Maybe one day we can get where Loyola has gotten

13 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I know people at Drake thinks it sucks right now, but this is much better than hiring a mediocre guy or whiffing on the hire.  Good candidates will look at Drake as a place they can really continue on an upward trajectory.

Niko brought Furman, a traditional SoCon bottom feeder, to respectability in that league. So he had two very challenging jobs and did reasonably okay. He could be an up and comer.  

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/20/2018 at 9:23 AM, Spoon-Balls said:

The easy excuse at the time was that "it would have looked bad to not give Crews an extension" after his two years of success. That attitude was precisely the problem with how Chris May bungled the whole thing. He didn't have the balls to say, "Thank you for your service, Jim Crews, but we're moving on." Instead Crews gets a 5 year contract. In my opinion, May still doesn't get enough blame for the catastrophe of SLU basketball 2014-2016. Most universities would have fired their AD's after something of the sort. 

This and Big East and the guy still is at SLU. Definition of insanity. Crews could coach, but couldn't recruit. My 90 year old mother said that when he was hired! She is a die-hard lifer Hoosier fan. How did AD not know that? Crews won with players Harriman and Moser recruited and Whitesell was the brains of the operation behind Coach Majerus. Then again, maybe AD didn't make call in Crews, Chaifetz hired Ford and WWT guys hired new soccer coach. What do I know.

9 hours ago, Billy Ken said:

This and Big East and the guy still is at SLU. Definition of insanity. Crews could coach, but couldn't recruit. My 90 year old mother said that when he was hired! She is a die-hard lifer Hoosier fan. How did AD not know that? Crews won with players Harriman and Moser recruited and Whitesell was the brains of the operation behind Coach Majerus. Then again, maybe AD didn't make call in Crews, Chaifetz hired Ford and WWT guys hired new soccer coach. What do I know.

Not sure what you know but when you say Crews could coach you show that you don't know much.  Crews was suppose to be a good X an O guy but he was clearly over matched here.

On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 8:25 PM, billikenblue said:

Rick was in a serious health condition much earlier than the public knew and was actually in the hospital praying for a heart to be donated . I personally know that Rick from my many talks with him  did not bring  Crews in  to be his successor.

I still think Rick knew he was in serious trouble during the '12 NCAA appearance. I also think the team knew something. Can never forget Conk's tears at that presser. I think he not only knew they lost a toughie to #1 seed MSU, but that may have been the last game the Great One would ever coach.

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

I still think Rick knew he was in serious trouble during the '12 NCAA appearance. I also think the team knew something. Can never forget Conk's tears at that presser. I think he not only knew they lost a toughie to #1 seed MSU, but that may have been the last game the Great One would ever coach.

That’s fine and all but Porter left a year earlier for Loyola. It’s not hard to imagine a scenario where he doesn’t get offered Loyola, he’s the one that takes over when Majerus gets sick and he recruits his ass off to keep us relevant. Sometimes luck plays a very large role in how things turn out and we were just plain unlucky that he left when he did.

RiseAndGrind likes this

7 minutes ago, kshoe said:

That’s fine and all but Porter left a year earlier for Loyola. It’s not hard to imagine a scenario where he doesn’t get offered Loyola, he’s the one that takes over when Majerus gets sick and he recruits his ass off to keep us relevant. Sometimes luck plays a very large role in how things turn out and we were just plain unlucky that he left when he did.

Speaking of luck, Porter is very fortunate that Loyola stuck with him as long as they did. In his previous six seasons he had never sniffed the NCAA Tournament. Never finished higher than 5th in his league.

If Moser had a record like that his first six years here, most people would have been calling for his head. I don't think he would have gotten past year 5. Loyola's patience has been rewarded.

almaman likes this

11 minutes ago, ACE said:

Speaking of luck, Porter is very fortunate that Loyola stuck with him as long as they did. In his previous six seasons he had never sniffed the NCAA Tournament. Never finished higher than 5th in his league.

If Moser had a record like that his first six years here, most people would have been calling for his head. I don't think he would have gotten past year 5. Loyola's patience has been rewarded.

Is he lucky or did Loyola just assume they couldn’t do better for what they could afford 

12 minutes ago, ACE said:

Loyola is in its first tournament since 1985.  They moved from the Horizon to the MVC.  There alot of reasons the Ramblers were more patient then we would have been.

4 minutes ago, TaLBErt said:

I wish we had something like the Loyola scarves. I'm sure everyone is making fun of it but I think it's kinda cool.

Agreed, although it's tough to compete with Gryffindor colors.

johnbj14 likes this

32 minutes ago, ACE said:

Maybe Creighton and WSU bowing out of one of the better conferences in all the land helped? 

2 hours ago, cheeseman said:

Not sure what you know but when you say Crews could coach you show that you don't know much.  Crews was suppose to be a good X an O guy but he was clearly over matched here.

Crews can coach, he can't and never could recruit! That's my point. He actually was a good x and o coach that's why Majerus had him there. He wasn't at slu to recruit. So when he was hired what in his coaching career made AD think he was going to be different at SLU??? That is my point. 

25 minutes ago, ACE said:

05 and Milwaukeebill make good points. Loyola is a longer rebuild than SLU. Lower conference (even with the move), lower budget, facilities are a step down. You can get fired in 3 years or less if you don't show results at a power conference school, and Jim Crews *technically* did it in 4 at SLU, although that wasn't a normal coaching transition.

Loyola went 7-23 and 1-17 in conference in Moser's first season. It was a total rebuild. He had them close to .500 the next season, made the jump to the Valley, had another down year, and then posted 23 wins in his fourth year. He graduated a bunch of talent, record went down again, and two seasons later, here we are.

Loyola doesn't have the luxury of giving guys 3 years to show results before firing them, buying guys out of contracts, or any of the other things you see at more big-time schools. They hadn't made the Tournament since 1985. They hadn't won their league since 1987. They had just one 20-win season between 1985 and Moser's tenure. He doesn't have the resources at Loyola for a quick turnaround, whereas he'd have more advantages - and yes, more pressure - the higher up he goes.

Plus, had he been around to take the SLU job instead of Crews, it wouldn't have been a total rebuild. He just needed to have some actual talent behind the Jett-McCall-Loe-Evans class for continuity.

By the way, if Porter does stay at Loyola, they're going to own the MVC for a while.

He has 5 guys who average double figures, and none average more than 13.4 PPG. His seniors are the #2, 4, and 6 scorers in the rotation. His PG and big man are a junior and freshman, respectively. And while the three top seniors are tough to replace, he has a very good PF coming in (Frank Agunanne), two solid guards, and after this run, he has the chance to fill the last spot (or more, depending on transfers) with a spring steal like Drew Peterson or Kevin Easley.

So they should be solid for a while...if he stays.

5 minutes ago, Pistol said:

By the way, if Porter does stay at Loyola, they're going to own the MVC for a while.

He has 5 guys who average double figures, and none average more than 13.4 PPG. His seniors are the #2, 4, and 6 scorers in the rotation. His PG and big man are a junior and freshman, respectively. And while the three top seniors are tough to replace, he has a very good PF coming in (Frank Agunanne), two solid guards, and after this run, he has the chance to fill the last spot (or more, depending on transfers) with a spring steal like Drew Peterson or Kevin Easley.

So they should be solid for a while...if he stays.

I believe they have a 4* fr who didnt even really play this year.

1 minute ago, TaLBErt said:

If they do own the MVC for a while, they could become the next Butler, VCU, or Wichita State. These deep tournament runs can be a launch pad for bigger and better things for schools. Sometimes its better to be lucky than good.

being the best team in Chicago doesn't hurt either

30 minutes ago, milwaukeebill said:

Loyola is in its first tournament since 1985.  They moved from the Horizon to the MVC.  There alot of reasons the Ramblers were more patient then we would have been.

I didn't mean it as a knock on Porter, BTW. He did an excellent job when he was here and our recruiting suffered after he left. It's just interesting how things play out. If the kid on Miami makes a couple free throws at the end, we're not even talking about this. I hope Porter can be the top dog in the MVC for a while. We'll see if job offers start rolling in.

6 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I believe they have a 4* fr who didnt even really play this year.

Christian Negron. He tore his ACL going into his senior HS season and hasn't fully recovered, from what I can tell. He played very, very limited minutes this season, appearing for just a few minutes in about half of their games. If he can get back to 100%, look out. He was a Big Ten recruit before he went down.

They also had the freshman of the year in the conference (Krutwig, the big beefy guy) and another all-freshman team player.

31 minutes ago, Billy Ken said:

Crews can coach, he can't and never could recruit! That's my point. He actually was a good x and o coach that's why Majerus had him there. He wasn't at slu to recruit. So when he was hired what in his coaching career made AD think he was going to be different at SLU??? That is my point. 

No that is my point - he could not coach.  He was a wreck when it came to putting a team on the floor that knew what to do.  

billiken_roy likes this

10 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Christian Negron. He tore his ACL going into his senior HS season and hasn't fully recovered, from what I can tell. He played very, very limited minutes this season, appearing for just a few minutes in about half of their games. If he can get back to 100%, look out. He was a Big Ten recruit before he went down.

They also had the freshman of the year in the conference (Krutwig, the big beefy guy) and another all-freshman team player.

Towne

2 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Towne

Townes is a junior who transferred from Farleigh Dickinson. Major contributor this year. Third in minutes, tied for third in scoring (they have 3 guys at 11.3, 11.2, and 11.2 behind Custer at 13.4). wgstl was definitely talking about Negron.

Just now, Pistol said:

Townes is a junior who transferred from Farleigh Dickinson. Major contributor this year. Third in minutes, tied for third in scoring (they have 3 guys at 11.3, 11.2, and 11.2 behind Custer at 13.4). wgstl was definitely talking about Negron.

Should have put a ? behind his name.  Thanks.