CBFan

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

That's how Michigan feels.

Villanova looked completely dominant tonight.

That said, I think Michigan has a real shot to win it.  I will use one of this board’s favorite stats from the 3 year tourney run era to show why the Wolverines should match up well against Nova.  After tonight the Wolverines rank 5th in fewest opponents 3 pointers made per game.

Michigan is great at stopping what Nova does best.

In hindsight, Michigan was exposed for being as weak as they were.  Wagner went nuts for a little under six minutes, and then had 11 points in the first nine minutes but went dormant after that.  He was a one-man wrecking crew but eventually sputtered to a halt.  Spellman's denial defense was a thing a beauty -- sure, Wagner scored another seven to end with 16 but he had to work his arse off for all that.  When he broke to the basket in the second half but got stripped with weak side ball help form Divincenzo, that said it all.  I also thought the Spellman impersonation of a Broad Street Bully on the offensive foul of Wagner's on Brunson was key.  That deflated Wagner tremendously.  Gillespie's back-and-forth drive under the basket resulting in Wagner's fourth foul sealed his doom.  And Michigan's.  Bu it was over just before half when, despite playing as bad as they did when Michigan played as well as they did, Nova took the lead for good.

Abdur-Rahim scored 23 but a lot of it seemed to come late.  Matthews, their leading scorer couldn't play defense and was in foul trouble.  Zavier Simpson is the worst point guard I think I have ever seen in a final game.  Yes he scored ten but so what.  He didn't involve th eothers, didn't reall yrun any offense, and was somewhat of a liability on defense to start.  I don't know who their fifth man was and their bench scored seven, with Big Ten Sixth Man of the Year completely MIA.  Their offense seemed to be a lot of one-on-one and free lancing and the better team wore them down and knocked them out. 

What you saw with Nova was exactly what we didn't have this year.  Seven guys could all hit the three including their starting center.  We had JJ and prayers.  This is the option S2.0 took away from us.  This is our Achilles heel heading into next year.  Villanova won with a proven leader and a supporting cast equally dangerous from the perimeter.  They won by being interchangeable on defense and automatically switching on every ball screen.  They had that one guy who seemed to go en fuego each and every night.  They played an offense where no one called a play, folks just "knew" what to do.  Given what he did last night, I don't know if Divincenzo can EVER do that again.  Kid was onions, to quote the Raft.  Expect the copycats to join the Nova bandwagon and try to apply that model there.

Even if we get to Gonzaga and Xavier and Butler status, that is still a rung or two below where Nova is right now. 

dennis_w likes this

-Nova has certainly raised the bar a notch or two

-looking at KenPom for their stats, overall #1 offense, #11 defense, as to shooting #11 3pt%, #2 pt% and #11 FT%, compared to us, which is no comparison, we were #225 overall offense, #80 defense, and our shooting #314 3pt%, #301 2pt% and #334 FT%, only place we get Nova is offensive rebounding because we had to as we couldn't make shots

30 minutes ago, Billikenbooster said:

Not doubting you, but seems strange to be 225 in overall offense, but 314 in 3pt, 301 in  2pt, and 334 in FT.  Unless those were percentages, and we put up a whole lot of shots (which I dont think we did, since we slowed it down a bit)

mhg

We got to the line really well - we led the country in FT rate by a decent margin. That plus offensive rebounding helped us out quite a bit. 

19 minutes ago, Zink said:

We got to the line really well - we led the country in FT rate by a decent margin. That plus offensive rebounding helped us out quite a bit. 

-Zink has the answer, #1 in FT rate and #31 in offensive rebound %

I don't know will ever get back to 30 mil but I think not being network (CBS/NBC/ABC) hurts it with the casual fan not tuning in. Main culprit is this 'one year then to the NBA'. Casual fans will always tune in to see a super star. Will never see a Bird-Magic match-up again. 

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/ncaa-final-four-ratings-history-most-watched-games-cbs-tbs-nbc/

Interesting data on TV viewers for National Championship game, 1975 to 2018.  In the good old days, 30 million viewers was a reasonable expectation. 

That 30 million in 1980 was with 100 million less people in the country.  But........

Most people only had 5 or 6 channels total to chose from.  99% of the population had no way to record anything to watch later.  Most people didn't have a computer or gaming system in the home.  Most people didn't even have a VCR.  Most homes had only one TV.  One TV in the house meant that if dad was watching the game, everyone in the house was watching the game.

19 minutes ago, brianstl said:

That 30 million in 1980 was with 100 million less people in the country.  But........

Most people only had 5 or 6 channels total to chose from.  99% of the population had no way to record anything to watch later.  Most people didn't have a computer or gaming system in the home.  Most people didn't even have a VCR.  Most homes had only one TV.  One TV in the house meant that if dad was watching the game, everyone in the house was watching the game.

Yeah, this. Every time I see a "ratings down" article, it's because ratings are down for literally everything that has been on TV for a long period of time. Culture is so, so fragmented and people aren't watching TV like they used to, now streaming from a multitude of apps on a variety of devices. It's hard to believe ratings are even measured the way they are; it was a bad system when everyone watched fewer TV channels live.