Maybe one day we can get where Loyola has gotten

I got to know Coach Moser when he was at SLU and am so happy for him and his program. Very nice fellow. Reminded me of one of Coach Majerus' SLU teams tonight against Tennessee, and why wouldn't it?! He's been there 7 years and has a sweet sixteen on his resume. AD Jeff Fisher has been at SLU 10 years and 0 sweet sixteens. I do believe Coach Majerus would of made it if his health didn't take his life. So funny because AD Fisher made a comment towards the end of the Jim Crews era, after a game in Lorenzinis, in mixed company, when Coach Moser's name was mentioned coming back to SLU. All AD Fisher said was that the guy needed to be cut off and smirked, then walked away. Can't believe Loyola is now ahead of us. Hopefully Coach Ford stays and gets us there! 

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Major congratulations go to Loyola for making the Sweet Sixteen.

Advancement in the NCAA Tournament has a lot to do with seeding and matchups.   SLU has either been in the 8-9 or 7-10 game, which brings the #1 (Michigan State in '12) or #2 seed (Kentucky in '98) in the 2nd Round.  When SLU had the better seeds, 4 seed in 2013 in San Jose, SLU found itself embedded into the de facto Pac-12 Invitational in San Jose against an NCAA admittedly underseeded 12 seed in Oregon in Round 2.  In 2014, SLU was the 5 seed, but ran into an underseeded Defending National Champion in Louisville in Round 2.

Nothing here is intended to take anything away from Loyola's accomplishment today.  Loyola is an 11 seed, drew winnable games against 6 seed Miami (FL) and 3 seed Tennessee, neither of which are College Basketball Bluebloods.   Both are football schools. 

I am very happy Loyola won.  My heart was pounding for Loyola at the end, just like it does for our Billikens.

31 minutes ago, Billy Ken said:

I got to know Coach Moser when he was at SLU and am so happy for him and his program. Very nice fellow. Reminded me of one of Coach Majerus' SLU teams tonight against Tennessee, and why wouldn't it?! He's been there 7 years and has a sweet sixteen on his resume. AD Jeff Fisher has been at SLU 10 years and 0 sweet sixteens. I do believe Coach Majerus would of made it if his health didn't take his life. So funny because AD Fisher made a comment towards the end of the Jim Crews era, after a game in Lorenzinis, in mixed company, when Coach Moser's name was mentioned coming back to SLU. All AD Fisher said was that the guy needed to be cut off and smirked, then walked away. Can't believe Loyola is now ahead of us. Hopefully Coach Ford stays and gets us there! 

Chris May??

Loyola is hardly "ahead" of us.  They are riding high and deservedly so.  If UMBC beats K State tomorrow, are they "ahead" of us too?  Rogue teams make the Sweet Sixteen every year.  As Bay said, its the matchup.  Loyola is one shot away from either game of going home.  Mason made a Final Four.  So did Indiana State.  Utah.  VCU.  Seton Hall.  Western Kentucky.  None really sustained that peak with maybe the exception of VCU.  Porter Moser and company get kudos for now.  Let's wait and see where this goes.  

4 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Loyola is hardly "ahead" of us.  They are riding high and deservedly so.  If UMBC beats K State tomorrow, are they "ahead" of us too?  Rogue teams make the Sweet Sixteen every year.  As Bay said, its the matchup.  Loyola is one shot away from either game of going home.  Mason made a Final Four.  So did Indiana State.  Utah.  VCU.  Seton Hall.  Western Kentucky.  None really sustained that peak with maybe the exception of VCU.  Porter Moser and company get kudos for now.  Let's wait and see where this goes.  

My point is they have a sweet sixteen and we don't. 

TaLBErt likes this

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

That point I'll give you.  

1 hour ago, Billy Ken said:

My point is they have a sweet sixteen and we don't. 

How many ADs among 350 D1 basketball programs have a sweet 16 during their tenure? I assume this means the AD at Loyola is far better of an AD than Chris May?

By that same logic the Loyola AD was terrible up until this week? 

The previous AD at Loyola and Father Garanzini deserve the credit for Loyola. The have a couple of recent national championships in volleyball recently, too.  Garanzini is a St. Louis native and a former SLU VP.  He left SLU for Fordham when he had enough of Biondi.  The former AD moved on to Penn a few years ago.

3 minutes ago, ARon said:

SLU’s fan base would never have been patient enough to give Moser 7 years to get to this point.

They gave Brad five years and that was with Brad taking over a program that had gone to the NCAA tournament four times in the seven years before Brad took over.

13 minutes ago, brianstl said:

The previous AD at Loyola and Father Garanzini deserve the credit for Loyola. The have a couple of recent national championships in volleyball recently, too.  Garanzini is a St. Louis native and a former SLU VP.  He left SLU for Fordham when he had enough of Biondi.  The former AD moved on to Penn a few years ago.

Garanzini (I’m not sure this is the correct spelling)is a SLU grad. 

brianstl likes this

2 hours ago, Billy Ken said:

It really is crazy that Chris May has already been around for 10 years.... Biondi probably would have canned him after Jim Crews' nuking of the program, but May lucked out with a new president coming in who gave him a 5 year extension when Ford was hired. The question for me is: was Ford's hiring even up to May? 

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

Fr. Garanzini deserves a lot of credit for everything good that had happened at Loyola during his tenure as President.

1 hour ago, willie said:

Garanzini (I’m not sure this is the correct spelling)is a SLU grad. 

Your spelling is correct.  Fr. Mike is also a McBride High School alum.  I had the good fortune of being a school mate of his at McBride and SLU.  Truly a great man.

I think this is a wild aspiration. All three of SLU’s tournament teams were better than Loyola. The fact they got a great draw while they’re playing well doesn’t change that. Has it been so long we have forgotten how good those teams were? Top 10 ranking, winning the A10 (a conference light years better than this year’s valley), and then running into title contenders MSU and Louisville (or laying an egg against Oregon). 

Congrats to Loyola and happy to see one of RM’s guys do well, but to say “hopefully one day” we can be Loyola after their first tournament appearance in 33 years. Yes, hopefully we can make a tournament every year. SLU doesn’t, and shouldn’t, want to be a Cinderella. None of our three tournament teams this decade (to Loyola’s one) would have been. 

37 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

I think this is a wild aspiration. All three of SLU’s tournament teams were better than Loyola. The fact they got a great draw while they’re playing well doesn’t change that. Has it been so long we have forgotten how good those teams were? Top 10 ranking, winning the A10 (a conference light years better than this year’s valley), and then running into title contenders MSU and Louisville (or laying an egg against Oregon). 

Congrats to Loyola and happy to see one of RM’s guys do well, but to say “hopefully one day” we can be Loyola after their first tournament appearance in 33 years. Yes, hopefully we can make a tournament every year. SLU doesn’t, and shouldn’t, want to be a Cinderella. None of our three tournament teams this decade (to Loyola’s one) would have been. 

great post, but i would like to clarify one thing - that Oregon team was really good too

I want SLU to be SLU.

From the old Kiel to the new Kiel to the Jewel of Midtown.

From Coach G saving the program ... to Majerus getting a top 10 ranking...to TFord moving it to the next level.

From Billiken Roy posting 20,000 times on SluSignGuy’s Billikens.com to TheOne emerging as the new Nostradamus.

Conklin summers for everyone, then come Team Blue beatdowns of defense and rebounding. Cant wait.

Whoa!

Before we canonize Porter for sainthood lets look at Porter's past at Loyola. It not like Porter just arrived at Loyola and miraculously resurrected the Ramblers. 

This is his 7th year at Loyola. 1st 2 years in the Horizon he had a conference record of 6-28. This is 5th year in the MVC, take away this year and his conference record 27-45. This was the 1st year since he arrived that the Gentile Ctr ever experienced a sell-out. Gentile seats a little less then 5000.

I'm happy for Porter and hope he advances but lets keep this in perspective. A few years ago the good Dr Gianni had a sweet 16 run, no one, I think, would want Dr John. Also seem to recall, every time he filled in for Rickma, we lost.

We been better then Loyola and have a lot more going for us with TF, Chaifetz Center and A10.  The future is bright.

Loyola was a crap program for two decades before Porter took over.  This is the fourth year in a row they will finish well ahead of us in the Pomeroy rankings.  The high schoolers we are recruiting were in grade school the last time we were a better team than Loyola.

TaLBErt likes this

I just want longterm consistency. I'm tired of SLU fans having to view their program's 3 years of success as nothing but a short lived piece of history. I'm tired of the local media seeing SLU's success as "cute" but nothing more than a fluke or anomaly. I want us to just have some damn longterm commitment and sustained winning. So that we don't have to keep living in this program's mediocre past and long for "the good old days." I just want our team to be exciting to watch, gritty, powerful, intimidating to the opponents... Year in and year out. We need to make sure Ford stays for a long time, or at least have a contingency plan for if he moves on. Good programs (and athletic directors for that matter) are always thinking ahead so that they don't have situations like Crewsplatt that set a program back to the dark ages. 

NextYearBill likes this