best Jesuit basketball program

papal

I believe there are 3 Jesuit schools remaining in the tournament: Xavier, Gonzaga, Joyola Chicago (appropriate typo).  Georgetown used to be best program.  Hopefully we can emulate in future. Gonzaga has probably been the best of these programs in recent years with Xavier a close 2nd.  Creighton is good.  Detroit beat us this year.  Where do we rank in basketball among Jesuit schools?  Biondi wanted us to become the Georgetown of Jesuit schools academically.  He also wanted us to become successful in basketball.  That's why he hired Majerus and part of the reason he built Chaifetz.

3 hours ago, papal said:

I believe there are 3 Jesuit schools remaining in the tournament: Xavier, Gonzaga, Joyola Chicago (appropriate typo).  Georgetown used to be best program.  Hopefully we can emulate in future. Gonzaga has probably been the best of these programs in recent years with Xavier a close 2nd.  Creighton is good.  Detroit beat us this year.  Where do we rank in basketball among Jesuit schools?  Biondi wanted us to become the Georgetown of Jesuit schools academically.  He also wanted us to become successful in basketball.  That's why he hired Majerus and part of the reason he built Chaifetz.

Biondi said he wanted to be a top 50 program. All talk. Wasn’t willing to put up the money or effort to make it happen. Don’t give me the Majerus hiring. 15 years late and Rick was dropped in his lap. Many don’t want to hear this but our commitment has never been higher. From facilities to charters to coaches salaries. Just count the suits sitting on the bench. Everything is in place for a good run. I do hope they have learned from situation II and there will be administrative reform. 

6 minutes ago, willie said:

Biondi said he wanted to be a top 50 program. All talk. Wasn’t willing to put up the money or effort to make it happen. Don’t give me the Majerus hiring. 15 years late and Rick was dropped in his lap. Many don’t want to hear this but our commitment has never been higher. From facilities to charters to coaches salaries. Just count the suits sitting on the bench. Everything is in place for a good run. I do hope they have learned from situation II and there will be administrative reform. 

This is literally the only hope the program has. The commitment has never been there in the past. 

Villanova is not Jesuit but you have to include them as well --- giving their derivative.  My buddy crowns a de facto "Catholic" champ every year given who lasts longest.  Most have religious roots of course ...... those mentioned, plus guys like La Salle, St. John's, St.Mary's, Dayton, DePaul, us, etc.  Last one to lose in the Dance wins.

9 hours ago, willie said:

Hopefully yes. But why would SLU learn from Situation II when they didn’t from Situation I?

SLU_Lax likes this

Agree with willie.

Back in the late 70's, I wanted to hire the Rickma.

When he was hired at SLU, willie told me I got my wish.

Even though a little late.

Was not sure about the TF hire.

Good recruiter, questionable bench coach.

After this year, I am on board.

The UK alums in Fl. are extremely high on TF.

They follow the Bills closely.

The future looks great.

15 hours ago, 14drtoe said:

Agree with willie.

Back in the late 70's, I wanted to hire the Rickma.

When he was hired at SLU, willie told me I got my wish.

Even though a little late.

Was not sure about the TF hire.

Good recruiter, questionable bench coach.

After this year, I am on board.

The UK alums in Fl. are extremely high on TF.

They follow the Bills closely.

The future looks great.

Trollpants ^^

Trying to start out on a good note with his new profile.