Post has article about *48 NIT Championship

BLIKNS

1 hour ago, Deutschkind said:

20170301_213505.jpg

My god that Women's NIT appearances banner looks dumb with such small font and a huge amount of blank space on it.  I assume they are too cheap to buy a new banner, so they want to get their money's worth adding to that one.  Yes, I realize that since this picture was taken they need to add 2017 and 2018, but it still won't fill the banner.  Make the font bigger so that it takes up the whole banner and then get a new f*cking banner if they make another NIT appearance.  With the font size they are currently using, WBB could make the NIT about 18 more times before they need a new banner.

Also stupid that the women's banners say "Women's Basketball" and the men's banners say "Saint Louis University".  I know these are the old banners from Kiel, so they had to say Saint Louis University on them so people knew what they were for at Blues games or concerts or whatever, but now you're playing in your own arena on campus.  People know they're banners for SLU.

While I'm at it, they ought to jazz up the banners a little bit.  Throw the Billiken logo from the time the banner was earned on there and use the official athletics font instead of just the standard.

/end rant.

Pistol, QUAILMAN, TheOne and 1 other like this

11 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

My god that Women's NIT appearances banner looks dumb with such small font and a huge amount of blank space on it.  I assume they are too cheap to buy a new banner, so they want to get their money's worth adding to that one.  Yes, I realize that since this picture was taken they need to add 2017 and 2018, but it still won't fill the banner.  Make the font bigger so that it takes up the whole banner and then get a new f*cking banner if they make another NIT appearance.  With the font size they are currently using, WBB could make the NIT about 18 more times before they need a new banner.

Also stupid that the women's banners say "Women's Basketball" and the men's banners say "Saint Louis University".  I know these are the old banners from Kiel, so they had to say Saint Louis University on them so people knew what they were for at Blues games or concerts or whatever, but now you're playing in your own arena on campus.  People know they're banners for SLU.

While I'm at it, they ought to jazz up the banners a little bit.  Throw the Billiken logo from the time the banner was earned on there and use the official athletics font instead of just the standard.

/end rant.

This.

38 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

/end rant.

Stuff like this is what I'm talking about... 

57 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

/end rant.

Actually these are new banners.  I have some of the banners from Kiel/West Pine.  They were all replaced 2 years after the move to Chaifetz.

35 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Actually these are new banners.  I have some of the banners from Kiel/West Pine.  They were all replaced 2 years after the move to Chaifetz.

That's interesting and also disappointing that they just re-produced the same banners old banners.  At least I remember the Kiel ones looking the same.  I guess you can confirm if they actually do.

On 3/19/2018 at 10:22 PM, White Pelican said:

My parents saw Easy Ed and the 48 NIT team. Dad (born in '21) was a WW2 veteran and went to SLU for a couple of years in the late 40s. Mom was born in '29 and was dating Dad after the war until they married in '49.  A lot of those dates were basketball games at the old Kiel. I saw a few games as a kid but mostly I remember Dad always had the Bills games on the radio (or once in a while on TV) when I was growing up.  That's why I'm a Billiken fan and longtime season ticket holder. (I have no other connection to SLU.)

Dad and I went to the occasional game and then became season ticket holders from around the Bonner NIT years on. Mom died in '05 and we put Dad in a retirement home until he died in 2009. I was busting him out for Bill's games up until the end of the Kielvistrade years. He was getting too weak to get around by then and said he'd had enough. So he never got to see a game at Chaifetz. But he did see the 1948 'National Champion' Billiken team.

Cool. Did HE have any SLU connection to SLU?

10 hours ago, almaman said:

Cool. Did HE have any SLU connection to SLU?

"My parents saw Easy Ed and the 48 NIT team. Dad (born in '21) was a WW2 veteran and went to SLU for a couple of years in the late 40s."

We have some of his test papers, notebooks, etc.  Was taking engineering classes and it's possible the math got to be too much for him according to one of my brothers who went through most of it. I have a couple of ~70 year old blue-covered St. Louis University-branded notebooks.

Somewhere we have some pictures of the 1948 Homecoming Parade taken downtown at 12th and Market as the parade turned to go west on Market. The football opponent that day was......wait for it.....the Brown Injuns of St. Bonaventure, a proud member of the Western New York Little Three Conference.

The pictures (black and white) are not that great as the tops of the scenes are kind of cut off. Don't know if it was operator error or poor printing. I haven't seen them in some time but I recall cars (and maybe trucks) decorated with crepe paper and signs.

Never bothered before but just did some googling. The date was Saturday Oct. 30, 1948 and the Bonnies prevailed 21-0.  (But earlier on Friday Oct. 15 SLU beat Rockhurst 31-7. Wonder if it counted?)

18 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

/end rant.

Agreed - they should move the banners to the middle so they are more easily seen by everyone.  I dont have time now but google the marquette banners if you can - they look really cool.

18 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

/end rant.

Agree with 100% of this. The men's and women's banners don't match, the font sizes are all over the place, there's no attention paid to design or layout. They're worse than the City-County championship banners that hung in my (now-closed) grade school gym in South City. They just look cheap.

I like how they do the banners at Xavier. All banners are the same size and have the same appearance - a big X followed by "Men's Basketball" or "Women's Basketball", then the achievement, and the years. They create a nice effect with the game lights. (Granted, the program needs to accomplish more to do this well, but it's still a template.)

2013-12-31_StJohns_Cintas.jpg

Cintas.jpg

There is no question that SLU was the national champion in 1947/48.  The competition in the NIT was much better at the time.  The following year, the very first AP rankings came out and guess who was Number 1; not Kentucky, it was the Billikens.

I totally agree with changing the banner to say "National Champions."  Even if it stirs up debate, we have the stronger argument, and getting people talking about that championship will only be a good thing.

Yea I agree our banners need to be updated.  Looking at Marquette's, it looks like for retired jersey's they have pictures of the players on them.  I think that would look nice so you can see the different jersey's depending on when the player played.  They need to add a few of them anyways including Claggett and Jett.  

image.png.4cd9c51fe32dda3805791d8e85785db5.png

51 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Agree with 100% of this. The men's and women's banners don't match, the font sizes are all over the place, there's no attention paid to design or layout. They're worse than the City-County championship banners that hung in my (now-closed) grade school gym in South City. They just look cheap.

I like how they do the banners at Xavier. All banners are the same size and have the same appearance - a big X followed by "Men's Basketball" or "Women's Basketball", then the achievement, and the years. They create a nice effect with the game lights. (Granted, the program needs to accomplish more to do this well, but it's still a template.)

Thanks for sharing the Xavier example.  Our program might not have the same cache as Xavier currently does, but we should at least get small stuff like this on par or better than them.

50 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Thanks for sharing the Xavier example.  Our program might not have the same cache as Xavier currently does, but we should at least get small stuff like this on par or better than them.

-we seem to miss getting this stuff correct too often.....

I agree the banners hanging from the center of arenas look cool. However, the way our scoreboards are configured in the upper corners may preclude us from doing it that way due to sightline blockage, especially for folks in the upper bowl.

24 minutes ago, White Pelican said:

I agree the banners hanging from the center of arenas look cool. However, the way our scoreboards are configured in the upper corners may preclude us from doing it that way due to sightline blockage, especially for folks in the upper bowl.

Hmmm. You may have a point.

NIMMOBHQESMUXQK_20110829204905.jpg

ChaifetzCrowd.jpg

-Pistol, thanks for the picture of a nearly full arena, I hope we see that many times in the upcoming season, looks like we are beating SVU in that pic, sweet

-also, ribbon board opposite the benches, I don't remember those, how long ago was this game? I see the former band director, no circle in the lane for charge/block and the old Billiken at center court

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

Hmmm. You may have a point.

NIMMOBHQESMUXQK_20110829204905.jpg

ChaifetzCrowd.jpg

That set up was for the first season at Chaifetz. I can’t remember if it lasted the whole season.  Also, on the end with the men’s basketball banners they have a black curtain that partially obstructs the upper half of the banners. 

On 3/19/2018 at 8:30 PM, Spoon-Balls said:

If someone in AD marketing was competent enough, they could make some sort of video montage for looking back at the history and the tradition of SLU basketball.  Similar to this Blues intro video from 2012:

You think a program that employs Gus as a public address announcer has the foresight and vision to do a historical montage video like this?

Spoon-Balls likes this