Maybe one day we can get where Loyola has gotten

10 hours ago, thetorch said:

This if Moser was here topic is really innane. Who cares.

I agree this is crazy talk.

May would have to had the wisdom of Nostradamus and the guts to go along with it for him to hire Porter after the 12-13 season.

Majerus literally rescues Porter from Ill State. Porters Valley record at Ill State for 4 yrs is 22-50. Crews is selected as interim for the 12-13 season and has a COY season. Porter at that point has a Horizon record at Loyola 6-28. No way.

I am just wondering, I seem to recall after the Michigan State game, Majerus last act before he kind of disappears is he appoints Whitsell as associate. Did Majerus appoint Crews to be his heir or Whitsell? Or, was it May that appointed Crews as the interim to spite Majerus (if Bill Ken is right about the relation between Majerus and May)? I always got the feeling, just watching the T/O huddles that Crews and Whitsell's chemistry was not the greatest. Whitsell soon moves on to work for Lavin at St John's and then Buffalo as an associate coach, which has done pretty nicely. Crews, when Majerus hired him was completely out of basketball and when he was fired here returned to being completely out of basketball. Maybe Majerus after one year with Crews thought he was not HC material which we all later found out.   

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/26/2013 at 11:26 AM, brianstl said:

It isn't a disgrace to suggest you would like to see someone beside Crews as the next coach. Crews is the safe choice and better than many of the names that have been brought up over the past few months. That said, there are plenty of solid reason to wonder if he really is the right guy for the job. You can start with the fact he has never built a consistent NCAA tourney program in all of his years as a head coach and he hasn't been part of building or maintaining won since he left IU 30 years ago.

1 hour ago, Duff Man said:

If Loyola hadn't hired Moser someone else would have immediately after the 2011-12 season before Majerus' medical leave of absence.

Also, Crews replaced Jensen not Moser. Whitesell replaced Moser as associate head coach and they still went with Crews.

also, in defense of Crews

Still the only SLU coach to win an outright regular season conference title since Eddie Hickey....and he did it twice. Also one of 2 SLU coaches ever to win a conference tournament.

Yeah, he wasn't up to the task at recruiting...but at least he salvaged the last 2 years of the Jett/Evans/McCall/Loe nucleus and got the program into the top 10 in the polls.

If you want to bash him fine, but please provide the link to your post from spring 2013 where you said he shouldn't be retained.

1 hour ago, JeffinMH said:

So many Crews haters.  

Jim Crews accolades:

Awards

3× MCC Coach of the Year (1987, 1989, 1992)
MVC Coach of the Year (1999)
2× Atlantic 10 Coach of the Year (2013, 2014)
Sporting News National Coach of the Year (2013)
NABC Coach of the Year (2013)

I guess nobody was too hard on him in 2013/2014! Funny how our memories work.

I certainly don’t remember all of these board members opposing the Crews hire. 

3 minutes ago, willie said:

People keep saying this. Yeah, sure, May was in a tough spot. I get it. But looking back - it was a terrible f'n hire. No revisionist history is needed to show he set the program back years if not decades.

This board could have collectively coached those NCAA teams and done as well as Crews. He doesn't deserve a medal for not screwing up a self-driving machine.

brianstl likes this

4 minutes ago, brianstl said:

It isn't a disgrace to suggest you would like to see someone beside Crews as the next coach. Crews is the safe choice and better than many of the names that have been brought up over the past few months. That said, there are plenty of solid reason to wonder if he really is the right guy for the job. You can start with the fact he has never built a consistent NCAA tourney program in all of his years as a head coach and he hasn't been part of building or maintaining won since he left IU 30 years ago.

1 minute ago, willie said:

There were more than a few voices in the wilderness (thank you, Brianstl for actually digging it out) but the overall narrative was "WHAT IS TAKING SO LONG TO NAME CREWS THE PERMANENT HC?!? THIS IS UNDERCUTTING HIS RECRUITING!!!!"

The thing that never comes up is, who could they have hired instead of Crews and how would it have played in the locker room?

If there's any chance it would have derailed the 2013-14 season, I'd have still rolled the dice with Crews. Flags fly forever and that 2014 A10 season where Jordair was basically a poor man's MJ at the end of every game was worth risking a few bad years on the tail end.

4 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

This board could have collectively coached those NCAA teams and done as well as Crews. He doesn't deserve a medal for not screwing up a self-driving machine.

Honest question, RiseAndGrind, what is the highest level of basketball you have coached and how many seasons?

BrockL likes this

11 minutes ago, Duff Man said:

And based on that you think you could have run a Brad Stevens team (ranked in the top 10 at the time) off the floor like Crews did?

Probably. 

yes, my obviously hyperbolic statement should be used to defend jim crews.  You for real? Also, i said this board collectively. I would definitely trust this board’s collective intelligence over Jim Crew’s mastermind.

crews was among  the worst things to happen to SLU basketball 

I think any mbm could have coached and won with the two rosters crews coached the first two years he was in charge.   The only thing crews did right those two years is he stayed out of their way and concentrated in timeouts on making sure the players had plenty of water to drink 

8 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

I think any mbm could have coached and won with the two rosters crews coached the first two years he was in charge.   The only thing crews did right those two years is he stayed out of their way and concentrated in timeouts on making sure the players had plenty of water to drink 

In all seriousness, what's the highest level of ball you've coached, Broy?

21 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

You don't have to be a chicken to know what an egg is.  Pointing to that people on this board have never been a D1 coach so their opinion then is invalid is just a dumb position.

I didn't say someone needed to be a D1 coach. I asked what's the highest level of basketball you've coached...and that questions goes to you as well...

Did you coach youth basketball? High school? Non D1 college?

I'm just curious if people who think coaching is so easy have actually coached ball for real or not...seems like a fair question...I know it goes against the Crews was the worst ever narrative that many regulars here continue to jerk each other off with...sorry to interrupt

10 minutes ago, Duff Man said:

I didn't say someone needed to be a D1 coach. I asked what's the highest level of basketball you've coached...and that questions goes to you as well...

I'm just curious if people who think coaching is so easy have actually coached ball for real or not...seems like a fair question...I know it goes against the Crews was the worst ever narrative that many regulars here continue to jerk each other off with...sorry to interrupt

You know what doesn’t go against the narrative? He took a diamond and turned it into a turd. 

My initial statement goes - you don't have to be a chicken to know an egg.  Your question is the oldest straw man out there.  If you have to have done something before you can question it then I guess we just have to accept everything a president does since only 45 people have been president and most of them are dead.

You can search my posts.  I was not on board with the initial hiring of Crews.  With his record on and off the court at Army he wasn't fit to be an Asst here.  Several other posters agreed at the time.  Once again when the national prognositcators started asking why wasn't Crews given an extension or the interim tag removed during our winning streak I questioned that as well, along with several other posters.  At best the thoughts on hiring Crews as Head Coach were met with a shrug of the shoulders, how could we not give him an extension but there certainly was not tacit approval of his hiring.  Why several years later are posters trying to change the plot here?  Crews is comfortably retired.  He took SLU for a lot of money.  No one needs to whitewash his history here.

I don't need to coach D-1 basketball to know that Crews 1. Coached the worst years in SLU HISTORY.  No one had worse teams. 2. He put together the WORST staff in SLU history.  3. His coaching style alienated the greatest teams in my lifetime and led to them underachieving.  All this whining about Louisville and Oregon being underseeded is bunk.  We were better than those teams and should have beat them.  We had sweet sixteen talent.  Crews ran the roster into the ground and we were not ready to win games in the NCAA.  We had the best closer in college basketball and Crews gassed him running sprints in the hotel ballroom hours before the game.  

billikenfan05 likes this

1 hour ago, thetorch said:

You can search my posts.  I was not on board with the initial hiring of Crews.  With his record on and off the court at Army he wasn't fit to be an Asst here.  Several other posters agreed at the time.  Once again when the national prognositcators started asking why wasn't Crews given an extension or the interim tag removed during our winning streak I questioned that as well, along with several other posters.  At best the thoughts on hiring Crews as Head Coach were met with a shrug of the shoulders, how could we not give him an extension but there certainly was not tacit approval of his hiring.  Why several years later are posters trying to change the plot here?  Crews is comfortably retired.  He took SLU for a lot of money.  No one needs to whitewash his history here.

I don't need to coach D-1 basketball to know that Crews 1. Coached the worst years in SLU HISTORY.  No one had worse teams. 2. He put together the WORST staff in SLU history.  3. His coaching style alienated the greatest teams in my lifetime and led to them underachieving.  All this whining about Louisville and Oregon being underseeded is bunk.  We were better than those teams and should have beat them.  We had sweet sixteen talent.  Crews ran the roster into the ground and we were not ready to win games in the NCAA.  We had the best closer in college basketball and Crews gassed him running sprints in the hotel ballroom hours before the game.  

If I heard this about running sprints I have forgotten - why, was it punishment or what.

4 hours ago, Duff Man said:

No one said coaching is easy but crews was a horrible coach that only achieved success at slu with a supremely prepared rotation handed to him.  Thereafter he completely fuocked up the billikens.  Your defense of crews un any way sure makes me wonder about your basketball knowledge. 

9 hours ago, Duff Man said:

If Loyola hadn't hired Moser someone else would have immediately after the 2011-12 season before Majerus' medical leave of absence.

Also, Crews replaced Jensen not Moser. Whitesell replaced Moser as associate head coach and they still went with Crews.

also, in defense of Crews

Still the only SLU coach to win an outright regular season conference title since Eddie Hickey....and he did it twice. Also one of 2 SLU coaches ever to win a conference tournament.

Yeah, he wasn't up to the task at recruiting...but at least he salvaged the last 2 years of the Jett/Evans/McCall/Loe nucleus and got the program into the top 10 in the polls.

If you want to bash him fine, but please provide the link to your post from spring 2013 where you said he shouldn't be retained.

Here's a link to a post of mine from 2013 outlining my concerns re: Crews.

4 hours ago, cheeseman said:

If I heard this about running sprints I have forgotten - why, was it punishment or what.

It came out much later. Crews and Platt decided morning of the nc state and Louisville games instead of just a walk through they would do a full conditioning practice. Multiple players were hurt and needed rest. One of the practices ended with Jett throwing a ball at Platt. Team was barely hanging on physically and has since made it known that they didn't stand a chance of lasting through a game after running boot camp style drills for hours on that weekend.

17 minutes ago, thetorch said:

It came out much later. Crews and Platt decided morning of the nc state and Louisville games instead of just a walk through they would do a full conditioning practice. Multiple players were hurt and needed rest. One of the practices ended with Jett throwing a ball at Platt. Team was barely hanging on physically and has since made it known that they didn't stand a chance of lasting through a game after running boot camp style drills for hours on that weekend.

OMG  that is unbelievable - thanks

Still remember watching a game on TV on a night all my relatives were over for some sort of family gathering and my then 85 year old mother remarked " Why dont the billikens try to rebound on free throws?"  

Before I could answer she added, "Are they stupid or something?"   

I told her, "Just the coach."