Maybe one day we can get where Loyola has gotten

Just now, cheeseman said:

They were not interested because they knew the answer would have been no. 

No reason to start a forum pissing match over this so I'll make this my last response no matter what, but I would need evidence that this was the case.  Fundraising is always complicated and political.  And, the fundraisers know who they can go to and what they can go to them for.

• Quality Is Job 1 changed the title to Maybe one day we can get where Loyola has gotten
  • Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I vote this thread be shut down. Wanting to be Loyola can't be viewed as a positive by our team and others who casually peruse the board. We don't want to be Loyola of Chicago, unless you want to play in the MVC and go to the dance every 30 years or so. Yes, I'll tip my Bills cap to Porter and what his team has accomplished. Hell, I hope they win the whole enchilada. It would be great for College hoops. I pray, though,  it doesn't give their 90 year old nun a heart attack if they do pull off a miracle.

In the end we just want to be the Saint Louis Billikens who someday will avoid the self inflicted wounds we've inflicted over the past 50 years or so and become a consistent competitive team every season. Where making the dance is not some pie in the sky dream but a reasonable expectation every season. Once we get in the dance the team plays their hearts out and gets a few lucky breaks along the way. I look at the Majerus years when we made the dance, we never really had an easy road right from the first game, save for NMState. In '12 Memphis came in to the tourney en fuego, but we won. And got the chance to play the #1 seed MSU. In 13 after winning we get a red hot Oregon team that suddenly becomes the best shooting 3 team in the country. In '14 we get an NC State team that's on a roll, but somehow we find a way to win that first game. Next team up the defending champs UL and their pressing D that would wear down a team with a 9 man rotation. But what's discouraging to us is we get these 2 and 3 year runs and then go underground for a stretch. Hopefully, Travis Ford and his staff are going to turn this around and we'll be that every year type of team.

I know this thread was kind of tongue in cheek, but I really think it should be removed. Makes us look like wannabes when all we've really been striving for these many years is our own identity as a solid program year in and year out.  

Not gonna shut it down or remove it, but I've modified the title for you.

31 minutes ago, WUH said:

Do you have a source for this or are you simply comparing coaching salaries?  And considering the Koch money?

Loyola has changed in recent years.

For example, they are adding a $18 million dollar practice facility that is only basketball and volleyball.

http://loyolaphoenix.com/2018/02/loyola-build-18-5-million-athletics-practice-facility/

I wasn't comparing salaries or Koch brother donations.  I was simply looking at the size of their budgets and facilities.  Wichita State has an athletic budget of somewhere between $25 - 27 million.  Of that, I think $8.6m approximately goes to the Men's basketball team.

http://www.kansas.com/sports/college/wichita-state/article148119174.html

Loyola I think has a budget about half that size.  And I don't know how reliable this link is but it shows the entire men's budget at under $4M

https://www.collegefactual.com/colleges/loyola-university-chicago/student-life/sports/

The women actually have a larger budget at Loyola according to the link.

Needless to say, in both appearance and perception, Wichita State spends way more on athletics than Loyola.

43 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Once again you missed my point - I am not saying that other presidents don't restrict fund raising from time to time for the greater good.  Biondi simply was always going to say no since he wanted to tap the donors himself.  If the AD wanted to raise money for a new locker room as they did this past year I can assure you that Biondi would have said no.  I remember when he reneged on the charter flight promise to RM, I called the athletic administration and asked could a fundraiser be done to raise money for the flights among donors and the answer was not going to happen.

Biondi would not allow a fundraising  campaign for an arena until  he had the funding for the Doisey research center in place.  

Getting back to Loyola's run here - will be at the game tomorrow night sporting SLU gear in support of our Jesuit brethren. Looking forward to seeing the atmosphere two solid fan bases will generate at Philips Arena. ATL hosting Final Four at the Benz in '20, so an early warm-up for the city, albeit a different facility.

1 hour ago, WUH said:

No reason to start a forum pissing match over this so I'll make this my last response no matter what, but I would need evidence that this was the case.  Fundraising is always complicated and political.  And, the fundraisers know who they can go to and what they can go to them for.

I know all about fundraising - did a lot over the years.  I understand that when a school is undertaking a big money drive for the overall operations of the school like SLU is in it makes sense not to have competing drives going on.  This year Dr. P allowed the AD to raise money for the locker rooms while he was in the middle of a big fund raising program.  He understood that the people who were going to give the money for the locker rooms would not be motivated in the same way for his once they had already given to his.  All I was trying to say was the under no circumstances would Biondi have allowed this to happen.  This is my last word on the topic given that you simply are stuck on one track.

2 hours ago, Pistol said:

When a line like this:

But then the “Dear Cheetos” thread happened and there was outright bragging and celebration over those attempts. That confirmed everything I had feared.

Is written by the moderator of a message board with the utmost seriousness, you know things have gotten bleak.

Then the whispers of the possibility of a coaching change started to be heard. At this point, I did something I swore from Day 1 I would never do. I allowed outside voices to influence the content of this site. I still feel dirty about it to this day, but I told myself that if it could possibly help the removal of Barry and salvage this program, it would all be worth it. I asked for the help from the moderators, they didn’t like the feel of it either. But I made the call.

This site, namely me, made a gamble with the devil and lost. If everything I just laid out had aided in a coaching change this site probably could have survived. I probably could have lived with myself over that decision. But as it stands, with Hinson remaining and the integrity of this site compromised, it just can’t exist anymore. 

It reads like some sort of Shakespearean tragedy. These are tough times for Saluki fans everywhere. 

12 minutes ago, Spoon-Balls said:

Then the whispers of the possibility of a coaching change started to be heard. At this point, I did something I swore from Day 1 I would never do. I allowed outside voices to influence the content of this site. I still feel dirty about it to this day, but I told myself that if it could possibly help the removal of Barry and salvage this program, it would all be worth it. I asked for the help from the moderators, they didn’t like the feel of it either. But I made the call.

This site, namely me, made a gamble with the devil and lost. If everything I just laid out had aided in a coaching change this site probably could have survived. I probably could have lived with myself over that decision. But as it stands, with Hinson remaining and the integrity of this site compromised, it just can’t exist anymore. 

It reads like some sort of Shakespearean tragedy. These are tough times for Saluki fans everywhere. 

so what happened here? I'm still confused.

3 hours ago, brianstl said:

The great thing for Loyola and KSU fans is that if they can get to Atlanta, ticket prices are dropping dramatically.

$50 for 300 level seats, which were my season tix spot for the Hawks home games. Not bad as far as sightlines are concerned. 

8 hours ago, Matty Light said:

I wasn't comparing salaries or Koch brother donations.  I was simply looking at the size of their budgets and facilities.  Wichita State has an athletic budget of somewhere between $25 - 27 million.  Of that, I think $8.6m approximately goes to the Men's basketball team.

http://www.kansas.com/sports/college/wichita-state/article148119174.html

Loyola I think has a budget about half that size.  And I don't know how reliable this link is but it shows the entire men's budget at under $4M

https://www.collegefactual.com/colleges/loyola-university-chicago/student-life/sports/

The women actually have a larger budget at Loyola according to the link.

Needless to say, in both appearance and perception, Wichita State spends way more on athletics than Loyola.

Witchita State certainly spends more, but I would be interested in the difference. Unfortunately, I do not trust that website.  It still says Loyola is in the Horizon League.

Loyola has been investing a lot more in athletics in recent years.  That was my point.

I've talked to enough people who were a lot closer to me to the program and inner workings when Coach Majerus had to step down and before that. Chris May is apparently so insecure that he wouldn't have been able to control Porter Moser and is scared of anyone he couldn't control. Coach Majerus would not allow May to just pop in his office I've heard and many people have confirmed that as fact over the years. Majerus treated him like a pest. Weak leader, insecure and afraid is what we settle for, this whole Loyola run, situation 1 and 2, not getting into Big East and giving Crews that contract is the results we own after 10 years. Go Ramblers! And Go Bills! 

Spoon-Balls likes this

15 minutes ago, Billy Ken said:

I've talked to enough people who were a lot closer to me to the program and inner workings when Coach Majerus had to step down and before that. Chris May is apparently so insecure that he wouldn't have been able to control Porter Moser and is scared of anyone he couldn't control. Coach Majerus would not allow May to just pop in his office I've heard and many people have confirmed that as fact over the years. Majerus treated him like a pest. Weak leader, insecure and afraid is what we settle for, this whole Loyola run, situation 1 and 2, not getting into Big East and giving Crews that contract is the results we own after 10 years. Go Ramblers! And Go Bills! 

Feels like every time I read a super strong anti Chris May post, and then go back to the top to see who wrote it, you are the one. Congratulations...I guess.

20 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Did you miss the part where rick encouraged porter to take the job? 

Play the “what if Loyola didn’t offer Porter” hypothetical and it’s not much of a stretch at all to say he’d currently be our coach.

Doesn’t mean we’d be in the final 4 of course, but still...

3 minutes ago, kshoe said:

Play the “what if Loyola didn’t offer Porter” hypothetical and it’s not much of a stretch at all to say he’d currently be our coach.

Doesn’t mean we’d be in the final 4 of course, but still...

I understand that . I also understand that it isn't a stretch that the Chris May didn't like porter story is fairly on the nose.

57 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Did you miss the part where rick encouraged porter to take the job? 

I fully understood that he took the job and that Rick had encouraged him too. I was simply saying that if things had gone differently, if Majerus had asked Porter to stick around because he wasn't sure how much longer he would be able to coach, if Porter had just decided he would rather help out with a few more deep tournament runs... He might have ended up being our head coach. Not to mention, we might have still been able to hire him after the 13-14 season. But I don't think he was ever viewed as a more viable option than Jim Crews (a 5 year contract for Crews showed that). I actually wasn't bashing anyone with that post, simply wallowing in my own misery as a Billikens fan.