2018 NCAA Tournament Thread

CBFan

6 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

The play in games should be exclusively 16 seeds and all "one bid leagues". This is overly simplistic idea. Maybe give them to the best one bid league regular season champions that don't win their tournament?

The whole "First Round" in Dayton is for television money, not fairness.  I really don't know if anyone would watch if those were the teams playing.  For example, I watched the UCLA - St. Bonaventure game last night because it was intriguing.  I didn't watch the Long Island - Hofstra game last night because who gives a crap?

I will probably do the same tonight.  If it were New Mexico State vs. Bucknell tonight, I wouldn't watch that one either.

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, wgstl said:

That is a funny take.  But to be fair, I have no idea what people normally talk about in Olean so maybe it is accurate.  Coach said after the game, they wanted to win that one for Bob Lanier so they obviously hold on to these tourney memories for a long time.

33 minutes ago, kshoe said:

This March, optimism has taken a precipitous dive in Murfreesboro, twinning with a larger trend outside of college basketball’s top conferences. The NCAA tournament committee has felt more like a cartel the past three seasons, as just three at-large teams have been selected for the NCAA tournament from outside the top seven conferences – ACC, AAC, Big East, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12, SEC – in each of the last three seasons. The nine at-large bids from smaller leagues over the past three years is a stark comparison to the 28 at-large bids for teams outside the top leagues in a three-year span from 2012 to 2014.

I think the small guys are getting screwed somewhat, but this article overstates what is actually happening.  There are just more teams in those conferences now and that accounts for a big part of the different numbers.  Xavier, Creighton, Butler, Houston, TCU, Wichita St., Temple, SMU, Utah, Tulsa and Memphis all moved up to those conferences from the non-top conferences.  They have all gotten a bid or multiple bids to the NCAA tournament in that time period.  That is where the missing bids are for the smaller conferences.  Those programs took them with them when they moved up.  The big time basketball conferences had more good teams in the last three seasons than the prior three seasons.

4 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I think the small guys are getting screwed somewhat, but this article overstates what is actually happening.  There are just more teams in those conferences now and that accounts for a big part of the different numbers.  Xavier, Creighton, Butler, Houston, TCU, Wichita St., Temple, SMU, Utah, Tulsa and Memphis all moved up to those conferences from the non-top conferences.  They have all gotten a bid or multiple bids to the NCAA tournament in that time period.  That is where the missing bids are for the smaller conferences.  Those programs took them with them when they moved up.  The big time basketball conferences had more good teams in the last three seasons than the prior three seasons.

Agreed.  Consolidation has been the bigger culprit here, and to be fair, the article does state that.  

1 hour ago, SShoe said:

Agreed.  Consolidation has been the bigger culprit here, and to be fair, the article does state that.  

What's true in college basketball is also a microcosm of the current climate in big business. Consolidation = more $$$

It's unfortunate for the little guys, but money is all that matters to the NCAA and these power 5 schools anymore....

1 hour ago, Matty Light said:

That is a funny take.  But to be fair, I have no idea what people normally talk about in Olean so maybe it is accurate.  Coach said after the game, they wanted to win that one for Bob Lanier so they obviously hold on to these tourney memories for a long time.

I didnt like how he made this like a major day in A10 history.  I expect most A10 teams who make the tourney to win a game.  If Davidson was playing like anyone else(you know what I mean) I would take them. 

1 hour ago, Matty Light said:

The whole "First Round" in Dayton is for television money, not fairness.  I really don't know if anyone would watch if those were the teams playing.  For example, I watched the UCLA - St. Bonaventure game last night because it was intriguing.  I didn't watch the Long Island - Hofstra game last night because who gives a crap?

I will probably do the same tonight.  If it were New Mexico State vs. Bucknell tonight, I wouldn't watch that one either.

I did not watch the LIU game against Hofstra either but my reason was because it was the LIU/Radford game that was on.  Of course any of us on this forum would be watching the StB/UCLA game due to our conf affiliation.

11 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

I did not watch the LIU game against Hofstra either but my reason was because it was the LIU/Radford game that was on.  Of course any of us on this forum would be watching the StB/UCLA game due to our conf affiliation.

Touche.  Obviously I don't care enough to remember what 16 seed teams are in the tournament.  They are invisible to anyone outside of those schools' fanbase.  My point is that the First Four is about television dollars, and people will tune in to see a St. Bonnie/UCLA game.  I don't the country at-large would tune in to see two one-bid league auto-qualifiers with double-digit seeds play each other.  They will always get higher ratings showing a couple of At-Large bid teams from larger conferences try to knock each other out of the Big Dance.

I don't think the NCAA and its broadcast partners give a crap about what Billiken Forum members are wanting to watch.  That certainly doesn't play into which matchup they want in the First Four.

brownie is on of those guys you have to get a good chuckle from .... I do.  I appreciate the thanks but then the zinger that he thinks we need a year or two.  Of course, maybe its not a zinger and that's okay too.

brownie:  is Stockard a junior as listed on TV and on your roster?  Or is he a senior as listed on Verbal Commits?  Did he get two redshirt years for his medical/foot issues?  It says he graduated from Jennings in 2013.  Two years at JUCO makes that 13-14 and 14-15.  So he comes to Olean in Fall 2015 meaning he'd have play 15-16 and 16-17. Yet here we are in 17-18 and he has no stats or notes from those two years.  If he is indeed back next year, that means the two medical redshirts, right?  If he's back, that makes for a nice and competitive front line of Stockard, Griffin, Ayeni and Ikpeze (although the rising juniors are way too raw right now).  Problem will be who runs with Kaputo (who's really not strong enough)?  I know its the UNLV transfer Poyser is supposed to be the answer but that will take some time and you still need more.  On a side note, my boss' nephew is Izaiah Brockington.  He's off to Dallas tonight.

The Texas Southern and NC Central game was brutal and had to turn it off.

Texas Southern improved their record to 16-19, shot 36.8% and NC Central shot 30.4% and went 0-14 from 3 point.

Rhodey and OU tied at 69 going into OT.  Rhodey has a couple of chances to win it.

Just now, RiseAndGrind said:

So by @kshoe‘s math slu is up $60k so far - nice!

and the A10 is undefeated

It's not $30k per win.  It is $30k per game.  Therefore, SLU has $150k minimum from this year's tournament (3 games to be played) and each additional win by an A-10 school adds $30k because it means an A10 school will play another game.

Any additional A10 wins at this point would be fairly large upsets.

3 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

It's not $30k per win.  It is $30k per game.  Therefore, SLU has $150k minimum from this year's tournament (3 games to be played) and each additional win by an A-10 school adds $30k because it means an A10 school will play another game.

Any additional A10 wins at this point would be fairly large upsets.

Oh, right. Duh. Should have thought about my statement for more than 2 seconds.

thanks. 

On 3/14/2018 at 11:56 AM, brownindians said:

Thank you Taj 79. And thanks to all of you Billiken Bonnie fans!

I would think that next year or the year after will be your turn.

Go Bonnies

Hope Bonnies beat the Gators!

Great going Rhody A10 2-0 in the big dance.  Tennessee beats Wright state.

Just noticed 10 of our 33 games this season were against teams playing in the tourney.

No idea if thats a little or a lot, especially compared to other seasons but seems like a good amount.