Coaching Carousel

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

MO St.’s coaching search appears to be turning into a train wreck. The guy who paid Lusk’s buy out supposedly is demanding that the next coach keeps one of the assistant coaches because they have sons that are really good friends with each other.  The same donor is demanding the DBO stays for some reason, too.  This is scaring off most candidates.

It looks like Rob Jeter is now the guy who is the leading candidate for the job.  Jeter is going to somehow turn getting fired a couple of years ago at Milwaukee into moving up in the coaching ranks.

This has disaster written all over it.

3 hours ago, brianstl said:

MO St.’s coaching search appears to be turning into a train wreck. The guy who paid Lusk’s buy out supposedly is demanding that the next coach keeps one of the assistant coaches because they have sons that are really good friends with each other.  The same donor is demanding the DBO stays for some reason, too.  This is scaring off most candidates.

It looks like Rob Jeter is now the guy who is the leading candidate for the job.  Jeter is going to somehow turn getting fired a couple of years ago at Milwaukee into moving up in the coaching ranks.

This has disaster written all over it.

This is a shame.  Mo St should have a good program.

Evansville has always intrigued me.  When we were conference mates I would go to those games every year.  I thought hiring Marty Simmons, also a local connection there, was a good move by them.  Now Cheaney is a candidate.  I hope Crew and co all get hired there and we can observe their program get downgraded to D-2 while Ford is leading SLU to multiple NCAA berths.

2 minutes ago, thetorch said:

This is a shame.  Mo St should have a good program.

Evansville has always intrigued me.  When we were conference mates I would go to those games every year.  I thought hiring Marty Simmons, also a local connection there, was a good move by them.  Now Cheaney is a candidate.  I hope Crew and co all get hired there and we can observe their program get downgraded to D-2 while Ford is leading SLU to multiple NCAA berths.

The Bears have the facilities and the potential fan base to be the premier program in the Valley after the defections.  JHQ is a awesome facility.  There is no excuse for them to have gone 20 years without a tourney bid.

9 minutes ago, brianstl said:

The Bears have the facilities and the potential fan base to be the premier program in the Valley after the defections.  JHQ is a awesome facility.  There is no excuse for them to have gone 20 years without a tourney bid.

They became the Midwest St. Mary's with Hinson as coach and it has just been awful since they got rid of him.  Spoon would get downstate MO, OK, and Arkansas overlooked talent to go there.  They have tons of money to throw around.

47 minutes ago, thetorch said:

They became the Midwest St. Mary's with Hinson as coach and it has just been awful since they got rid of him.  Spoon would get downstate MO, OK, and Arkansas overlooked talent to go there.  They have tons of money to throw around.

1.5 Million could have gotten the a bag full of Porters.

HoosierPal likes this

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

According to the Evansville Courier, if finances can be ironed out, the coaching job is Cheaneys. Simmons only made 1/4 million so assume a jump is needed in salary. 

I hope Cheaney is trying to get those finances for his staff instead of him.  That is far more important to him being successful there.  

5 hours ago, brianstl said:

I hope Cheaney is trying to get those finances for his staff instead of him.  That is far more important to him being successful there.  

The article did allude to staffing issues as being another topic being discussed. 

Pitt has reached out to the guy from UMBC. I'm not saying the guy is not a good coach and could turn out to be a good hire if they go in that direction, but it just goes to show you how quickly a coach can quickly become the flavor of the month with a well-timed victory in March. I'm kinda thinking this would have seemed impossible just a couple months ago after UMBC loss to Albany 83-39. :o

4 minutes ago, ACE said:

Pitt has reached out to the guy from UMBC. I'm not saying the guy is not a good coach and could turn out to be a good hire if they go in that direction, but it just goes to show you how quickly a coach can quickly become the flavor of the month with a well-timed victory in March. I'm kinda thinking this would have seemed impossible just a couple months ago after UMBC loss to Albany 83-39. :o

Excellent point - this is why so many of them fail.

Ryan Odom has a nice pedigree ..... son of former Wake coach Dave Odom who might have been at the Wake helm when Duncan and Childress eliminated us in the round of 32 in Baltimore 20 years ago.

UMBC was 25 - 11 this year after 21 -13 last year.  The year before that they were 7 - 25 after being 4 - 26 the year before. So Odom inherited a program very far down the pecking order of an American East Conference dominated by Albany and Vermont. He has a nice pedigree serving on Greenberg's staff at Virginia Tech and being named interim head coach at old CUSA foe Charlotte when Alan Major took a medical leave of absence to finish out 2015.  Major and staff were then fired at the end of 2015.  But you are right ---- flavor of the moment.

I also love all the posts of Golden Retrievers once UMBC won.  They are named for the state of Maryland dog ---- the Chesapeake Bay Retriever.  Take that one to final "Jeopardy" with you.  

Kermit Davis gets a nice salary at $2.5 million with an assistant coach budget of $900,000 at Ole Miss. For those with short memories, Davis got caught at Texas A&M in the 1990's for using a street agent to go after a Syracuse transfer.  He got canned for it but now has made his way back.

Louisville has loaded up the Brink's Truck with Marshall, Smart, and Mack on their list.

Hardaway made official at Memphis today.