Former Billiken in the news

brianstl

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Nice write-up about Danny Brown and STLCOP's first win in four seasons: https://deadspin.com/college-hoops-most-brutal-losing-streak-is-over-1831179357

Featured this interesting line:

STLCOP began to envision not just sloughing off the streak, but casting itself as the Vanderbilt or Saint Louis of the NAIA: a school of high academic and athletic repute.

Maybe a stretch on 'in the news' but didn't know where else to put this.

So, reports are that Rick Pitino is going to coach Greek powerhouse Panathinaikos.  (A lot of former college players play in Greece, and specifically this team as well.)

Anyhow, I seemed to remember Ian Vouyoukas played for them.  Venturing over to their team page and lo and behold, he still plays there.  However his name is spelled 'Ian Vougioukas', different than when he played at SLU as 'Ian Vouyoukas'.  My (unimportant) question is, is that a common thing to change the spelling of your name when playing overseas?  Obviously, a lot of sports in America attract talent from outside North America.  I'm guessing they do this to make it easier for locals to pronounce?  Hence the 'G' has a 'Y' sound in Greek.  I was just surprised to see it a different spelling.

(Different argument but his bio has him playing at 'University of Saint Louis'.  Ugh.)

31 minutes ago, philliken said:

Maybe a stretch on 'in the news' but didn't know where else to put this.

So, reports are that Rick Pitino is going to coach Greek powerhouse Panathinaikos.  (A lot of former college players play in Greece, and specifically this team as well.)

Anyhow, I seemed to remember Ian Vouyoukas played for them.  Venturing over to their team page and lo and behold, he still plays there.  However his name is spelled 'Ian Vougioukas', different than when he played at SLU as 'Ian Vouyoukas'.  My (unimportant) question is, is that a common thing to change the spelling of your name when playing overseas?  Obviously, a lot of sports in America attract talent from outside North America.  I'm guessing they do this to make it easier for locals to pronounce?  Hence the 'G' has a 'Y' sound in Greek.  I was just surprised to see it a different spelling.

(Different argument but his bio has him playing at 'University of Saint Louis'.  Ugh.)

The Greeks use a different alphabet and there at times can be multiple ways to convert a name when going from the Greek alphabet to the Latin.

philliken likes this

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, crymdg2 said:

Zeke Moore - left SLU after one year, signed with Tennessee Tech, opted to go to an IL JuCo instead, went to Tulsa, transferred from Tulsa after 1 semester.

Like a lesser version of that kid that from Ritter who started out at Notre Dame.  Yikes.

Just now, RUBillsFan said:

Zeke Moore - left SLU after one year, signed with Tennessee Tech, opted to go to an IL JuCo instead, went to Tulsa, transferred from Tulsa after 1 semester.

Like a lesser version of that kid that from Ritter who started out at Notre Dame.  Yikes.

Biedscheid Lite? 

The Zeke Moore talk reminds me that Matt Neufeld still plays college basketball. Averaging 6 points at UC Davis. Also, Zeke Moore has his own, fully descriptive Wikipedia page, which has to be one of the most random players in the country to have one. 

On 1/8/2019 at 4:06 PM, RiseAndGrind said:

Both with crazy dads too. imagine that. 

6 hours ago, johnbj14 said:

The Zeke Moore talk reminds me that Matt Neufeld still plays college basketball. Averaging 6 points at UC Davis. Also, Zeke Moore has his own, fully descriptive Wikipedia page, which has to be one of the most random players in the country to have one. 

I'm gonna say that no, it's not random.

johnbj14 and brianstl like this

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Franchise_08 said:

"Moore, a 6-foot, 7-inch, 200-pound shooting guard"

"The native of Granite City, Illinois, began his college career at Saint Louis in 2016-17 where he became the first freshman to lead the Billikens in three-pointers made (80) and three-point percentage (.390) since the Billikens joined the Atlantic 10 in 2005."

First, I didn't remember him being that big. Second, he led the billikens with 80 made 3pointers in 16-17????

screen-shot-2015-08-18-at-4-55-57-pm.png

Westy03 likes this

2 minutes ago, JohnnyJumpUp said:

"The native of Granite City, Illinois, began his college career at Saint Louis in 2016-17 where he became the first freshman to lead the Billikens in three-pointers made (80) and three-point percentage (.390) since the Billikens joined the Atlantic 10 in 2005."

First, I didn't remember him being that big. Second, he led the billikens with 80 made 3pointers in 16-17????

8 maybe

Westy03 likes this

8 minutes ago, JohnnyJumpUp said:

Zeke was 27 of 69 for 39% behind the arc in 2016-2017.