UConn

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Homecoming game for Napheesa Collier (O'Fallon, MO/Incarnate Word).

SLU will lose by 40 even if they don't lose a step from the last couple years. UConn will be a little down from this year, but they're still UConn.

Regardless, great get for the program and hopefully they can get a good crowd.

4 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

This will be the first sellout of a SLU womens game at Chaifetz.

If SLU markets it properly it should be the first women's sellout and possibly the largest crowd ever at Chaifetz.  They shouldn't have to give away any tickets to fill the building up. 

They have actually done a decent job of marketing the women's team in the past.  SLU was second in the conference in 16-17 season in average home attendance and not that far out of the top 50 overall in attendance.  That isn't bad for a program that has never made an NCAA tournament.

10 minutes ago, brianstl said:

If SLU markets it properly it should be the first women's sellout and possibly the largest crowd ever at Chaifetz.  They shouldn't have to give away any tickets to fill the building up. 

They have actually done a decent job of marketing the women's team in the past.  SLU was second in the conference in 16-17 season in average home attendance and not that far out of the top 50 overall in attendance.  That isn't bad for a program that has never made an NCAA tournament.

I'm not knocking the strategy of giving away tickets because SLU gets revenue from concession sales. But once you start giving away tickets, it's difficult to go back and get those casual fans/people to pay to see games. The only way they've upped attendance to where they have has been giveaways.

Just now, cheeseman said:

If it was ND yes UConn - maybe

UConn basketball is bigger to the people that will by tickets to this game than Notre Dame. ND might be the champs on the the court, but UConn is still the draw at the box office.

Plus, Collier is the most successful women's college player born and raised in St. Louis. Candace Parker is best women's player ever born in St. Louis, but she grew up in the Chicago area.

14 minutes ago, brianstl said:

UConn basketball is bigger to the people that will by tickets to this game than Notre Dame. ND might be the champs on the the court, but UConn is still the draw at the box office.

Plus, Collier is the most successful women's college player born and raised in St. Louis. Candace Parker is best women's player ever born in St. Louis, but she grew up in the Chicago area.

I guess I was thinking that people in StL would have more of a connection to ND then UConn.  I do agree that UConn is iconic in the world of women's BB

15 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I'm not knocking the strategy of giving away tickets because SLU gets revenue from concession sales. But once you start giving away tickets, it's difficult to go back and get those casual fans/people to pay to see games. The only way they've upped attendance to where they have has been giveaways.

95% of the women's college programs give away a ton of tickets and still have trouble getting people to show up.  It is just the place the sport is at overall.  A10 teams averaged 920 people per game in 16-17.  Overall, average NCAA attendance was 1,538.  Only 15 programs averaged over 5,000 a game. 

Those give aways should put them in a position to sell all the tickets to this game.  This isn't your regular SLU women's game against Dayton.  This is your chance to see UConn in person.  The marketing department will have to work, but they should be able to sell the tickets to this one. 

billikenfan05 likes this

47 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

If it was ND yes UConn - maybe

you'd rather see ND women than UConn women who is arguably one of the two greatest programs in college basketball history (best being UCLA men's from mid 60's to mid 70's)?

59 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

Well...

If it was a men's game I would be worried.  They have actually done a decent job getting people to show up for a women's team with no history.  Getting all those people to pay is different, but they have done a good job of reaching the people interested in women's college basketball.

I know a home game against the UConn's women's team is a big deal.   Everyone is going to want to get their hands in this, so they can claim credit for the success of the event if it sells out.  Just be smart enough to let whoever has the contacts with the people actually interested in the product, play a large role in the marketing of this game.

3 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

you'd rather see ND women than UConn women who is arguably one of the two greatest programs in college basketball history (best being UCLA men's from mid 60's to mid 70's)?

I am not sure where you got that I would rather see ND than UConn?  I only said that people in StL may have a better connection to ND - the current defending national champ then UConn.

40 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

I am not sure where you got that I would rather see ND than UConn?  I only said that people in StL may have a better connection to ND - the current defending national champ then UConn.

nah UConn is the bigger draw..... every female basketball player and their sister in a 100 mile radius will be at that game. sellout guaranteed 

Box and Won likes this

4 hours ago, brianstl said:

Better than Kristin Folkl?

5 hours ago, brianstl said:

The article said she came to St. Louis for her last 3 years of HS.  Was in Jefferson City before that...but in St. Louis it is what high school did you go to.....🤮

I'll wager game attendance at maybe 8,000.  Don't think it will be a sell out.

And there is an ongoing anti-UConn bias pretty strong out here on the East Coast.  Lots of folks tired of Geno's domination.  I was just a tad too young to understand the UCLA dominance of the 1960s but I suspect the feelings are the same.  My feeligns are always "damn .. Notre Dame or Duke.  They are in the finals of everything.."  I never root for either.

Of course, next year might be done with a real vengance.  That's two straight years UConn has been undefeated going into the Final Four and failed to remain so. 

35 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

I'll wager game attendance at maybe 8,000.  Don't think it will be a sell out.

And there is an ongoing anti-UConn bias pretty strong out here on the East Coast.  Lots of folks tired of Geno's domination.  I was just a tad too young to understand the UCLA dominance of the 1960s but I suspect the feelings are the same.  My feeligns are always "damn .. Notre Dame or Duke.  They are in the finals of everything.."  I never root for either.

Of course, next year might be done with a real vengance.  That's two straight years UConn has been undefeated going into the Final Four and failed to remain so. 

ill agree with you if the women's game with uconn has to stand on it's own.  but if a doubleheader with a men's game guaranteed standing room only with jacked up scalping going on outside.  

1 hour ago, almaman said:

Better than Kristin Folkl?

Folkl was the best high school female basketball player I ever saw personally.  When she was in eighth grade and I saw her playing at a Catholic school tournament, I thought I was watching someone that could be the greatest women's basketball player ever. That said, Collier has been to 3 basketball Final Fours, Collier has been an All-American twice and won a national championship.  Folkl went to one less Four Four and didn't become an All-American in basketball until he final season.

Folkl was very good but could not do the same things on a basketball court that Collier does.  I watched Folkl for four years and Collier for the last six years.  Collier was born in a foreign country and her father was well known in his country.  She played her freshman year in Jefferson City and her last three at Incarnate Word Academy.  I believe the game will be close to sold out if not completely.  I believe what NextYearBill said is true.