SLU contacted MU about playing-of course they are afraid and said no.

I don't want us to schedule SPUMAC the next few years because it will hurt our SOS rating.  If we need a P5 Conference opponent there are other possibilities as the CM ship begins to sink.

9 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

they are an example of what happens when you sell your long term future for the short term.  two one and done brothers and an assistant coach who really isnt an assistant coach and now your recruiting and development suffers accordingly.   good job martin. 

Coach Martin is doing quite well thank you. 

On 4/20/2018 at 9:45 AM, billikenfan05 said:

It's hilarious. Refuses to respect Billiken Soccer titles before X date but man all those SPUMAC NCAA tournament appearances from eons ago.

There is only one NCAA Tournament appearance and Elite 8 appearance before 1973 ( SLU’s last NCAA Soccer Championship) So where is this eons stuff coming from?

It has been forty years since SLU has won College Cup and twenty years since they have been there.

Talk about eons. With the recruits Kalish has I doubt next year is the year either.

SLU is going to Iceland for recruits? What about New York? Chicago? Philadelphia? 

19 minutes ago, Tilkowsky said:

There is only one NCAA Tournament appearance and Elite 8 appearance before 1973 ( SLU’s last NCAA Soccer Championship) So where is this eons stuff coming from?

It has been forty years since SLU has won College Cup and twenty years since they have been there.

Talk about eons. With the recruits Kalish has I doubt next year is the year either.

SLU is going to Iceland for recruits? What about New York? Chicago? Philadelphia? 

French is from NY and Jacobs is from Chicago - nobody from Philly - yet.  

3 hours ago, Tilkowsky said:

This is proof you know absolutely nothing about the basketball program French is from the North East and Jacobs is from Chicago.

SLU went to Chicago and signed Dwayne Evans and Mike McCall, at the same time SLU signed Rob Loe and Cody Ellis.

See you can do both and build a good team.

NextYearBill likes this

On April 21, 2018 at 3:32 PM, CBFan said:

This is proof you know absolutely nothing about the basketball program French is from the North East and Jacobs is from Chicago.

SLU went to Chicago and signed Dwayne Evans and Mike McCall, at the same time SLU signed Rob Loe and Cody Ellis.

See you can do both and build a good team.

I am not talking about last year I am talking about this year.

You are telling me this kid from Iceland is better than ANY kid in the US that doesn't have a team? I have a hard time believing there isn't a kid from the US that is better than this kid from Iceland.

my other question is who else was after this kid's signature? Villanova? Duke? Kentucky? Kansas? Gonzaga? That would tell a lot about how good this kid will be.

So I guess Travis Ford is the smartest coach in America and he is the on,y one who knew about this kid? Hardly.

This kid from Iceland will be an end of the bench guy.

Rob Loe and Cody Ellis were average players nothing special. No professional career of any consequence. 

gramps likes this