Porter/Majerus

bills16

Funny, watching CNN Headline News now at the car service station waiting for the oil to be changed and they are showing this segment on the Porter and Majerus relationship. Did not know going into the Loyola's home locker room Porter has a board with all Rick's quotes. Must be 100s of them.

Really good read. Makes you realize how lucky we were to have Rick Majerus as our HC even if for only a short time. Too bad Jim Crews didn't glean as much as Porter did out of his time with the Great One. Hope he writes that book.

If Mack leaves for UL, which is a strange situation all of a sudden, I could see X making a move on Porter. Remember Mack's famous quote about Rick after a SLU win over X , "I was playing checkers while he was playing Chess."

31 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Really good read. Makes you realize how lucky we were to have Rick Majerus as our HC even if for only a short time. Too bad Jim Crews didn't glean as much as Porter did out of his time with the Great One. Hope he writes that book.

If Mack leaves for UL, which is a strange situation all of a sudden, I could see X making a move on Porter. Remember Mack's famous quote about Rick after a SLU win over X , "I was playing checkers while he was playing Chess."

Agree 72,  we were blessed to have Rick as HC. He showed a certain style on how SLU can be successful.

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

Crews problem was he just did not have the desire or energy to put the kind of work in that RM required and obviously Moser is doing.  

28 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Crews problem was he just did not have the desire or energy to put the kind of work in that RM required and obviously Moser is doing.  

nobody in history put in the kind of hours for a college basketball head coach as rickma did.   hardest working coach in history.  every waking moment was pretty much coaching of some sort.  

48 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

nobody in history put in the kind of hours for a college basketball head coach as rickma did.   hardest working coach in history.  every waking moment was pretty much coaching of some sort.  

Well could be but it sure sounds like Moser is trying.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/final-four-2018-the-stories-humble-loyola-chicago-coach-porter-moser-doesnt-want-told/

CBS Sportsline story with Harriman quotes.  Discusses working for Coach Majerus and how Harriman was hired.

brianstl and slufanskip like this

• 1 month later...

Frank interviewed Porter this morning.  Check it out.  Starts about 11:05

https://590thefan.com/porter-moser-talks-cinderella-run-to-final-four/

Highlights:  Loyola is still having trouble scheduling games.  No one wants to play them.

As expected, his summer is completely booked with talks, clinics, appearances.  He was at the Dick Vitale Pediatric Cancer function in Texas and David Robinson came up and introduced himself to Porter.  He was floored that David Robinson knew who he was.

Valley will be better next season, with SIU, Bradley and Ill State all bringing back the majority of their starters/scorers.  He hopes the Valley can get more bids next season.

He cannot understand certain fan base obsession with rating services and 4 star, 5 star players.  He wants players that fit into his system and have good characters.  He couldn't get his seniors invites to the Portsmouth Invitational, yet his team with lesser rated players made the final four.

Loyola is breaking ground on a new practice facility.  He didn't get his parking spot upgraded in his new contract.  He did receive a Final Four chair from the bench.  He said it was his coolest chair in his office.

Gave the Rack of Ribs Majerus story that I've heard before. During a Coach's Show at Chaifetz, they were bringing in some barbeque, including two racks of ribs.  Majerus stopped what he was talking about on the air and claimed dibs to one of the racks.

AGB91 likes this

12 hours ago, AGB91 said:

We should schedule Loyola if they want to play.

We get exposure in Chicago and play a Final Four team.

i don''t see any negatives.

I hope the call was made a long time ago.  Loyola owns Chicago college hoops, for now.  (Moser threw out the opening day pitch at Wrigley, and sang Take Me Out to the Ball Game.)  Strike while the iron is hot.

3 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I hope the call was made a long time ago.  Loyola owns Chicago college hoops, for now.  (Moser threw out the opening day pitch at Wrigley, and sang Take Me Out to the Ball Game.)  Strike while the iron is hot.

I would be all for playing Loyola, but if the Big East team home/home is happening I think that fills the non buy game part of the schedule.

43 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I don't really think this is accurate. Loyola is still behind teams like Illinois, Michigan, Michigan State, and Wisconsin for interest. Additionally, Chicago is a pro sports town. I would hope this year they can actually sell out a home game with their own fans - 5,xxx. 

Throwing out the first pitch and singing the 7th inning stretch is something has done a handful of times as coach of Loyola and ISU. 

28 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

I don't really think this is accurate. Loyola is still behind teams like Illinois, Michigan, Michigan State, and Wisconsin for interest. Additionally, Chicago is a pro sports town. I would hope this year they can actually sell out a home game with their own fans - 5,xxx. 

Throwing out the first pitch and singing the 7th inning stretch is something has done a handful of times as coach of Loyola and ISU. 

Good points - The Cubs need 82 people to throw out the first pitch and to sing in the 7th inning.  Perfect for "flash in the pan" celebrities.  I have no problem playing Loyola but to give them the same treatment for scheduling as a Gonzaga, Creighton, Butler, or WSU is not fair to those programs.  If you want to play Loyola as a replacement team for the one or two Valley teams we play each year then fine.  However, some on this board would have us play Bradley, ISU, SMS, NI, to name a few that keep getting mentioned.  If you want us to be in the Valley for all intents and purposes then just say that that is what you want.  I don't think most on here would agree though.

2 hours ago, JMM28 said:

2 hours ago, cheeseman said:

Good points - The Cubs need 82 people to throw out the first pitch and to sing in the 7th inning.  Perfect for "flash in the pan" celebrities.  I have no problem playing Loyola but to give them the same treatment for scheduling as a Gonzaga, Creighton, Butler, or WSU is not fair to those programs.  If you want to play Loyola as a replacement team for the one or two Valley teams we play each year then fine.  However, some on this board would have us play Bradley, ISU, SMS, NI, to name a few that keep getting mentioned.  If you want us to be in the Valley for all intents and purposes then just say that that is what you want.  I don't think most on here would agree though.

Good comments.  I do agree that Chicago is a pro sports town, just as St. Louis is. 

I said Loyola is hot, NOW, as in this year. Loyola was the NCAA story of the 2018 Final Four. 

Sister Jean actually threw out the first pitch at the Wrigley Home opener.  Huge at Wrigley.  Izzo, Underwood, Beilen, Gard, nope, none of them were asked.  Loyola's Sister Jean was asked.  I don't care to look it up, but how many college basketball coaches have thrown out the opening day pitch at Wrigley.  Not any game, but Opening Day?

I for one would much, much rather have Loyola on our schedule than DePaul.  I'd take Loyola over Rockhurst EVERY DAY.  SEMO, Campbell, no thanks.  I''ll have much more interest in a H and H with the Ramblers.  Just my opinion. 

8 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Sister Jean actually threw out the first pitch at the Wrigley Home opener.  Huge at Wrigley.  Izzo, Underwood, Beilen, Gard, nope, none of them were asked.  Loyola's Sister Jean was asked.  I don't care to look it up, but how many college basketball coaches have thrown out the opening day pitch at Wrigley.  Not any game, but Opening Day?

It was actually scheduled for the 2nd home game, but a rain out caused real opening day to be postponed. Dawson, Sandberg, Billy, and Fergie were throwing out the first pitch on opening day. 

8 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I for one would much, much rather have Loyola on our schedule than DePaul.  I'd take Loyola over Rockhurst EVERY DAY.  SEMO, Campbell, no thanks.  I''ll have much more interest in a H and H with the Ramblers.  Just my opinion. 

I completely agree with this. I would take a H/H with them easily over DePaul. I really think SIU, Loyola, and Bradley should be the MVC schools that SLU rotates playing in whatever fashion.

The thing about Chicago is that there are a lot of ways to get a game in that market. Northwestern, UIC, Loyola, Chicago State (if they exist), DePaul, or a neutral site game at any of the many arenas with another regional team. 

On 5/16/2018 at 9:05 AM, cheeseman said:

There's a way we could play them all twice :) the Tory in me 

• 4 months later...

Moser was on with Frank this week.  Here are a few interesting notes: 

Sister Jean had a bobblehead made.  She has given all of her proceeds to the Loyola Athletic Department.  She is 99 years old.  She is still in a wheel chair due to a fall last year.

Some 'study' conducted since the Final Four assessed the Loyola exposure to be around $1 billion.  That includes just about everything including the kitchen sink.  He compared this to a similar study for George Mason's $3/4 billion from 2006.  Take it or leave it.

Loyola finished 3rd in FG% last season at 50.7%.  They were 20th in 3FG% at 39.6%.  They finished next to last, 349th, in Offensive Rebounds.  Of course, if you hit the shots there is no rebound.  Moser stated he recruits shooters and will take the lack of rebounds as part of his game plan to defend against transition.  {I find this an interesting difference between SLU's shooting/rebounding game plan.}  He repeated (from earlier interviews) that his offense is based on Majerus' scheme of spacing.

He repeated from an earlier interview the difficulty he faced in scheduling this season.  Example:  Big Ten has league 20 games, Plus Gavitt games plus Big Ten/ACC challenge plus typical exempt tourney (multiple games).  "Why would we want to play you guys in addition to this?" He said last season he originally had NC State scheduled on the back end of a H and H.  NC State bought the game out for $150,000.  Loyola ended up going to Florida, where they beat the Gators. Florida wanted no part of a rematch at any location.

Loyola failed to land a single home-and-home series with any P5 schools for this season. The best he could do is accept a check from Maryland for a one-off game -- a buy game -- against the Terrapins in Baltimore.  "Here I am, a Final Four team, getting bought."  The only other 'name' opponent he landed was Nevada, and it was through an existing Mountain West/MO Valley Challenge.  He said getting any Tier I games in the future will have to be through the Valley Conference. That's not a pretty picture.  He did not discuss, nor did Frank ask, about scheduling SLU.

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/thepressbox/2018/09/19/segment-1--opening-monologue-and-porter-moser-91918

Pistol and TheDude like this

Strange that that didn't come up.  Maybe because he was only talking about trying to schedule P5 teams.  I know we aren't P5, but I think  H/H games between them and us would be helpful to both teams SOS and would be well attended at both locations.  Additionally, it would help our Chicago exposure.  I know we talk about Chicago as being one of our target areas for recruiting, but, have we gotten any recruits out of there besides Jacobs?  Bailey might be from there but he hasn't made any fruitful recruiting inroads so an annual game against Loyola couldn't do anything but help.

2 minutes ago, bauman said:

Strange that that didn't come up.  Maybe because he was only talking about trying to schedule P5 teams.  I know we aren't P5, but I think  H/H games between them and us would be helpful to both teams SOS and would be well attended at both locations.  Additionally, it would help our Chicago exposure.  I know we talk about Chicago as being one of our target areas for recruiting, but, have we gotten any recruits out of there besides Jacobs?  Bailey might be from there but he hasn't made any fruitful recruiting inroads so an annual game against Loyola couldn't do anything but help.

I am in total agreement.  I can't see any downside to a H/H with Loyola. 

11 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Moser was on with Frank this week.  Here are a few interesting notes: 

Loyola finished 3rd in FG% last season at 50.7%.  They were 20th in 3FG% at 39.6%.  They finished next to last, 349th, in Offensive Rebounds.  Of course, if you hit the shots there is no rebound.  Moser stated he recruits shooters and will take the lack of rebounds as part of his game plan to defend against transition.  He repeated that his offense is based on Majerus' scheme of spacing.  {I find this an interesting difference between SLU's shooting/rebounding game plan.}

He repeated from an earlier interview the difficulty he faced in scheduling this season.  He couldn't even get buy games with P5 schools.  Example:  Big Ten has league 20 games, Plus Gavitt games plus Big Ten/ACC challenge plus typical exempt tourney (multiple games).  "Why would we want to play you guys in addition to this?" He said last season he originally had NC State scheduled on the back end of a H and H.  NC State bought the game out for $150,000.  Loyola ended up going to Florida, where they beat the Gators. Florida wanted no part of a rematch at any location.

Loyola failed to land a single home-and-home series with any power-conference schools for this season. The best he could do is accept a check from Maryland for a one-off game -- a buy game -- against the Terrapins in Baltimore.  "Here I am, a Final Four team, getting bought."  The only other 'name' opponent he landed was Nevada, and it was through an existing Mountain West/MO Valley Challenge.  He said getting any Tier I games in the future will have to be through the Valley Conference. That's not a pretty picture.  He did not discuss, nor did Frank ask, about scheduling SLU.

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/thepressbox/2018/09/19/segment-1--opening-monologue-and-porter-moser-91918

Yeah, that's Majerus all the way. In our five seasons under Majerus, we finished 331st, 271st, 242nd, 307th, and 201st in offensive rebounding, and none of those teams shot as well as Loyola.

Porter is bringing in some nice players. He has 3 2019 commitments - Marquise Kennedy, a very athletic, versatile PG who chose Loyola over Wichita State and Florida State; Paxson Wojcik, a lights-out shooter; and Thomas Welch, an underrated stretch forward. They should all fit that system well.

I feel bad for him in terms of scheduling. The system is so unbalanced in favor of power schools and I don't know what the answer is.

This season would have been really hard to get Loyola on the schedule.  We already had the back end of four home and homes on the schedule.  Next season if Porter want a home and home with, I believe we will see it happen.  Porter is tight with the right person connected to SLU basketball.  SLU won't avoid Loyola with Porter has the coach.

If Loyola strings together a couple more strong seasons, scheduling will get much easier for them.  That is what happened at VCU and Gonzaga.  Plus, Loyola will have Chicago as selling point when trying to schedule.