Coaching Carousel

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

-unless Bonnie can find a good replacement, Schmidt leaving is not good for the A10 as somehow he has been able to get kids to that campus in the middle of no where who win and I could be completely off base here, but I doubt Bonnie has the resources to compete with an offer from Pitt

1 hour ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

So do you think they'd bring Pat Kelsey home, is they'd just keep Steele? 

Probably elevate Steele. I also think Luke Murray is HC material, even at a high level. Xavier has had success hiring existing assistants, and there might be some other good candidates out there, but it would come with a total staff and roster change, not to mention a potential cultural change. I think the fan base is proud of what they are and where they are now, and they can do it from within.

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

Louisville is offering him $9 million more total than X.  I could imagine staying if the offers were $1 or 2 million apart total.  Mack would be a fool to leave $9 million on the table.

That may or may not be true.  If he goes to Louisville, yes, he's locking in more money.  However, he's entrenched at Xavier.  He knows how to recruit to Xavier to be a top level program, and he's been successful in doing so.  If he goes to Louisville, he now has to recruit to compete with Duke and North Carolina.  Pressure is higher.  Expectations are higher.  Chance of getting fired at some point is much, much higher than if he stays at Xavier and keeps cashing his $3.2 million dollar checks every year from now until he retires.

Coaches are starting to realize this (Few, Marshall).  I think he might actually be using this situation to cash in at Xavier.  I think he'd be smart to stay, even though there is a difference in salary.

2 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Probably elevate Steele. I also think Luke Murray is HC material, even at a high level. Xavier has had success hiring existing assistants, and there might be some other good candidates out there, but it would come with a total staff and roster change, not to mention a potential cultural change. I think the fan base is proud of what they are and where they are now, and they can do it from within.

Actually Luke Murray could be an interesting hire for Bonawelding if Schmidt leaves. You think Bill Murray would be able to find Olean?

10 minutes ago, ACE said:

Actually Luke Murray could be an interesting hire for Bonawelding if Schmidt leaves. You think Bill Murray would be able to find Olean?

Bill is spending most of his time in Charleston these days, basically every moment he's not working. He doesn't come to Cincy much, maybe just a few home games a season, but he hits some road games if they're in NYC, DC, early-season tournaments in warm-weather locales - places like that. I don't think he'd be heading up to Olean very often.

15 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Yeah, the continuity you’d get with Steele might outweigh the head coaching experience of Kelsey. An X alum friend told me years ago that Kelsey should be next in line. He seems like a good guy, so it’d be cool to see him get his dream job.

11 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

That may or may not be true.  If he goes to Louisville, yes, he's locking in more money.  However, he's entrenched at Xavier.  He knows how to recruit to Xavier to be a top level program, and he's been successful in doing so.  If he goes to Louisville, he now has to recruit to compete with Duke and North Carolina.  Pressure is higher.  Expectations are higher.  Chance of getting fired at some point is much, much higher than if he stays at Xavier and keeps cashing his $3.2 million dollar checks every year from now until he retires.

Coaches are starting to realize this (Few, Marshall).  I think he might actually be using this situation to cash in at Xavier.  I think he'd be smart to stay, even though there is a difference in salary.

$9 million is a big difference in money he would never get back.  Five years from now if it doesn't workout at Louisville, Mack can get another job paying him more than he was making at X. 

Tom Crean is the perfect example. He leaves Marquette for Indiana.  It doesn't work out at Indiana.  He takes a year off and now he is getting paid a million more per by Georgia than he ever was making at Marquette.  Coaches that have a Resume like Mack's know this.

2 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Huggins was an alum of WV - dream come true for him.  Martin left because he got into it with the AD I believe.  Who else do you have in mind?

Lon Kruger was a K-State alum and he left. Also, I believe Dana Altman left after him.

1 hour ago, Matty Light said:

Which job would you rather have--head coach of Kansas Jayhawks or head coach of Sacremento Kings?

I'd take the Jayhawks but would have to commute from Kansas City, MO.  No way I would ever live in Kansas.

id take the kings simply because recruiting repulses me.   id never want to recruit college athletics at the D1 level.  

37 minutes ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

Yeah, the continuity you’d get with Steele might outweigh the head coaching experience of Kelsey. An X alum friend told me years ago that Kelsey should be next in line. He seems like a good guy, so it’d be cool to see him get his dream job.

Kelsey was that guy for sure (the fans really liked him here), but he left. He's been good at Winthrop, but has he done enough to come back and get the XU job? I'm not so sure. Timing is everything.

15 minutes ago, brianstl said:

How do you attract anything resembling a quality candidate for that job when you are actively exploring dropping out of D1?

I don't think they are actively exploring dropping out of Division 1. I was on a pretty senior Committee there, and they had/have 3 projects in the works: 1) New campus church, 2) revamp the basketball 'arena', and 3) build a new B-school. They chose the 3rd option to start.

My take is that their next project will be revamping Gola...which is a chore. Don't get me wrong, they will have a tough time recruiting a quality coach with the area and facilities being what they are, but I think talk of the school dropping down a division is a bit premature. The President walked-back that comment considerably. 

27 minutes ago, brianstl said:

How do you attract anything resembling a quality candidate for that job when you are actively exploring dropping out of D1?

Jeff Goodman mentioned Tim Legler was an alum and looking to get into college coaching.

15 minutes ago, Bizziken said:

I don't think they are actively exploring dropping out of Division 1. I was on a pretty senior Committee there, and they had/have 3 projects in the works: 1) New campus church, 2) revamp the basketball 'arena', and 3) build a new B-school. They chose the 3rd option to start.

My take is that their next project will be revamping Gola...which is a chore. Don't get me wrong, they will have a tough time recruiting a quality coach with the area and facilities being what they are, but I think talk of the school dropping down a division is a bit premature. The President walked-back that comment considerably. 

-I hope this doesn't mean removing the duct work