2018 NCAA Tournament Thread

CBFan

1 hour ago, bauman said:

We have no reason to be down on Brad.  He did as well as could be expected with the lack of support and facilities he had.  No, he wasn't exciting, but he was a good person and in-game coach .  Didn't he win 20 games his last year as the Billiken coach?  Was he them guy to excite donors? No but that doesn't make him a bad coach or person.  I wish him well where ever he coaches

Lol an excerpt from “chicken soup for the number one seed soul.” 

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

More and more has come out on Brad since he was gone.  While he was here I thought he was a guy who squeezed everything out of his team but really he was an extremely poor recruiter, Crews level poor, who pissed off the talent that he did have, and couldn't motivate his teams.  His teams should have been better, that's why he was fired.  

14 hours ago, slufan13 said:

Albany beat UMBC by 43 this season

Definitely One Shining Moment for them. They were unconscious in the 2nd half. I thought in a very tough moment for him Tony Bennett was very gracious after that 2nd half beat down. Anyone else remember attending the Bills VS University of Wisconsin Green Bay NIT game at Kiel in 1990. Tony was their star player and his old man was HC. Bills won 58-54 and ended up losing the the NIT Final.

kapills likes this

2 hours ago, bauman said:

We have no reason to be down on Brad.  He did as well as could be expected with the lack of support and facilities he had.  No, he wasn't exciting, but he was a good person and in-game coach .  Didn't he win 20 games his last year as the Billiken coach?  Was he them guy to excite donors? No but that doesn't make him a bad coach or person.  I wish him well where ever he coaches

He was a terrible coach. He had no clue what to do and said so many times after his losses!

Mizzou doesn't really have a whole lot of superstar pieces coming in. Watson will be good, but not good enough to lead an offense weakened by Porter's departure. Too few pieces, too little experience... Mizzou is fairly weak at guard right now, and if they don't land Ramey then I don't think they'll be trending anywhere but down for the next few years. Cuonzo relied too heavily on the hiring of Porter Sr. to bring two top recruits. A quick fix but too unstable for the longterm...

I am NOT a Mizzou fan at all, but I don't think MPJ hurt his draft status at all last night.  He could hardly make it up and down the court, and I'm sure he'll even admit he did not play well at all, BUT he did score 16 and had 10 rebounds.  I would take that every night from out bigs.  I also agree that Robertson was the find of the century.  Mizzou finishes near the bottom of the conference without him.  I do wish Travis can find a magical grad transfer like him.

I was getting sick of the announcers and P-D writers whining and talking about Mizzou being short-handed last night.  Hey, guess what?  SLU was forced to be short-handed FOR THE ENTIRE YEAR and still finished over .500.  Travis has done more with the hands he's been dealt than any other coach EVER.  I can't wait till next year!!

CBFan likes this

12 minutes ago, GMan Alum said:

I am NOT a Mizzou fan at all, but I don't think MPJ hurt his draft status at all last night.  He could hardly make it up and down the court, and I'm sure he'll even admit he did not play well at all, BUT he did score 16 and had 10 rebounds.  I would take that every night from out bigs.  I also agree that Robertson was the find of the century.  Mizzou finishes near the bottom of the conference without him.  I do wish Travis can find a magical grad transfer like him.

I was getting sick of the announcers and P-D writers whining and talking about Mizzou being short-handed last night.  Hey, guess what?  SLU was forced to be short-handed FOR THE ENTIRE YEAR and still finished over .500.  Travis has done more with the hands he's been dealt than any other coach EVER.  I can't wait till next year!!

It's probably pretty easy to recruit an awesome grad transfer when you can tell him he will be passing to the #1 recruit in the country. 

I bet he is kind of pissed. He signed on to play with Porter and only got 2 games with him.

33 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Has anyone ever laughed at your jokes?

Yes. Have you ever been hugged? Done anything for others? I’ll hang up and listen to your answer. I don’t understand your vitriol. It’s like you have to keep a scoreboard of things. Have any hobbies? Volunteer groups? Peter Pan in a generic SLU jersey. 

8 minutes ago, Bobby Metzinger said:

Yes. Have you ever been hugged? Done anything for others? I’ll hang up and listen to your answer. I don’t understand your vitriol. It’s like you have to keep a scoreboard of things. Have any hobbies? Volunteer groups? Peter Pan in a generic SLU jersey. 

Yes to all. Remember when you made deadspin. That was fun 

1 hour ago, thetorch said:

More and more has come out on Brad since he was gone.  While he was here I thought he was a guy who squeezed everything out of his team but really he was an extremely poor recruiter, Crews level poor, who pissed off the talent that he did have, and couldn't motivate his teams.  His teams should have been better, that's why he was fired.  

56 minutes ago, Bills71 said:

He was a terrible coach. He had no clue what to do and said so many times after his losses!

In fairness to Brad, his teams were nowhere near as awful as the last 2 years of Jim Crews.  The teams in Brad's first few seasons were in the Kempom 75 - 100 range or so.  Those were NIT teams, but he was mostly using Romar's players.  Then he bottomed out around Kenpom 166 in Polk's freshman year before settling in around 125 or so the next couple of years with Lisch & Liddell leading the way.  Meanwhile the last 2 seasons under Crews our Kenpom was well over 200.

Brad was a mediocre recruiter, but he could get decent players if he had playing time to offer.  He brought in Lisch & Liddell after all.  Probably not that much better than Crews overall though.  Brad's teams somewhat lacked talent, but more so lacked depth.  Crews teams lacked talent, but had "depth" at lower talent level.  Coaching though I think Brad was head and shoulders above Crews.  Brad at least had a plan which was stick to the boring slow tempo style and pack line defense he knew from Wisconsin days.  Unfortunately, this helped kill buzz around the program because that style is not very fun to watch.  Crews never seemed to have a clue what he was doing coaching wise and he couldn't ever establish a rotation of players to rely on.

3 hours ago, SLU_Lax said:

So I did miss a lot of this I think because I was in college out-of-state during much of his era, but was Uncle Brad not likable?  I get the team was mediocre, but Drejaj and Lisch and Ian were all likable and/or entertaining to watch. Was I just not in the know?

Brad was a nice guy who knew how to coach.  He got a lot of his players - the problem was he could not get talent here other than Lisch and Liddell.  He just could not fill his open schollies and sack good recruiting classes.  He made what RM would call the classic recruiting mistake - stay to long a kid who really does not want to come here without moving on early.  I will never forget the kid who wanted to go to Iowa but the coach got fired and he just waited until the new coach worked his way to finally evaluating him.  He was willing to wait the Iowa thing out rather than come to SLU where he was wanted.  Drejaj was not bad but he was not a great player - Ian was good.  Brad just could not recruit any talent.  He lost out many more times then he won.

dennis_w and SLU_Lax like this

3 hours ago, BourbanStreet said:

So for Mizzou's "all-star freshman" class that brought them to the round of 64 (sorry it wasn't the elite 8 Jose), there will be only one left next year. Two transferred before conference play. Porters will be gone next year. Left with a guy who fell short of expectations this year. Wow.

The younger Porter should still be there if dad is.

2 hours ago, TFord and TRavs said:

Mizzou will crumble next year. No porters and no leadership next year. The supporting cast of porter has left too. They lucked out in an overhyped SEC conference. 

This was their one shot and they missed even with the number 1 recruit

who you gonna root for now?

6 hours ago, Bobby Metzinger said:

Don’t forget the Silver Swords of Chaminade, Ralph. I mean, to be affiliated with a school that has arguably suffered the two most unthinkable losses in NCAA basketball history?? Wow. 

Applachian State - Michigan types can and have happened in college football pretty much every season. Troy beat LSU in Baton Rouge this past season. 

This is simply unprecedented. It was interesting listening to Nance and Rafftery yesterday and their tone with UMBC. They went from pest to pedastal with each basket, especially in the second half. I think it would have been crazy had it been a buzzer beater, but the fact they destroyed the overall number one seed is just mind boggling. I hope they make a huge run and history is on their side - a 16 seed has NEVER lost in the second round of the NCAA tournament. 

good point, every game they win will be a first from here on out.

<cuonzo can coach, so even without the porters mizzou will be ok. might take a a bit of a dip, depends on who he can get to replace them. lots of transfers out there>

More Porters are in the nest too.

Thursday & Friday first dance weekend coverage is great but they need to work on the 8 games a day first weekend coverage. They should start at 1 and have more overlap early and not bunch them all together around dinner time. Early blow outs suck when there's nothing else to switch to.

dennis_w likes this

In regards to the UVA loss....now this qualifies as an upset .....UMBC  a  C- team beats Va an A+ team.  To give some perspective, UMBC is the equivalent to George Mason. Generally, teams that are selected (vs qualifying) grade out as A- or better with a few B+ s.

So the question is ......If the Bills  played UMBC tomorrow???.......Bills by 4

Loyola throughing away their game with Tennessee two straight turnovers 1 point in the last 3 minutes