Columbia Post Disgrace

bauman

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Getting away from the intra-Billikens.com feuds, it seems that Billikens.com has one again proven that non-Board regulars read and react to this website.

As soon as we point out the ridiculous coverage of the SPUMAC program and its god of all college MBB coaches, we suddenly get two articles from Stu on the Billikens and Coach Ford.

My only problem with Stu's article on TF recruiting Iceland is his comment on JJ as the only returning possible SG.  JJ a SG?  Really?  I think all of us who have watched JJ play the last two years pretty much agree that JJ has trouble guarding a #3 wing forward who is usually 6'4"-6'7", let alone guard a #2 SG who is generally between 6'2" and 6'5" and normally quicker and a better ball handler than a #3.  Where did Stu ever come up with the thought that JJ is a possible SG?  Bess yes, but not Johnson.

Anyway, thanks Stu for finally getting your bosses to realize that there is interest in SLU basketball and that some really good stuff is going on just a few miles West of your offices, not just 120 miles away in the center of Missouri.

2 hours ago, bauman said:

m with Stu's article on TF recruiting Iceland is his comment on JJ as the only returning possible SG.  JJ a SG?  Really?  I think all of us who have watched JJ play the last two years pretty much agree that JJ has trouble guarding a #3 wing forward who is usually 6'4"-6'7", let alone guard a #2 SG who is generally between 6'2" and 6'5" and normally quicker and a better ball handler than a #3.  Where did Stu ever come up with the thought that JJ is a possible SG?  Bess yes, but not Johnson.

I assumed Stu was referring to potential offensive positions. JJ could line up a shooting guard, but that doesn't require him to defend the other team's shooting guard. 

4 hours ago, bauman said:

My only problem with Stu's article on TF recruiting Iceland is his comment on JJ as the only returning possible SG.  JJ a SG?  Really?  I think all of us who have watched JJ play the last two years pretty much agree that JJ has trouble guarding a #3 wing forward who is usually 6'4"-6'7", let alone guard a #2 SG who is generally between 6'2" and 6'5" and normally quicker and a better ball handler than a #3.  Where did Stu ever come up with the thought that JJ is a possible SG?  Bess yes, but not Johnson.

Well, you made this same comment regarding Johnson playing on the wing on another thread.  I disagreed with you then and now you are harping at Stu for taking my side of the issue.  Deja vu all over again.  

First, no "I think all of us who watched JJ play the last two years pretty much agree that JJ has trouble guarding a #3 wing forward."  You can take that position, but don't include "all of us".  He pretty much played the wing all last season and did just fine.  No, he's not  All Defensive Team material, but he was not a liability on man coverage.   

How much of the time did we play zone last year?  I don't have that number either, but it was over 50%.  Johnson's length and his endurance is a plus in a zone. 

Assuming a man defense, with Bess and Johnson at the wings, Bess will take the more talented offensive player.  

On April 17, 2018 at 4:44 PM, GMan Alum said:

Why do you even post on this board?  And why are you defending the rag of a newspaper?  You have never posted one thing positive about SLU!  I don't care if SLU's baseball team is playing Khoury League teams.  They are 25-9, 11-1 in the conference and no one outside of the SLU community knows it.  Coach Hendrickson has done an incredible job of sustained success for this program and they deserve some positive publicity.  Plus...I am tired of reading about Mizzou basketball every day.  There is a D-1 university in town and if Stu would be allowed more column space maybe it would excite the casual fan.

I am not defending the Post. I am pointing out why the baseball team doesn't get that much publicity using facts. Not emotion. They have a good record against a weak schedule.

The fact that no one outside the SLU community knows about the baseball team is up to the Sports Information Department.

I would love to post something positive about SLU as soon as there is something to post. I follow the soccer team and let's face it there hasn't been a lot to post positive about that team. They have made the NCAA Tournament twice in eight years. Haven't been to College Cup in twenty years. Haven't won an NCAA title in over forty years.

S2 was disgraceful. Yet posters on this site were only worried about how it impacted wins/losses for the basketball team. Not that S2 showed there are some serious moral issues in the basketball program.

In terms of Missouri and Illinois basketball both programs have been more successful than SLU. Just using one metric is trips to the NCAA Tournament.

SLU doesn't even exist in terms of retailers in regards to SLU stuff. You see Mizzou SWAG though. I bet in Illinois you see Illinios SWAG as well.

In terms of the baseball team deserving publicity - there is a famous movie line -Deseverves has got nothing to do with it.

1 hour ago, Tilkowsky said:

I am not defending the Post. I am pointing out why the baseball team doesn't get that much publicity using facts. Not emotion. They have a good record against a weak schedule.

The fact that no one outside the SLU community knows about the baseball team is up to the Sports Information Department.

I would love to post something positive about SLU as soon as there is something to post. I follow the soccer team and let's face it there hasn't been a lot to post positive about that team. They have made the NCAA Tournament twice in eight years. Haven't been to College Cup in twenty years. Haven't won an NCAA title in over forty years.

S2 was disgraceful. Yet posters on this site were only worried about how it impacted wins/losses for the basketball team. Not that S2 showed there are some serious moral issues in the basketball program.

In terms of Missouri and Illinois basketball both programs have been more successful than SLU. Just using one metric is trips to the NCAA Tournament.

SLU doesn't even exist in terms of retailers in regards to SLU stuff. You see Mizzou SWAG though. I bet in Illinois you see Illinios SWAG as well.

In terms of the baseball team deserving publicity - there is a famous movie line -Deseverves has got nothing to do with it.

You would "love" to post something positive about SLU? :lol: Just stop. You were trashing SLU on other message boards just a few years ago when we were ranked and making NCAA tourney trips.

I never bought your explanations of the source of your obsessive hatred of SLU - being a Notre Dame fan, etc.  Your latest drivel reinforces what I've always suspected. Mizzou more successful? By what measure? How far back you want to go? You always downplay SLU's historic success when you talk SLU soccer. Since the start of this decade SLU basketball has won 3 NCAA Tourney games vs. O (ZERO) for SPUMAC. And historically as an athletic department, somebody earlier pointed out that Mizzou athletics has only won two team national championships in their history and both of those took place more than 50 years ago. That's pathetic! Especially for a state school. That's fewer national championships than SLU. By your logic, if media coverage is predicated on success, your beloved Mizzou deserves "nothing."

38 minutes ago, ACE said:

You would "love" to post something positive about SLU? :lol: Just stop. You were trashing SLU on other message boards just a few years ago when we were ranked and making NCAA tourney trips.

I never bought your explanations of the source of your obsessive hatred of SLU - being a Notre Dame fan, etc.  Your latest drivel reinforces what I've always suspected. Mizzou more successful? By what measure? How far back you want to go? You always downplay SLU's historic success when you talk SLU soccer. Since the start of this decade SLU basketball has won 3 NCAA Tourney games vs. O (ZERO) for SPUMAC. And historically as an athletic department, somebody earlier pointed out that Mizzou athletics has only won two team national championships in their history and both of those took place more than 50 years ago. That's pathetic! Especially for a state school. That's fewer national championships than SLU. By your logic, if media coverage is predicated on success, your beloved Mizzou deserves "nothing."

ace, tilky actually has no ties or cares about mi$$ouri.   he knows mi$$ouri irks us true blue billikens so probably why he uses it.   tilky has never gotten over his rebuff by the slu soccer program years ago and has made it his lifelong quest to punch back at slu in everyway he can and at anyone that stands besides slu fans everywhere.   he is a sad bitter person dying all alone in his mother's basement.   

Spoon-Balls likes this

59 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

ace, tilky actually has no ties or cares about mi$$ouri.   he knows mi$$ouri irks us true blue billikens so probably why he uses it.   tilky has never gotten over his rebuff by the slu soccer program years ago and has made it his lifelong quest to punch back at slu in everyway he can and at anyone that stands besides slu fans everywhere.   he is a sad bitter person dying all alone in his mother's basement.   

I remain skeptical of his backstory, but regardless of his twisted motivation, I do find it amusing that he is so tortured by SLU that it compels him to devote multiple online identities to try to advance his crusade.

7 minutes ago, ACE said:

I remain skeptical of his backstory, but regardless of his twisted motivation, I do find it amusing that he is so tortured by SLU that it compels him to devote multiple online identities to try to advance his crusade.

somebody here that knows the story better than me should detail tilky's sad demise from all things billikens for everyone to be in on his sad life.  

2 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

It seems to me the biggest obsession is certain posters over the troll. Why can't you guys just ignore him? If no one reads or responds to his posts he'll eventually go away? WTF don't you understand?

I don't believe he will go away until Steve steps in and bans him and his IP address.

1 minute ago, slufanskip said:

It seems to me the biggest obsession is certain posters over the troll. Why can't you guys just ignore him? If no one reads or responds to his posts he'll eventually go away? WTF don't you understand?

Or how about the "obsession" of some posters who respond about the obsession of those responding to Tilky. ;) As long as he's allowed to post once a day, he'll continue to do so. 

Personally, I rarely respond to him, but I found his latest nonsense particularly amusing. It's the offseason and there is nothing shaking now with recruiting, so what the hell.

billiken_roy likes this

2 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I don't believe he will go away until Steve steps in and bans him and his IP address.

He has consistently got around IP bans over at stltoday.  He would do the same here.  So just control yourself and ignore him.  Steve has really made it as easy as possible.

Box and Won likes this

Limiting posts is the absolute correct thing to do. Banning or whatever will just lead to this song and dance all over again, along with a learning curve for some posters to not respond.

I've never understood the ignore thing. It doesn't really bug me to see even the dumbest crap people post. However I am willing to guess that the vast majority of people who read posts here are not actual members, and thus do not have the ignore feature. I could be ignored by every active member, post everday that XYZ players are committing XYZ crime, and a lot of people will still see it. And associate it with SLU. How many times do posts from here show up on other schools forums  without really knowing if that poster is worth a damn or not? That is kind of my point. 

slufan13 likes this

I hate every one of tilkowsky's posts and I think it's an absolutely terrible look for Billiken fans that his posts are on our message board. But I also enjoy seeing him use up his one post a day before 8 am when you can tell it kills him to have to wait around another 24 hours to respond to everyone. 

1 hour ago, JMM28 said:

Limiting posts is the absolute correct thing to do. Banning or whatever will just lead to this song and dance all over again, along with a learning curve for some posters to not respond.

I've never understood the ignore thing. It doesn't really bug me to see even the dumbest crap people post. However I am willing to guess that the vast majority of people who read posts here are not actual members, and thus do not have the ignore feature. I could be ignored by every active member, post everday that XYZ players are committing XYZ crime, and a lot of people will still see it. And associate it with SLU. How many times do posts from here show up on other schools forums  without really knowing if that poster is worth a damn or not? That is kind of my point. 

That is a very good point.  I don't know of a solution to that, but it's certainly worth thinking about.