Former Billiken in the news

brianstl

8 hours ago, GBL_Bills said:

Someone must have better knowledge about this than me, but why is Kwamain in the 2nd tier Russian league out in the middle of nowhere? I have to imagine that playing in Czechia or Poland is better in terms of lifestyle and exposure to the rest of Europe. 

It might be for money. That occasionally affects people's decisions.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty amazing that Markos, who received almost zero playing time on some of the worst Billiken teams ever, can find work as a professional (or semi professional) basketball player. Just goes to show that if you want to, and are willing to make some financial sacrifices, you can play. 

Miles Reynolds played 17 minutes for OU was 3-6 1-1 from the 3pt for 7 points had two rebounds and a steal no TO's

I mentioned in another post on this thread a GT from Maine starts at the point his name is Calixte and he scored 18 last night.

OU guards are really good James the other guard scored 24.

9 hours ago, GBL_Bills said:

Someone must have better knowledge about this than me, but why is Kwamain in the 2nd tier Russian league out in the middle of nowhere? I have to imagine that playing in Czechia or Poland is better in terms of lifestyle and exposure to the rest of Europe. 

I hear Winter in Russia is pretty nice.

13 hours ago, thetorch said:

I haven’t done this in a couple years.

Davell Roby - Plays for Basket BRNO in the Czech Republic NBL, same league Kwamain Mitchell was MVP in a couple years ago.  So far his team is 3-6 in the NBL and 1-3 in the Alpe Adria Cup, a play in for the EuroCup comprised of teams from Czech, Austria, Poland, & Hungary.  Roby is a starter and averaging 10 points, 2 assists and 4 rebounds. Brno is the 2nd largest city in the Czech Republic with a population of 377k.

Markos Psimitis - Plays for Dafnis BC in the Greek B League, 3rd highest league in Greece.  Dafnis is a small suburb of Athens. I couldn’t find any relevant stats although the team is in 2nd place in its group at 5-1.

Ash Yacoubou - Plays for KK Skrljevo in the Croatian A1 Liga.  Ash is the star of the team, leading in scoring at over 16 ppg while shooting 41% from 3.  Ash also plays in the Alpe Adria Cup and his team defeated Roby’s a couple weeks ago. Roby scored 14 in their matchup while Ash had 22 in the win.  Skrljevo is just 1-6 in the A1 league but 2-0 in Alpe Adria Cup.

Dwayne Evans - Evans continues to play for Ratiopharm in Germany.  He has been with the team for 5 seasons. Ratiopharm plays in the Bundesliga and is also participating in the Eurocup currently.  Evans is averaging about 9 points and 7 rebounds while starting at SF for the team. Ratiopharm is currently 1-5 in BBL play but 3-3 in the Eurocup.

Mike McCall - After jumping from D-League teams and a couple shortlived stints in lower level clubs in the US McCall has found a home in the BBL for the Manchester Giants.  The British Basketball League is making a push to be more relevant and paying much higher wages now. McCall’s Giants are 2-4 in league and McCall is 2nd in scoring at 15 ppg, along with 4 boards and 4 assists.  The Giants have an active social media accounts and almost post as much video as the Aussies do to follow McCall.

Kwamain Mitchell - Has had a varied and successful career in upper level leagues.  He’s played in Poland, Latvia, Croatia, Czech, & France. Now he has joined Vostok 65 in the Russian Superleague 1, the 2nd highest league in Russia.  He plays in Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk which is located on an island above Japan. Mitchell is scoring over 14 ppg, 5 assists, and nearly 3 steals. He is as usual among the league leaders in all those categories and his team is in 2nd place at 6-2 on the season.

Ian Voyoukas - Ian continues to toil away as a reserve on very high level teams in Europe.  He currently is a backup on Panathinaikos in the Greek A1 league and Euroleague. They are currently 4-0 in A1 play and 4-2 in the Euroleague.  His teammates include high level vets like Nick Calathes, Deshaun Thomas, Stephane Lasme, Keith Langford, Sac Kings washout Giorgois Papagiannis, and Greek Freak brother Thanassis.  Ian is a deep reserve only getting run time in A1 play, averaging 5 points and 4 boards.

It is pretty easy to find stats and keep track game to game of our numerous players in Australia.  Rob Loe is a starter on the struggling Taipan Cairns team, he is putting up 8 points and 5 boards on a bad defensive squad that is 1-6 on the season.  Jett and Conklin both play for the Illawarra Hawks who are 3-5. Conklin leads the team in scoring and rebounding at 16 and 6. Jett averages 13 ppg and is 3rd in the league in steals.  Jett started the season 20-30 LBs overweight and doesn’t appear to have lost any weight yet. Lisch plays for the Sydney Kings, alongside Andrew Bogut. Lisch averages 15 ppg and continues to be the premier perimeter defender in the league for the 5-2 Kings.  The NBL has really raised their profile in recent years, and tend to run their league as a more successful basketball version of MLS, attracting some high level players who would have otherwise retired from competition. This has left Lisch, Conklin, and Jett as secondary stars in the league as opposed to a few years ago when they were all MVP winners or candidates.

Cody Ellis tried to hook on with an NBL team in the preseason but was unsuccessful.  His career in the top Aussie league may be over and it doesn’t appear that he has a desire to leave his family and play in Europe.  Reggie Agbeko also appears to have retired from organized play, he was in the top league in Denmark last season but I can’t find that he hooked up with another club this year.

Wow, and I thought I had too much free time for posting about grad transfers.... I kid, I kid. Nice work.

11 hours ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

I’ve been to Brno. Nice city. Obviously it’s not Prague, but i thought that it had a nice city center area. Good for Davell.

I'll be there in 3 weeks!  it would be awesome if I ran into Roby out and about.

DeSmetBilliken likes this

11 hours ago, GBL_Bills said:

Besides last season playing in France, where he was the least successful in his career, Mitchell has seemingly always played a step below where he could and also in some very backwoods locales.  If you look up this Russian island, it is very nice, picturesque.  The russian leagues are financed much better than the leagues in eastern europe and the baltic states.  I guarantee Mitchell is flying in private jets to and from games, not riding in buses.  The Russian leagues also pay at a higher rate.  I also think Mitchell is comfortable being the highest paid player on  a lower level team and dominating, than playing in a higher league and making slightly more money while not getting any playing time.  

GBL_Bills likes this

3 hours ago, thetorch said:

Besides last season playing in France, where he was the least successful in his career, Mitchell has seemingly always played a step below where he could and also in some very backwoods locales.  If you look up this Russian island, it is very nice, picturesque.  The russian leagues are financed much better than the leagues in eastern europe and the baltic states.  I guarantee Mitchell is flying in private jets to and from games, not riding in buses.  The Russian leagues also pay at a higher rate.  I also think Mitchell is comfortable being the highest paid player on  a lower level team and dominating, than playing in a higher league and making slightly more money while not getting any playing time.  

How much are we talking salary wise? 

• 3 weeks later...

The resurrection of this thread gave me a place to post this.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25408496/college-football-championship-weekend-dr-pepper-half-toss-chest-pass-sports-lore-now

“Every great sporting event -- actually, every great event period -- has its breakthrough, watershed moment. That instantaneous dividing line between the way they used to do stuff and the way we do it now. Like Oct. 22, 1879, when Thomas Edison brought the first incandescent light bulb to life. Or Sept. 5, 1906, when St. Louis University quarterback Bradbury Robinson threw football's first legal forward pass.”

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for sharing the video clip good for Jordair.

Jordair’s hair has gotten longer.