Maybe one day we can get where Loyola has gotten

1 hour ago, billikenblue said:

Rick was in a serious health condition much earlier than the public knew and was actually in the hospital praying for a heart to be donated . I personally know that Rick from my many talks with him  did not bring  Crews in  to be his successor.

I am glad to hear Majerus did not intend for Crews to be his successor.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, ChangeOfPace said:

Revisionist history is funny. Oregon was not really underseeded, they just got hot at the right time and could not miss in their conference tournament or their first two games of the NCAA tournament. If they would have lost the first game of their conference tournament there is a decent chance they wouldn’t have made the NCAA tournament at all.

Tough break for us running into a buzzsaw, but that’s the way things go sometimes.

I am not revising history in the least.  I have always felt they were severely underseeded.  Oregon went 11-2 in the non-conference portion of the season, with only losses coming at home against a ranked Cincinnati team and on the road at UTEP in a triple-OT game.  They beat a ranked UNLV on the road as well.

In the Pac-12 conference they went 12-6, tied for 2nd place.  They beat #4 Arizona at home and won at UCLA.  Dominic Artis got injured in January when they were 17-2 and undefeated in conference and on an 8 game win streak.  He missed about 6 weeks, in which the Ducks went 5-4.  Artis came back for the last three games of the conference schedule and they went 1-2 as he got back up to game speed.  This team was ranked #10 in the polls went Artis went down.  They were one of the top teams in the country.  The tourney selection committee got to see Artis back healthy for a full Pac-12 tournament.  There was no way Oregon would have gotten snubbed if they lost that Pac-12 championship.

Like I said, those Ducks should have been no lower than a #9 seed.  It was like that matchup was setup to give us a 5 -12 upset intentionally.

slubillikens43 likes this

9 hours ago, Matty Light said:

I am not revising history in the least.  I have always felt they were severely underseeded.  Oregon went 11-2 in the non-conference portion of the season, with only losses coming at home against a ranked Cincinnati team and on the road at UTEP in a triple-OT game.  They beat a ranked UNLV on the road as well.

In the Pac-12 conference they went 12-6, tied for 2nd place.  They beat #4 Arizona at home and won at UCLA.  Dominic Artis got injured in January when they were 17-2 and undefeated in conference and on an 8 game win streak.  He missed about 6 weeks, in which the Ducks went 5-4.  Artis came back for the last three games of the conference schedule and they went 1-2 as he got back up to game speed.  This team was ranked #10 in the polls went Artis went down.  They were one of the top teams in the country.  The tourney selection committee got to see Artis back healthy for a full Pac-12 tournament.  There was no way Oregon would have gotten snubbed if they lost that Pac-12 championship.

Like I said, those Ducks should have been no lower than a #9 seed.  It was like that matchup was setup to give us a 5 -12 upset intentionally.

You don’t even know what our seed was, and based on your previous response you don’t know who our coach was at the time.

2 hours ago, ChangeOfPace said:

You don’t even know what our seed was, and based on your previous response you don’t know who our coach was at the time.

Maybe read slower next time.  I know damn well who our coach was at the time.  I won't be mentioning his name on this board, though.

On 3/20/2018 at 1:54 PM, billiken_roy said:

so you say that rickma did not want crews to be the interim coach?  so who do you say rickma wanted to be the interim coach and who decided that crews was the choice instead?

Maybe I'm misremembering, but wasn't Jim Whitesell named Associate HC right before Rick got sick? I thought Crews was the third assistant behind Whitesell and Harriman.

42 minutes ago, St. Lunatic said:

Maybe I'm misremembering, but wasn't Jim Whitesell named Associate HC right before Rick got sick? I thought Crews was the third assistant behind Whitesell and Harriman.

You are right but I wonder if they wanted a guy with D1 HC experience and that would have Crews

18 hours ago, billikenblue said:

Rick was in a serious health condition much earlier than the public knew and was actually in the hospital praying for a heart to be donated . I personally know that Rick from my many talks with him  did not bring  Crews in  to be his successor.

I never said Rickma hired crews to be his successor.   But a lot happened (left) prior to crews becoming interim coach.   By the time Rickma got sick pretty much the entire coaching staff had been turned over.   His choice for interim was crews, whitesell or harimann or go outside.  Harimann had no college head coaching experience.   That left whitesell or crews.

21 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

I never said Rickma hired crews to be his successor.   But a lot happened (left) prior to crews becoming interim coach.   By the time Rickma got sick pretty much the entire coaching staff had been turned over.   His choice for interim was crews, whitesell or harimann or go outside.  Harimann had no college head coaching experience.   That left whitesell or crews.

The shame of it is that Harriman would have been the best hire of the bunch, and it isn't close. I still think he'll be a good HC somewhere someday.

19 minutes ago, Pistol said:

The shame of it is that Harriman would have been the best hire of the bunch, and it isn't close. I still think he'll be a good HC somewhere someday.

not saying he wouldnt, but it does make me question if he is an up and coming choice for a college head coach, then why all these years later has he not gotten an opportunity?

2 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Why are we still talking about the third best MVC job in the state of Indiana?

If we want to talk about a MVC coaching search, could someone explain how MO St. thought Dana Ford was the right guy for their job?

dont know, maybe no body else wanted the job?  

8 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Why are we still talking about the third best MVC job in the state of Indiana?

If we want to talk about a MVC coaching search, could someone explain how MO St. thought Dana Ford was the right guy for their job?

underwhelming hire for sure, but Missouri State has no money and their biggest benefactor is bankrupt. 

Maybe SLU could throw them a bone and schedule them as a buy game in the future when they aren't in the bottom of the Valley anymore. 

8 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

underwhelming hire for sure, but Missouri State has no money and their biggest benefactor is bankrupt. 

Maybe SLU could throw them a bone and schedule them as a buy game in the future when they aren't in the bottom of the Valley anymore. 

-who is this? if you are referring to JQH, he's kind of, well, dead

Box and Won likes this

2 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-who is this? if you are referring to JQH, he's kind of, well, dead

He is 6 feet under and now his company is bankrupt. Apparently Missouri State won't even get the amount originally pledged to them for the JQH  Arena and that spigot has stopped. 

"Several university facilities bear the Hammons name, such as Juanita K. Hammons Center for the Performing Arts, named for the late hotelier's wife, and Hammons Student Center. Hammons also promised MSU more than $30 million to help build JQH Arena, the News-Leader previously reported. The $67 million project was built as a new home for the university's basketball teams. Hammons' trust was set to pay $1.8 million a year, with the last payment scheduled for April 2032."

8 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

dont know, maybe no body else wanted the job?  

1 minute ago, JMM28 said:

I would think that job should be one of the top few jobs in the MVC just based on facilities.  Drake hired a guy with a better resume last offseason.

19 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I would think that job should be one of the top few jobs in the MVC just based on facilities.  Drake hired a guy with a better resume last offseason.

Speaking of - Niko just jumped ship after a year to go to Colorado State. 

39 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

not saying he wouldnt, but it does make me question if he is an up and coming choice for a college head coach, then why all these years later has he not gotten an opportunity?

1. He's only 37.

2. He's the associate HC at New Mexico, so basically second in line at a Mountain West program, which I'd consider a peer conference of the A10 (and stronger in some years).

3. He has a son, Avery, with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia. He has to be within close range of a medical center that has expertise in this area. That eliminates quite a few of the 351 D-I head coaching jobs. I remember reading about this when he left SLU; I think there are just a few dozen medical centers that have a full range of resources for his son, maybe in the 40-60 range nationwide (I can't remember the exact number).

SLU_Lax likes this

11 minutes ago, Pistol said:

1. He's only 37.

2. He's the associate HC at New Mexico, so basically second in line at a Mountain West program, which I'd consider a peer conference of the A10 (and stronger in some years).

3. He has a son, Avery, with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia. He has to be within close range of a medical center that has expertise in this area. That eliminates quite a few of the 351 D-I head coaching jobs. I remember reading about this when he left SLU; I think there are just a few dozen medical centers that have a full range of resources for his son, maybe in the 40-60 range nationwide (I can't remember the exact number).

good answer.  thanks!

SLU_Lax likes this

33 minutes ago, Pistol said:

When he took the job at New Mexico, leaving Tim Miles and U of Nebraska, his family stayed here in Nebraska for the medical resources available

1 hour ago, JMM28 said:

I wonder if SMS thinks that this hire is a Martin redux.  Martin had some success there and used it to move on to TN.  

3 hours ago, JMM28 said:

Speaking of - Niko just jumped ship after a year to go to Colorado State. 

I know people at Drake thinks it sucks right now, but this is much better than hiring a mediocre guy or whiffing on the hire.  Good candidates will look at Drake as a place they can really continue on an upward trajectory.